Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Ti as a "forever" bike?

Hey Everyone,

I would like your opinion on Ti frames. I know there are a ton of forums out there about Ti vs. carbon vs. steel, etc, therefore I apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse.

I'm thinking about getting a Ti Frame, more specifically the Litespeed T1 SL and looking to use that as the coffee shop bike and maybe do a few uphill TT's, but nothing more serious than that. I've owned and ridden high end carbon bikes such as Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP's, SWorks Tarmac, etc but there something about Ti that really piques my interest.

So the question is, for anyone who has ridden a Ti bike, is it worth it? Will it be comparable to, let's say, the 2016 SWorks Tarmac in terms of ride quality, light weight, stiffness, etc? If Ti is worth it, then my goal would be to hold onto the Ti frame indefinitely and just upgrade components over the years. Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttk5180 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I would like your opinion on Ti frames. I know there are a ton of forums out there about Ti vs. carbon vs. steel, etc, therefore I apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse.

I'm thinking about getting a Ti Frame, more specifically the Litespeed T1 SL and looking to use that as the coffee shop bike and maybe do a few uphill TT's, but nothing more serious than that. I've owned and ridden high end carbon bikes such as Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP's, SWorks Tarmac, etc but there something about Ti that really piques my interest.

So the question is, for anyone who has ridden a Ti bike, is it worth it? Will it be comparable to, let's say, the 2016 SWorks Tarmac in terms of ride quality, light weight, stiffness, etc? If Ti is worth it, then my goal would be to hold onto the Ti frame indefinitely and just upgrade components over the years. Thoughts?
    If you want a Ti bike, then by all means get one.

My thought on "lifetime" bikes: I want all my bikes to last forever. That doesn't necessarily mean I want to ride the same bike forever though

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Honestly, My Paramount and Custom Reynolds 753 bike are more forever bike to me than any of the Ti bike I have owned. Not to say a good Ti frame can't be a forever bike, but no more so than anything else because it is Ti IMO.

You want a forever bike, get a CAAD 3, and no I am not kidding. It would probably be more of a forever bike than most quite possibly...

Get the Ti bike cause you want it and can afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Got my Seven Axiom Race going on 6+ years ago. Still puts a smile on my face to this day. No urge to buy another bike at all, and hopefully it will last at least another decade minimum. 18lbs as pictured ready to ride, light enough that it don't matter much.

https://imgur.com/a/cL4H1

Any bike can be a very-long-term bike. Question is what pushes your buttons and what do you want-combined with where can you find it. Can't be custom in getting you what you want, provided you know what you want.

If what you're after and pushes your personal buttons is weight and stiffness...well each and every year every single Bike Label is hawking ads about their frames that are 10% lighter and 30% stiffer. If what gets you excited is that, you'll always be wanting a new bike every year
    Last edited by Marc; 11-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.

A wheelist
    I would like your opinion on Ti frames.............I'm thinking about getting a Ti Frame............something about Ti that really piques my interest. So the question is, for anyone who has ridden a Ti bike, is it worth it? Will it be comparable to, let's say, the 2016 SWorks Tarmac in terms of ride quality, light weight, stiffness, etc?...............Thoughts?
    My most recent MTB frame (a Seven Sola, 15 yrs ago) and my most recent road frame (a Kish, 4 years ago) are both Ti. I could have bought any frame material on the planet but I chose Ti. Actually, with both the MTB frame and the road frame, I was coming from carbon frames (a Kestrel and an Argon18 respectively) and I wanted something new and I wanted to get out of the "shape and color of the month" rat race. So now I have two bikes with plain ol' titanium grey and mostly black parts and I couldn't be happier. They look SO purposeful to me in all their hi-tech plainness.

If I had to replace them, I would order the same things again. They're perfect and IMO they can't be improved on.

I just don't care if something else might be lighter, stiffer, faster or look better to the coffee-shop crowd. Those are races that you can never win.

When I see the average $1000-$2000 Specatrekondale they just leave me cold. When I see someone on a custom Ti frame I know I'm looking at someone who is very passionate about cycling - much like I look at someone with a custom guitar.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 11-03-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Got my Seven Axiom Race going on 6+ years ago. Still puts a smile on my face to this day. No urge to buy another bike at all, and hopefully it will last at least another decade minimum. 18lbs as pictured ready to ride, light enough that it don't matter much.

https://imgur.com/a/cL4H1

Any bike can be a very-long-term bike. Question is what pushes your buttons and what do you want-combined with where can you find it. Can't be custom in getting you what you want, provided you know what you want.

