Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You have just proven my point I try to make to those who may be "loving their bike to death". Experts here disagree, but I can't imagine "rinsing" a bike as with a garden hose, is very good for it. You are taking that sweaty bar tape and turning it into soaking wet bar tape with salty sweat mixed in that will take even longer to dry than if you just put the bike away as-is. A better idea would be to pad dry with a dry cloth as best you can.
    I'll wipe it down with a damp rag after a sweaty ride and hose it down when dirty. My headsets take a beating from my left knee, though only cosmetic. My left foot stays clipped in while stopped, and resting my leg up against the bike puts my sweaty knee up against the headset. Same for the stem, though not as much as there is only minor contact to stem.

Just honest wear that comes from use. I've got bikes that I've had 30yrs that haven't succumbed to rust yet.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    Well my friend. They call me sweaty! Multiply whatever you think you sweat x10 and then add some more. While I ride I drip down when I move my head. My headsets drip rust after a ride and I have to continue spraying them with lithium grease after each ride. They last me about a year before they get loose and need replacement.
    So no steel for me since that was one of my mayor concerns. RUST! And I live by the ocean and.....
    Ahhhh, you live by the ocean in a hot, humid climate. Salt spray and humidity are probably just as much to blame as anything.

Sweat pours down from my head too unless I wear a skull cap. Do you wear one? They work:

https://tinyurl.com/yabg7jze
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I have rusted through 2 steel frames (an old Raleigh and a Ritchey). And yes it was sweat, it didn't corrode from the inside. I now have 3 Ti frames, but the problem isn't completely solved with Ti because my sweat corrodes through aluminum too, I have popped several front derailleur clamps because of the corrosion build up between the clamp and the Ti frame. I've also corroded completely through aluminum bars despite rinsing the bar tape once a week, and corroded through the Campy nuts that hold on the levers. And before the bike care arguments begin, I clean my bike after every ride. There must be a certain sweat type that corrodes heavily and I have it, because a lot of my friends pretty much never clean their bikes, sweat a lot, and their steel bikes are just fine.
    Obvious cause: your mother was abducted by aliens and you carry their DNA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Ahhhh, you live by the ocean in a hot, humid climate. Salt spray and humidity are probably just as much to blame as anything.

Sweat pours down from my head too unless I wear a skull cap. Do you wear one? They work:

https://tinyurl.com/yabg7jze
    My wife bought me a couple. I tried them but all they do is delay the inevitable. After 1 he they are drenched in sweat and dripping profusely. More than without. Whenever I ride during the summer every 2hr ride I get home and I can squeeze my clothing and it will drip. My socks are wet and I can also squeeze them. That is how bad I sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    My wife bought me a couple. I tried them but all they do is delay the inevitable. After 1 he they are drenched in sweat and dripping profusely. More than without. Whenever I ride during the summer every 2hr ride I get home and I can squeeze my clothing and it will drip. My socks are wet and I can also squeeze them. That is how bad I sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yikes! But come to think of it, if I lived in Miami, I would probably sweat that way as well. Not that we don't get plenty of hot, hazy, humid weather in NJ. Though when highs are above 90, I go out early or choose easier routes.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Try sweat gutr. Works for some.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456