Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I am at #205. I am maxing at 1075. The pmax is around 800. I have a FTP of perhaps 280, which I question. Those racing produce that power and are often considerably lower. Aero doesn't matter? Ha. They can see me over the pack while I sit in the rear.

I don't generate huge power. These boohah aero guys make me laugh. I need a bike that is going to have a stem straight out and I don't have loads of spacers. Aero does matter.

As for those that say to flip the stem. Flipping down the stem.. Haha. I want to buy a new bike. The top tube needs to be shorter. The stem can't just simply be flipped down on a longer top tube. My flexibility actually decreased over the years. My pain tolerance decreased.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the_doctor View Post
    I am at #205. I am maxing at 1075. The pmax is around 800. I have a FTP of perhaps 280, which I question. Those racing produce that power and are often considerably lower. Aero doesn't matter? Ha. They can see me over the pack while I sit in the rear.

I don't generate huge power. These boohah aero guys make me laugh. I need a bike that is going to have a stem straight out and I don't have loads of spacers. Aero does matter.

As for those that say to flip the stem. Flipping down the stem.. Haha. I want to buy a new bike. The top tube needs to be shorter. The stem can't just simply be flipped down on a longer top tube. My flexibility actually decreased over the years. My pain tolerance decreased.
    I'm having a little trouble parsing your reply, so sorry if i get bits wrong.

FTP of 280 could be high or it could be low. It's quite a lot of power, but you're a normal person with more size, so it's pretty reasonable and wouldn't stick out when you ride with a group. If your power meter says 280, 280 it is.

It sounds like you're concerned about the inclination of the stem affecting aero. It totally doesn't matter how you get your bars in the 'right' position. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole bar/stem combo lived in the positive pressure zone your torso was generating and it made a sub-fractional difference.

For me, i set my bikes up for handling first, and then try to consider aero. MTB'er. You seem to have a very upright pedaling position for someone our height, so i'd want longer chainstays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12