If what you're after and pushes your personal buttons is weight and stiffness...well each and every year every single Bike Label is hawking ads about their frames that are 10% lighter and 30% stiffer. If what gets you excited is that, you'll always be wanting a new bike every year
    that's a freaking nice looking bike. Honestly I'd take a bike like that over any highend cookie cutter anyday

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Hey Everyone,

the world of subjectivity and ever changing plastic cookie cutter bikes, even if they're so called highend, you can rest assured that your Sworks and TCRs of today will be a "who care" 5,6 years from now. Think about the highend carbon fiber bikes made just 5 years ago in 2010, do you still desire any of them? Hell, I've forgotten all of their names already. Listen, nobody will be looking to buy your 2010 carbon bikes unless it's onsale for dirt cheap. That's because the people looking to buy carbon bikes are always looking for the latest feature. They don't care about any timeless quality it may have, and indeed most carbon bikes have no timeless quality in them. In the future, when they start making bikes with graphene, you know your carbon fiber bikes will quickly become the new aluminum right?

Ti, on the other hand, is always a timeless material, the material hasn't changed in decades. There is something about cold metal that invokes the souls of men that plastic just doesn't. Maybe we men equate plastic with something cheap and fake, like Hollywood. But if you get a ti bike, put a good paint job on it, people will still look at it with curiosity 10, 20 years from now.

And I can't speak for all ti bikes, but my Serotta Ottrott rides softer and nicer than any highend carbon bikes out there. But ti bikes are usually meant to be roubaix and endurance bikes. Highend carbon are more meant to be stiff race crafts. They ride differently.

Another material you should consider is stainless steel. Stainless steel seems to be the latest rage in getting back to metal bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    But if you get a ti bike, put a good paint job on it, people will still look at it with curiosity 10, 20 years from now.
    Wondering why you are still riding it, but you will know why. ;)

I totally confess to liking bikes, plastic and mostly steel. I have one plastic bike left after this years revamp/flush. And having advertised a 7 year old Carbon bike for a while that MSRP on the Frameset was $7k when new... I can agree that one will want your 5+ year old plastic bike. Even if it is a HMX Scott Addict LTD apparently. Which a 61CM bike is under 15 lbs. And I advertised it well below what BicycleBlueBook values it at. Like my mint bike for poor condition price. Not one inquiry...

I did sell my mint 2006 Roubaix this year for $800.00. So not no one, especially in the cheaper end maybe.
    Last edited by robt57; 11-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    When I see someone on a custom Ti frame I know I'm looking at someone who is very passionate about cycling - much like I look at someone with a custom guitar.
    These guy might make you a Ti Telecaster Mike. ;)

metaal, steel, metal, stalen, body, guitars, custom, steelcaster,metalcaster, D&C, belgium, telesteel, telecaster, gibson, firebird

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Everyone,

So the question is, for anyone who has ridden a Ti bike, is it worth it?
    Absolutely. My Litespeed titanium frame looks better after 18 years than my last pained frame did in half that time.

Will it be comparable to, let's say, the 2016 SWorks Tarmac in terms of ride quality, light weight, stiffness, etc?
    It'll be fine. You can also add couplers to round tubes so you can travel with it as checked luggage without an over-size fee.

Fecal indicator
    my Serotta-made Ti Schwinn Paramount is a nice ride.

it's unique and I get shitloads of compliments on it.

no thoughts of replacing it with some Taiwanese carbon clone-mobile.

Big is relative
    I rode a Litespeed (Lynskey) for 6 years and just never enjoyed it. I have a few forever bikes, a Merckx MX Leader which is overbuilt lugged steel that is 17 years old. A US Team steel GT that is fillet brazed and is 22 years old. A steel Team Shaklee GT that is 19 years old. All of these are daily riders and show no signs of falling apart any time soon. If I was going to get a Ti bike, I'd get a Moots or Firefly.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Merckx MX Leader which is overbuilt lugged steel
    Bridge truss! ;)

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    These guy might make you a Ti Telecaster Mike. ;)
    Oh cool !! If I ever bought another guitar it would be a Tele shape.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Ti is a wonderful material for a frame.

If this is truly a "forever" bike, I'd suggest buying a custom geometry frame built exactly to your body requirements. Look at builders like Moots, Kelly Bedford Customs, Seven and Firefly.

Personally, I'd skip the stock Litespeed frame. You can do better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Oh cool !! If I ever bought another guitar it would be a Tele shape.

If I didn't build my own wheels I'd have offered to make you a body for a build by now. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Ti is a wonderful material for a frame.

If this is truly a "forever" bike, I'd suggest buying a custom geometry frame built exactly to your body requirements.

To me it is the custom that makes for the [hopefully] forever, not the Ti. The TI is just the media. no?

Here are 3 of my forever customs. Steel.

Steel for me, because I believe the cost to make Ti tubes overcome the materials short comings with cold working etc. is not needed for steels today or yesterday. If I am saying that correctly...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ti as a "forever" bike?-nano_40tcs-m35.jpg   Ti as a "forever" bike?-rma-pdx-road-da-black-tapesm.jpg   Ti as a "forever" bike?-s_foco-eno-med-fr.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    To me it is the custom that makes for the [hopefully] forever, not the Ti. The TI is just the media. no?
    The OP is interested in Ti, therefore I decided to follow the theme.

