Thread: Tipo Corsa

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017

Question Tipo Corsa

I am new here so apologies if this topic is old news. I am building up a Tipo Corsa frame and noticed that there is very little, if any, clearance between the large chain ring (52) and the drive side chainstay. I am installing a Campy Centaur crank 52-39 and using the old style tapered BB intended for triples. Would a newer setup work better? I am thinking Ultegra 6800 series with BSC threaded BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by whetherman09 View Post
    I am new here so apologies if this topic is old news. I am building up a Tipo Corsa frame and noticed that there is very little, if any, clearance between the large chain ring (52) and the drive side chainstay. I am installing a Campy Centaur crank 52-39 and using the old style tapered BB intended for triples. Would a newer setup work better? I am thinking Ultegra 6800 series with BSC threaded BB.
    You're using a triple length BB axle and the big ring barely clears the chain stay? Something is wrong or you have not explained your situation properly.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    You're using a triple length BB axle and the big ring barely clears the chain stay? Something is wrong or you have not explained your situation properly.
    Or, maybe you've installed the BB shaft backwards....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    No, it was installed correctly and torqued to Campy specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    If you examine the frame, specifically the drive side chain stay, you will see that the tubing is completely round. I compared the tipo corsa frame with another steel frame and noted that the chain stay on the latter was crimped near where it was brazed onto the bottom bracket, allowing for chain ring clearance. I posted this query to see if others have experienced this issue and how the problem was solved.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    More info on the B.B. would be helpful. What model is it and what is the spindle length? I would try the correct B.B. Centaur double requires a 111 mm spindle. Another possibility is the tapers on the current B.B. (or the crank for that matter) are worn or incorrect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    More info on the B.B. would be helpful. What model is it and what is the spindle length? I would try the correct B.B. Centaur double requires a 111 mm spindle. Another possibility is the tapers on the current B.B. (or the crank for that matter) are worn or incorrect.
    Initially, I installed a Campy Centaur 68X111mm, which provided NO clearance. Subsequently, I installed the Campy Centaur 68X115.5mm, which is the current installation. Crank and both BB's were new out of the box and never installed previously.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may have to really play with the BB Spindle length on this one. It can be difficult to say the least. One thing I’ve done while cobbling together misc frames and cranks is use a spindle of whatever length and install it on the drive side of your crank. Then insert it in the BB shell of your bike (you may need to remove the BB cups for this and just have an open shell) then while holding the spindle against the bottom of the shell, slide it right or left to determine what distance sticking out gives you adequate clearance. Mark the spindle with a sharpie right at the edge of the BB shell on the drive side.
    Now when you take the crank off the spindle measure the length that “stuck out”, multiply that by two to account for the “stick out” on the other end then add 68mm (or whatever the width of your BB shell is) and that may give you a good idea of a general BB spindle length that will allow that particular crank to clear your frame.
    I’m sure there is a better way and someone may have some real in-depth knowledge of this particular frame. But barring that it may be worth a shot to see if you come up with a BB spindle length that is reasonable and able to get your crank in a good spot on the frame.