RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Time bikes: '06 edge racer or and '07 edge vx?

Hi,
    These two small bikes are on sale at my LBS and both felt really nice. I am a woman, 5'8" and 135lbs, looking to ride 3-6 hours at a time sometimes, and other times just go on a fast group ride.
    Any advice on choosing?

I also demo's an Orbea Diva, size 53 and it fit perfectly, although it felt a bit sluggish when accelerating.
    thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    They are nearly the same, although there a few minor changes that make me like the 07 better. I owned an 06 for a year really liked it. I'm riding a VXR now and wouldn't have a problem going back to an Edge... whatever you like for color and budget is the really difference. They are very comfortable bikes for just about any ride. I ride in northern New England and the roads will test any frame and these are wonderful rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Time makes very nice bicycles. When you rode the two bikes could you tell any difference, better or worse? My brother's wife has a VXRS in size small and really likes it alot. I happen to also have a VXRS in Large, it's a fantastic frame. If the price and color are right for you, go for it. Try and fanagle the best possible wheelset if they'll let you swap from another bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I couldn't really feel any difference, as the stems, handlebars and seat were too big/high...but it still felt great. They are also the same price and I will have to swap everything but the frame. Thinking about putting some Rol's d'huez wheels on.
    One is black and one is red...it may come down to that - I have to go back and measure, because although they were both small, the red (edge racer '06) seemed smaller, more to my size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    oh, btw...it's not a vxrs, it's an '07 edge vx - not sure the difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    i have 2007 Edge First since Dec 2006, no complaints after ~12-13,000km. The 2006 and 2007 Time Edge geometry is the same. i would favour 2007 if the price suits. i have a size Small, 54cm top tube. I am a male, height 173-174cm (~5 feet 8 and 1/2 inches). if 73 degree STA fits you then it's a "buy", IMO. Very smooth comfortable ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Hi, either you or your bike shop might have the models mixed up. The "Edge Racer" was new for '07 and the VX Edge was renamed the Edge First for '07. For '07 the line up started with the Edge First as the entry level model (which is still better than many so-called high end frames), Edge Racer was the next step up with the stiff + seat stays and Fluid Ride Fork, then next came the Edge Translink with integrated seat post, then VXR carbon bottom bracket, and VXRS with overall stiffer carbon fiber.

I ride an '07 Edge Racer and got to say it rides very nice. By the way, if you're comparing two completely different bikes from different manufacturer's I imagine you could tell a difference in test rides, but for two similar Time bikes I would find it really hard to believe you could tell much of a difference unless you rode them for hundreds of miles. I've put about 600 miles on mine and am just starting to really get a feel for the bike as far as testing it's limits in climbing and handling, and appreciation for the road feel. I'm a die hard "steel is real" fan and actually didn't like the ride for the first few hundred miles and seriously considered selling my frame, but the more miles I put on the more nuances I pick up that really makes this a stellar frame. It doesn't ride as harsh and stiff as some "racing" frames (Scott Addict, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Pinarello F4:13) so it gives a false impression that it may not be as fast -- sprinting and climbing. It's actually pretty smooth, not as much as a nice steel frame, but still impressive. The frame will flex slightly in the main triangle, which was a little weird and probably what gives it such a nice ride, but the rear triangle is as solid as anything out there. I'm impressed every time I stand and stomp on the pedals as how the bike just goes with much less effort than I think it should take. Time has really done a great job of tuning the bike for a comfortable riding frame, that can really take some mashing on the gears if it needs to.

In regards to the frames you're looking at, even with the mix up in models they probably will both be great riding frames. I don't know if it really helps all that much though see if either of them have the Stiff + stays, maybe that is why my frame seems to climb like crazy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Mandasol, that helps tremendously, as I was getting more and more confused. The bike shop must have the dates wrong, and that makes more sense....
    it is probably an '06 VX edge and an '07 edge racer - those are the names on the bike.
    They both do feel the same, and are the same price, so I will probably go with the edge racer if it's a little higher end than the vx edge.

So, wheels - I was thinking Rol d'huez....any comments?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    no handlebars: Your last post leads me to believe that you are comparing exactly the same model frame. They changed the name and color scheme for 2007. That is it.

I ride a 2006 Time Edge Translink. I love it dearly. Times get my heartiest recommendation.

My wife, BTW, test rode an Orbea Diva. She loved everything about it but the ride quality and the noise the monocoque framed transmitted. She especially liked how the rear wheel felt perfectly placed beneath her. She also rode a Look 585 elle, which she loved even more than the Orbea.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    He, he....no wonder they felt the same.....although someone above thinks that the VX edge became the First, not the Racer.....in any case, it will probably come down to color, since they are so similar.
    Maybe I should demo the look elle!
    Any feelings about the Wilier Izouard?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by no handlebars
    He, he....no wonder they felt the same.....although someone above thinks that the VX edge became the First, not the Racer.....in any case, it will probably come down to color, since they are so similar.
    Maybe I should demo the look elle!
    Any feelings about the Wilier Izouard?
    Bike: Time Edge Racer-Chorus Carbon

The Edge Racer is a new model for TIME for 2007. TIME has desinged this module for passionate, competitive cyclists and racers. Like other Pro Tour Team-proven TIME framesets, the Egde Racer boasts all of the multi-terrain riding characteristics TIME is globally renowned for. 100% Made in France, the Edge Racer is as much of a thoroughbred as a compliment-worthy "New Kid on the Block."

Frame:High modulus carbon featuring Time's Carbon Matrix Technology. Includes Quickset headset, Monolink carbon stem and Time's Spirit seatpost, 27.2mm dia. x 300mm
    Frame Weight: 1080grams (Medium).
    Features: Sloping top tube geometry, internal reinforced carbon tubes, carbon and titanium hardware.
    Fork: Full carbon fork with + Fluide Ride Technology .
    Sizes: XXS, XS, SM, MD, LG, XL.
    Warranty: Lifetime.

Time VX Edge Carbon Frame
    Size:: 50cm51cm53cm55cm57cm59cm

Fantastic stifness to weight ratio - this frame has tremendous acceleration and road feel - Shaped carbon tubes make it more than just another carbon road frame.

Custon shaped carbon tubeset joined with Carbon lugs
    EDGE HR carbon tubes with Vibraser
    EDGE carbon wishbone
    EDGE chainstays
    AVANT SAFE+ multi-diameter fork
    QUICKSET headset
    SPIRIT carbon seatpost 29.2mm x 300mm
    MONOLINK HR carbon stem
    Stainless steel bolts
    Weight of EDGE frame: 1080 gr.
    EDGE module weight: 1860 gr.
    Satin finish
    Optional TIME carbon crankset
    Warranty: Life Time

The Edge Racer was totally new for 2007, it is not a rebadge. The differences include the Safe Plus with Fluid Ride fork (the forks have Fluid Ride written in big letters on the inside fork legs) and Stiff Plus stays. Also the entry level Time frames pre-2007 came with 29.2 mm seatposts which can be a pain in the arse to find unless it came with one and then you're pretty much stuck with it. The VX Edge is closer to the Edge First, though I believe the Edge First was redesigned to accept the common 27.2 seat posts as well so it is really not exactly the same as the VX Edge either. Also, as I mentioned before, even with the differences it would take much more than a single test ride to recognise as both frames are new to you and have the same basic frame design/geometry.

Answering your other question, fit comes first. If another frame fits better, you'd be better off with the better fit. The sluggishness of the Orbea could also be related to the wheelset, a lighter wheelset is going to 'feel' quicker during acceleration and climbing. The Rols seem like really nice wheelsets, I considered them myself. If I were going to mail order my wheels I'd probably go with them, but I like to have my local bike shop build up my wheels from spec. My wheels are Velocity Aerohead O.C. rims, White Industry H1 hubs, and Sapim CX-Ray spokes and even with 28 front/32 rear 3 cross lacing weigh 1470 grams exactly, not the +/- 5% that you read in fine print, and best yet my local bike shop can repair them if I goof them up. Also, I paid same as the what the Rol d'huez are going for. I had a pair of $1,000 DT Swiss Mon Charals (I liked them cause they come with regular DT spokes that any bike shop can repair) that claim to be 1450 grams but came out to be about 5% over at 1525 grams, so I sold them and kept my custom wheels.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I am confident that the Edge became the Racer, and that the First stayed "the First." I did some intense shopping before I bought the Edge Translink, and up until about six months ago I'd been keeping up with Time's line-up. My 2006 Time Catalog (which I still occasionally use for bedtime reading ) seems to indicate this, too, as in 2006 the Time Edge and the Time Edge First existed simultaneously in the company line-up.

As for the Wilier -- I've never seen one in the flesh, much less tried one. I've only seen them on TV, with Phil & Paul burbling away on the audio.

Good luck. Happy riding.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei
    I am confident that the Edge became the Racer, and that the First stayed "the First." I did some intense shopping before I bought the Edge Translink, and up until about six months ago I'd been keeping up with Time's line-up. My 2006 Time Catalog (which I still occasionally use for bedtime reading ) seems to indicate this, too, as in 2006 the Time Edge and the Time Edge First existed simultaneously in the company line-up.

As for the Wilier -- I've never seen one in the flesh, much less tried one. I've only seen them on TV, with Phil & Paul burbling away on the audio.

Good luck. Happy riding.
    You may be right that the Edge Racer replaced the VX Edge as the next frame up the ladder from the Edge First, but I assure you that the Edge Racer is not the same module as the VX Edge. Odd 29.2 mm seat post on the VX Edge, vs. the common 27.2 mm seat post on the Edge Racer. Also the Edge Racer has the slightly higher end Fluid Ride Fork (see the picture, in white lettering on the inside of the fork legs), and it has the upgraded Stiff + reay stays, all of which are not on the VX Edge. The Edge Racer and the Edge Translink both have the same fork and Stiff + Stays, but the translink of course has the integrated seat post.

Regardless, as I said before these bikes are basically the same weight, overall design, and geometry, so since the improvements are only incremental one would be hard pressed to tell a difference unless you are at the extremes of being really heavy or really strong. The OP is not really heavy so there probably wouldn't be much of a discernable difference. If nothing else I would go for the Edge Racer for the more common seat post size, as even Time recommends against using a seat post shim to fit a 27.2 mm post.

Regarding the other bikes, I test rode everything I could get my hands on including a Wilier and a Look. The Wilier Le Roi was nice, reminded me of the ride of a De Rosa Idol, it was stiff but not in a harsh way and felt really controlled while being fast, but the colors were just crazy I really couldn't get into the model that my lbs had. Out of all the bikes I tried to test ride I was really anticipating the Look the most (and the Cervelo Soloist Carbon). The Look 585 I rode has tremendously good response to pedaling effort, feels light and easily maneuverable, and may climb just a hair better than my Time, though it rode just a little hard for my tastes, which was surprising since it has relatively skinny tubes. Felt like I could really feel every single bump. Don't know, but the Elle may ride a little softer, which would really make for a great bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time bikes: '06 edge racer or and '07 edge vx?-vxedge.jpg   Time bikes: '06 edge racer or and '07 edge vx?-edge_racer.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    I can confirm that 2007 Edge First has a 27.2mm seatpost diameter. Personally, I am not a fan of integrated seatposts (i.e. translink) but that is just me. i think it is a case of a solution looking for a problem to solve. but i digressed, sorry. My personal bias is Time with a standard 27.2mm seatpost.

re others like Look, Willier, Orbea. Dont discount size/geometry factors.
    Time, IMO, has a more rider friendly geometry than most others today due to 0.5-1.0 degree slacker STA and 5mm shorter top tube (in similar sizes).

Look, Orbea, Willier all have steeper seat tube angles compared to Time which means your reach will be *longer*, meaning a comparatively shorter stem than you would fit on Time. Time in Small size (and medium too) has 73 degrees STA, Look has steep-ish 73.75 STA (or ~8-9mm longer reach) plus Look has 5mm longer top tube so 8+5=13mm, your stem needs to be at least 1 size shorter on Look than on Time. Or choose Look 585 Optimum/Elle with shorter T/T but same STA still. Most women tend to have longer legs and shorter upper bodies (compared to most men) so on Look 5x5 or Willier or Orbea you might end up with a short 80-90mm stem and on Time with more standard 100-110mm stem. I think Orbea and Willier are 73.5 STA in your size, so ~6mm more reach than Time but their top tubes might also be longer than Time so you must add that difference up. It's about the bike fit, first and foremost. Finally, if you stick to 27.2mm seatpost then you can buy seatposts with big setback, if you need to move back more. Or buy Thomson Elite straight or kinked posts with less setback. Choose posts such as FSA SL220 or FSA K-Force Carbon Lite which comes in 3 setbacks, allowing from zero to 32.35mm setback and two-bolt clamp design for precise angle of saddle tilt. Look has also 27.2mm post, I dont know about the others.

Disclaimer: this does not apply to 2008 Time Speeder. It has different geometry to the rest of Time range. They must have done it to save on production costs. If it fits you well, buy it, else it is just like 1000 other frames on the market today, built down to a price.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Mandasol, you are the master of Time frame arcana. I bow in your general direction.

no handlebars, Solomon has spoken....though I do personally like the looks of the old Edge a little better. The black matte finish gives it a cool, retro sheen. You almost want to have a tubular tire slung over your shoulder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    You guys rock!
    Those two pix are the two that I tried. I too like the look of the old carbon weave...but oh well.
    I will keep demo-ing, but if I do go for the time, I'll probably go for the standard seat tube Racer....
    thanks all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I have a 2006 time edge, the seat tube measures 54 c2 the very end of the seat tube, the actual top tube measures c2c 55cm
    What size is the frame ?
    Thx d

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    When you say actual top tube are you measuring by following the slope of the actual top tube? A better measurement would be virtual top tube. A medium should measure 56 while the small would be 54.5 measured as a virtual horizontal top tube.