FWIW, Ti will not rust. It will outlive the owner.

I have no dog in the hunt as far as frame material. I previously owned a tremendous 1999 Litespeed Ti bike, and I presently own two custom bikes made of carbon, and TT S3 steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    The OP is interested in Ti, therefore I decided to follow the theme.
    I guess my way of saying I'd rather have custom steel than peg Ti. ;) But Custom Ti of course... ;) Again, as I originally said, if you can afford it and want it...

But let me ask this among Ti fans participating. Powder coated Ti, or definitely Nude?
    And obviously to the OP, is it the Nude Ti, or at least that aspect spinning your wheels toward Ti?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ti will last you a lifetime and then some as long as there is no damage to the frame. Ti doesn't rust, it doesn't even fatigue for that matter like other materials. Ti is quite possibly the most comfortable material too, but it is also lively. You will feel the pavement, but in a very comfortable way if that makes sense. A Ti frame will not be as stiff or light as many carbon frames, but will typically be lighter than steel and it doesn't have to painted or chrome plated. Aluminum frames seem to have come a long way and have some of the same qualities as Ti, but the ride imo will still be more harsh than Ti and over time, aluminum will fatigue, depending on how much you ride.

I sold my Colnago Bititan back in the mid 90's after having children. I hated to, but I didn't want it to become a dust collector. I always knew I would regret it and now that I'm back into cycling, I really do. Ti frames imo may be the best combination of everything. Maybe not the best at any one thing in particular, but as a whole, a well made Ti frame is a pleasure to ride.

Road Warrior
    Hey Everyone,

Yes !!!! Ti is for real !! It makes a light and comfortable ride, I love mine. Buy a frame from a reputable manufacturer, take care of it and you can reasonably expect to be riding this frame for your stated purpose a long, long time. If you are thrashing it every weekend to see if you can sustain 500W on the ole power meter for an hour or two, maybe not so long.. Carbon steel is also a great ride!! (And remember,, Friends do not let friends ride Plastic!!! ) My frame is brushed and I love the look. No maintenance and a scotch brite pad will make the frame look new in about 10 minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not sure what you mean but Coffee Shop Bike but Ti or anything that cost more than $400 wouldn't be 'worth it' to me just to get to a coffee shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Yes !!!! Ti is for real !! It makes a light and comfortable ride
    Light... My Steel Strong Custom with a 59 TT in 2000 was the same weight as all but the Vortex near my size for Litespeeds. So some prospective, and one of the reasons I did the custom steel and not another Litespeed at the time. The Vortex was among the yop end and most expensive, so one would hope it delivered it all. ;)

The folks I know near my size/weight that got actually 'lighter Ti' who got Merlin XLs, that all cracked sooner or later. Pick your poison, but on the merits. Weight is not really one of them when compared to the highest end steel frames when it comes down to it.

Now that materials road feel dynamic is something to behold though. As is carbon, no magic self contained there on the comfort front not found elsewhere...

But Ti itself does not make for 'comfort' my Blade is one stiff and less compliant mofo, TI or not.

Ti=Media, it is all about the design and build rest assured...

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have Ti bikes and they ride well, but I also have Steel and Carbon and even Alumin(i)um bikes and they ride just as well, meaning I can't tell a difference that 5 psi of tire pressure wouldn't account for. I do think Ti is great for longevity. I have corroded through steel and Alumin(i)um frames and I have broken carbon frames, and had carbon frames become more flexible after many thousands of miles. Ti could also break of course, especially at the welds, so choosing a quality frame maker is a good idea (nope, not suggesting one because I'm not stirring the hornet nest). I use a significant amount of stainless and Ti hardware for longevity, and I wouldn't mind adding a Reynolds 953 frame as my next build, although that means getting murdered in my sleep by the wife. One of the cautions with Ti is that stuff tends to creak, so maintenance is important. Personally I also have had trouble with corrosion of Alumin(i)um parts directly in contact with Ti, my alien sweat tends to think the part is an anode and attacks it pretty aggressively. For example, I've had to put electrical tape under my FDs on my Ti frames or else the corrosion builds up under the clamp (where you can't rinse) which eventually "pops" the clamp.

Forever is a long time. Standards tend to change over time, if you look back 20 years bikes had 1 inch forks. There is nothing wrong with 1 inch forks and head tubes, but good luck getting a quality replacement easily. The rear spacing will likely change, as may bottom bracket standards. Would you be ok riding non-compact geometry today? I would be, but a lot of other people would not due to standover height. If handlebars change, the headtube heights will likely change. My point is an older frame is specifically made for older components, and updating the components may not be so seamless.
    Last edited by DrSmile; 11-04-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Matnlely Dregaend
    Ti=Media, it is all about the design and build rest assured...
    You did say it twice, so I feel obliged to correct it... it's a medium.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast