RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005

Time VX Edge vs Felt FCx Bikes

Hello,

I am in the process of replacing my old custom steel bike and have narrowed it down to several carbon fiber bikes. I had a chance to test ride a Felt F1C and really liked how it rode, not too dead but fairly supple (at least to me). I am having problems getting one in my size but I have located a frame in my size called the Felt F2C Team with upgraded parts, wheels, etc. I am aware that the frames of the Felts are different and most likely ride differently.

So... my question is, has anyone tried either of the Felts and the Time VX Edge? I know this is a "budget" offering from Time but was curious how it rode. I don't know why, but I am intrigued by these frames and from what people have said about them. Unfortunately there is no dealer near me and I can't test ride.

Any thoughts or advice?

thank,
    ohc

Cycling
    I hear the f2 frame is shitty. (in the sense that its not a high modules carbon fibre)
    Yes........thats me in the pic!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling
    I hear the f2 frame is shitty. (in the sense that its not a high modules carbon fibre)
    being new to CF and CF bikes, what is "high modules" carbon fibre? can you elaborate a little?

Cycling
    In a " newbie to carbon term" ill put it this way. High modules CF= good carbon. Pretty easy huh?

Well here in the lower end Carbon Fiber section of cycles, we are not as stiff and not as light. And may break easily.

Fo instance...................at work today, we were putting together a KUOTA caliber(TRI bike), if u were to wrap your hand around the frame and squeeze lightly, the frame itself would bend. Theres a CF thats low modules. And the bike is really not that safe at all. Put a TDF cyclist on it, and i guarentee the bike will snap in 100 pieces by the time he reaches mile 5.Put a lightweight rider like me who when going up hills puts some nice wattage out, itll break very eaisly.

Have you looked into like say, ummmmm, orbea. The orca mabye? Or the ALU/CF mix lobular?
    Yes........thats me in the pic!!!

banned
    I would ignore everything you just read re: high modulus CF vs. other stuff. Bollocks. all of it.....the comments anyway. There have been tons of CF frames....and quality frames, at that....made of non "high modulus" CF. It's the design and construction that count. The crap that was just spewed by the other person is just as dumb as someone saying, "Anything made of 3/2.5 Ti is crap. Any Ti frame not made of 6/4 Ti will likely crumble when you breathe in it's direction." Iffin' I were you, I'd try to get a test ride on the bikes you're interested in. That'll tell you more than some partially re-warmed marketing spray regurgitated by some sales rep's favorite LBS employee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't get the search function to work for me right now but someone posted a pretty detailed report of building up and riding an VX Edge a while bike. Looks like a pretty nice bike for the $$$. I'd take it over the Felt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I know 1 guy who has been on the Edge for 6 months-he is about 175lbs and 6 foot 2. He says it is stiff while still seeming to float over the bumps (almost feels like he has a flat tire, he said). He is pretty stoked on the ride.

3 other guys I ride with are on the F2C, and they seem happy too. The price was right when they purchased them through the team. Construction-wise, the Edge looks nicer, while the F2C looks like a run-of-the-mill carbon frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys...

I think I have narrowed it down to one of the Time frames... but now it is between the VX Edge or VXS. Any thoughts on either of those frames?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd PM this Amontillado guy or search through all his posts.

Tell me about Time VX Elite or Special Pro..