The Bike Genie

TIME VXRS Ulteam - Does it have a weight limit?

Been riding this bike for a couple weeks but have talked to a few people who have said the VXRS is a tad more fragile than other times and anyone over 200 shouldn't ride it... Any opinions? I'm 6'4" and 230lbs and think the ride is terrific but don't want to snap the $4,000 frame on a long descent...

See the link in my signature for the build...
    Last edited by DanTourino; 02-10-2010 at 01:53 PM.

banned
    Aug 2009
    Ironic that the someone who is 6'4", 230 is a posts his bikes on weightweenies.

The Bike Genie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho's Balls
    Thanks for.... nothing. That site seems to have a lot more knowledge of the expensive frames, thus i post there often.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I do recall a person I see in group rides cracking the seat mast on one of those(he was about 250 ish I believe). He did have the mast very long so perhaps that contributed to the issue.I do also think there was a thread on the boards a while back but I couldn't find it right off the bat...Anyway, there was a rider I think that complain about the same issue as above but was much smaller.
    With all that said, I looked around for a little while and did not see any weight limits for your frame....I don't think that frame is ungodly light( to where durability long term is an issue) so imo,you should be ok....I would say though,if it's on your mind you really should seek out some sort of conformation on this.

Curtis

The Bike Genie
    Quote Originally Posted by curty42082
    I do recall a person I see in group rides cracking the seat mast on one of those(he was about 250 ish I believe). He did have the mast very long so perhaps that contributed to the issue.I do also think there was a thread on the boards a while back but I couldn't find it right off the bat...Anyway, there was a rider I think that complain about the same issue as above but was much smaller.
    With all that said, I looked around for a little while and did not see any weight limits for your frame....I don't think that frame is ungodly light( to where durability long term is an issue) so imo,you should be ok....I would say though,if it's on your mind you really should seek out some sort of conformation on this.

Curtis
    Thanks Curtis, good info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    TIME offered two different inner seatposts for their translink bikes. They made a longer post with a thicker wall diameter and it had a re-inforcing cross section. If you dont have it you should, at your weight.

There was a clown who posted awhile back about how weak the translink was and how his cracked, well he did not follow instructions and he cut the inner seat post short. Because of that the external translink was not supported as designed and there was a catastrophic failure.

He actually ruined 2 Time bikes due to his incompetence.

The inner post is not to be cut and is designed to run the full length of the outer post and down into/below the seat lug.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...team+worldstar

The Bike Genie
    Never read Time's response! Wow, I'm so glad you pointed that out because i had a friend tell me to trim the seatpost !

Funny how that little material can be the difference between catastrophic failure and one of the most solid bikes on the market! Thanks Flakey!

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTourino
    Never read Time's response! Wow, I'm so glad you pointed that out because i had a friend tell me to trim the seatpost !

Funny how that little material can be the difference between catastrophic failure and one of the most solid bikes on the market! Thanks Flakey!
    The world is never at a shortage of people whose confidence is much less than actual knowledge.

This reminds me of posts from people who were told by their "mechanic friends" that the Campag Ultra-Torque crankset can do away without the retaining clip. Or that an 11-sp chain can be finished without the last step that requires the expensive new 11-sp chain tool.

dog is my co-pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho's Balls
    What if he's all muscle?

Some heavy guys do have low bodyfat even still. In those cases, being a weight weenie wouldn't be a contradiction.

The funny of course is when guys who could stand to 'lose a bike's worth' of belly fat (i.e. 15-20 lbs or more) are obsessed with gram-shaving.

It's like dude, first things first.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day,it blew my teenage mind