RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

tom kellogg's 30th anniversary frames

anyone seen/ordered one?
    this spring i will be selling most of my bikes--which got me to thinking--maybe consolidate to a hill bike, a rain bike, and a custom sunny weekend steel bike. (okay maybe one uber CF bike like the VXRS too--just because sometime in the 1600's my ancestors left France).
    I have a tom kellogg "designed" merlin, which i ride in the wayyyyy too grey, wet winter here in the PNW. I was curious what others know/have seen about his custom steel?
    I ask because i have never seen a vanilla or a sachs in person.

I had a waterford 1200, which was nice, but honestly felt the attention to details and alignment was better on my moser tk1 (not a perfect comparision as it was fillet brazed not lugged).

anyway just curious on the thoughts of those who know the work?
    thanks
    jim

Cross Bike Collector.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcav
    anyone seen/ordered one?
    this spring i will be selling most of my bikes--which got me to thinking--maybe consolidate to a hill bike, a rain bike, and a custom sunny weekend steel bike. (okay maybe one uber CF bike like the VXRS too--just because sometime in the 1600's my ancestors left France).
    I have a tom kellogg "designed" merlin, which i ride in the wayyyyy too grey, wet winter here in the PNW. I was curious what others know/have seen about his custom steel?
    I ask because i have never seen a vanilla or a sachs in person.

I had a waterford 1200, which was nice, but honestly felt the attention to details and alignment was better on my moser tk1 (not a perfect comparision as it was fillet brazed not lugged).

anyway just curious on the thoughts of those who know the work?
    thanks
    jim
    "which i ride in the wayyyyy too grey, wet winter here in the PNW."
    Oh yea, feel your pain pal. Hate it, been trying to relocate to Bend for several years
    "i have never seen a vanilla or a sachs in person"
    My friend, you live in PDX and you've never seen a Vanilla? Let me help you out pal.
    For about 8 weeks in the fall we Portlanders are treated to the spectacle that is the good ol' CrossCrusade, the proverbial cornucopia of all that is Bike Culture.
    Not only will you see about 30 Vanilla's, but you'll see Sachs, along with every other builder you can think of.....not to mention 7 or 8 of Portland's finest builders.
    Sacha, Ira Ryan, JoJo, Tony the Pear, Joe Ahearne, Tonic Fab, and a few other local builders too. Strawberry, Sweetpea, and more.
    You owe it to yourself, if you live in PDX, to go to a few of the CrossCrusade races. If for no other reason than to just check out all the hardware.
    http://www.crosscrusade.com/
    Buy the way, Tom Kellogg can build me a Ti Spectrum anytime.
    Have compassion for your fellow man

Windrider (Stubborn)
    The details of his 30th anniv. frames are in the attached link.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/11.htm#WantOne

Tom is a great guy and very approachable. If you have questions, just ask him direct. Look on his site for some pictures of his frames.

He is a great bike designer, has a great brazer and does some of the best paint you will ever see,

E-mail or call him.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Well Len,

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    The details of his 30th anniv. frames are in the attached link.

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/11.htm#WantOne

Tom is a great guy and very approachable. If you have questions, just ask him direct. Look on his site for some pictures of his frames.

He is a great bike designer, has a great brazer and does some of the best paint you will ever see,

E-mail or call him.

Len
    You know 5 bikes isn't really enough, there's seven days in the week. A Spectrum would look nice in that stable of yours.

Windrider (Stubborn)

I have my eye......

on this........

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/346.htm or this

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/267688236.html

if it's still available when I get my next excess cash. I've been looking for an S & S Bike. I'd prefer ti for travel, but the spectrum is da bomb.

Len

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

ahhh,

on this........

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/346.htm or this

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/267688236.html

if it's still available when I get my next excess cash. I've been looking for an S & S Bike. I'd prefer ti for travel, but the spectrum is da bomb.

Len
    go with the Spectrum Len, 3 Serotta's would be overkill, there's too many exquisite bikes out there to clog up your stable with one kind. I for example wouldn't have another Moots, just like you I've got 2 Moots to your 2 Serotta's. I'm thinking a Zank Lugged CX is what's missing for me. (along with several others) Go with the Spectrum S&S, then you'll only need one more...... Seven days in the week Len.

Windrider (Stubborn)

I am thinking.......

Quote Originally Posted by Phat&SlowVelo
    go with the Spectrum Len, 3 Serotta's would be overkill, there's too many exquisite bikes out there to clog up your stable with one kind. I for example wouldn't have another Moots, just like you I've got 2 Moots to your 2 Serotta's. I'm thinking a Zank Lugged CX is what's missing for me. (along with several others) Go with the Spectrum S&S, then you'll only need one more...... Seven days in the week Len.
    of waiting untilI have the money to go up to the barn and get him to build me a S & S Ti Spectrum.

Patience is tough.

Len

Patience is tough

of waiting untilI have the money to go up to the barn and get him to build me a S & S Ti Spectrum.

Patience is tough.

Len
    Boy, you ain't kiddding. I'm a want it now kinda guy.
    Ti S&S Spectrum would be an noble addition to that fine stable of yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

sorry, by PNW i meant kitsap county WA

also sometimes known as the wrong side of the puget sound.
    the only custom bikes i have seen at local rides are davidson and rodriguez

will look closely this year the the reach the beach, or STP if i am here for that.

thanks though, appreciate those links

jim