RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Tire blown on new bike

I just purchased a new Trek Madone 5.2. I had read a lot about how the breaks are very stiff and take some time to get used to. On my ride my tire blew up on me. I haven't even put 200 miles on the bike yet. I'm going to take it back to the shop and see if they can hook me up with a free/cheap tire. I've never had a tire blow up on me before. Any advise on how to prevent this in the future would be greatly appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Were the brake pads rubbing the sidewall of the tire?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    as far as I can tell they weren't. I didn't feel a difference in the ride, but with being a new bike there's a possibility. That was my first thought too. The brakes are built into the frame itself on the bottom of the frame. It's a weird set up, but it's supposed to be aero

RoadBikeReview Member
    It depends on how it "blew up".

If your brake pads were rubbing the sidewall there would be damage to the tire.

OTOH, maybe it was just a crap mounting job by the shop. I had this experience at Performance once. Had them overhaul a really old bike. Couple days worth of riding and the tire blew clean off the rim. Turns out they don't know how to mount a tire/tube and the tube was pinched between the tire and rim. It eventually bulged out and blew..about 50 yards from my car.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Clincher or tubeless? Web site says "tubeless ready." If it's a clincher, check the rim tape/rim strip - your tube could be bulging into a spoke hole and blowing out that way, too...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    you really don't give any details in your post...no photos, no real information. did it blow off the rim? did you just get a puncture or a pinch flat? i have to say it's odd that you'd get 200mi on the bike before this happened, but you never know.
    where did you read that the BRAKES were 'stiff'? and again...why is this post about a TIRE problem not in the 'wheels & tires' section?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahCyclist View Post
    On my ride my tire blew up on me.
    I'm going to take it back to the shop and see if they can hook me up with a free/cheap tire.
    First you need to tell us what "blew up" means. Was it the tire or tube? Top, bottom, side? Pinch flat or puncture?

If you rode over a piece of glass, why would you want a free tire from the shop?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    OTOH, maybe it was just a crap mounting job by the shop. I had this experience at Performance once. Had them overhaul a really old bike. Couple days worth of riding and the tire blew clean off the rim. Turns out they don't know how to mount a tire/tube and the tube was pinched between the tire and rim. It eventually bulged out and blew..about 50 yards from my car.
    Oddly enough, I was shopping at a Performance once and heard what sounded like a gunshot out in the parking lot. Turned out that a customer was test riding a bike when the tire blew. Same deal...it was poorly mounted, the tube was bulging from beneath the wire bead and it went. I don't trust the guys at Performance to do any work on my bike, that's for sure.

Matnlely Dregaend
    A tube failing within a couple of hundred miles is almost always a pinch flat from improper tire mounting. The truth is that we've all done it... mount a new tube, check it isn't pinched between the rim and the tire, and try again!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

RoadBikeReview Member
    This happened to me on a new BD bike but Mike came to the rescue.

link: another mercier owner