RoadBikeReview Member

Torelli Corsa Strada - Feedback from Owners Requested

Owners of the Torelli Corsa Strada, can you please supply me with feedback on this frame. How does it ride, pros/cons? At this price level would you recommend something else?

I'm looking to put together another "steel" bike. The Corsa Strada seems to be a good start in terms of price and quality but I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The Torelli Corsa Strada I had was built from Aelle tubing. Great beginner bike, rode it for 4 yrs. Liked it, the geometry worked for me. started me down a path of steel frames. no real issues. what is the one looking at built from?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Corsa Strada

Really nice bike. A little heavy compared to some of my friends' rides, though. It is the most solid and stable piece of machiney I have ever ridden. It tracks precisely, movement is natural and easily anticipated.
    If this sounds like a sales a pitch... that might be true. I rode this bike consistently last season. But I dont think it was the right size for me. I rode other bikes and saw how my posture could improve drastically. Maybe it was the way I built it up. not sure. But I am working on a smaller bike for next season. Staying with the Torelli / Mondonico line.
    Here's the pitch. I am selling a 56 cm Corsa Strada in great condition. It is dark metallic green from the mid nineties (prob '96). Aelle tubing, basically the same bike. I want to sell this bike by march or april. let me know if you are interested. I have a great ebay rating and I am totally legit. Pics, info, please ask. I would really enjoy sending this bike somewhere it is going to be cared for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

Good frame for the bucks

I have a 9yo Corsa Strada that i like alot. I have replaced it this year with a CF frame just because it is time to move on. The Torelli rides very well. It is incredibly smooth riding and handles very well. Not the most rigid of frames for sure, and it does have some flex around the headtube when sprinting/climbing. I was able to make up for some of that by throwing on a set of Ksyrium Elites. That added a bit more lateral and axial rigidity that was most notable on sprints, less so on climbs or fast cornering. Because it is a more compliant frame, it is really comfortable on centuries and longer rides. We also have a ton of chip-seal roads and county roads where I live, and it does pretty well on these .

Overall i think it is a great frame for most riding conditions (except racing, obviously) and is a steal for the price.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Post it in the classified section. along with well lit, well focused photos. camera phone won't do. and also place it on the Serotta message board. i've sold about 3 frames there. very little scammers. i would suggest you transfer parts. You'll lose few dollars that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Why the Serotta message board?
    It is in the classifieds, under frames.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    it's under classifieds, no subdivisions. no scammers either and it's free. Why? that board is receptive to old steel frames. nobody is going to freak out if they see an italian frame. i've sold 3 steel frames on that board without a problem. sold an eight yr old lemond, no problem. take 3 well lit/focussed photos and briefly list components or strip and part it out over a period of time. the RBR classieds and the Serotta message board is better than eBay.
    Last edited by cmg; 02-01-2008 at 05:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    forgot to mention....my Corsa Strada is the vanadium version. I think they have had multiple versions of it with different tube sets over the past number of years. Also, Mondonico makes these frame sets, as is the case with all Torelli's. The craftsmanship is outstanding on them. It really is a good, solid steel frameset.

off the back
    Mondonico does not make the Corsa Strada, and as far as I know, never did. He did build some of the higher end Torelli frames, the Countach until economic considerations forced Torelli to go to another builder and TIG welding to meet their price point. He was still building their Nitro Express until Torelli discontinued it. Now, he doesn't build anything, as he's retired.

As far as I know, Corsa Stradas were built by the brothers Taverna, and may still be. They were going to be licensed to build the new Mondonico frames, but as I understand it, they were having a few quality control issues, and Torelli went elsewhere. I guess they just didn't quite measure up to Mauro Mondonico's discriminating eye. If I heard the name correctly, I believe the new Mondonico frames are being built by Billato, very fine builders in their own right. Just not with pinned lugs anymore.

You might want to look into a new frame venture, Il Massimo, a joint partnership of Mauro Mondonico and Alex Stanek, owner of Smart Cycles of Norwalk, CT., although these frames will probably go for quite a bit more than the Corsa Strada. Mauro specs the frames and oversees quality control, and they don't seem to be too different from what Torelli and Mondonico were doing. The frames even use the tried and true Mondonico geometry. My only disappointment was that the frames seem to cost what Mondonicos do as well; I was hoping they might be priced a bit less, I would have jumped on one. Still might get one at some point, but have to save my pennies.

http://www.cicli-il-massimo.us/
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    i stand corrected (or i should say the LBS stands corrected). All i have been able to find out is what the LBS told me about the Mondonico/Torelli connect. Havent been able to locate any other info about it. Pretty good history lesson, Rufus. Where did you find all of that information? Am curious becuase i think Torelli provides one of the best values in cycling, though few really know about them and it is hard to get information on them, especially regarding the frame construction. Or maybe I am just an idiot and cant work my way aroudn the web, which is entirely possible.

off the back
    A lot of Torelli/Mondonico history at the Torelli website, www.torelli.com. There used to be alot more about different frame models, but since the demand for steel frames isn't what it used to be, Torelli has cut back on the different frames they offer. And since Mondonico has retired, the only Mondonico stll being built(under license) is the Futura Leggaro.

Other stuff I've got from reviews of their frames in magazines; I've still got all my old Bicycle Guide, Bicycling magazines. Taverna I learned of through an old review of a Super Strada, a model Torelli offered for a while that was a step above the Corsa, and have just picked up little bits of more info of them through the years, especially since my own interest in Torelli/Mondonico was rekindled about six years ago.

They're a small Italian contract builder for other bike companies, I believe run by a couple of brothers, I think five or six people in the whole company.

Mondonico stopped building the Countach somewhere around the late-nineties/early 2000's, when, to keep the price of the frame lower, Torelli switched to TIG-welding the frames like they were doing with the Corsa Strada.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jt20
    Really nice bike. A little heavy compared to some of my friends' rides, though. It is the most solid and stable piece of machiney I have ever ridden. It tracks precisely, movement is natural and easily anticipated.
    If this sounds like a sales a pitch... that might be true. I rode this bike consistently last season. But I dont think it was the right size for me. I rode other bikes and saw how my posture could improve drastically. Maybe it was the way I built it up. not sure. But I am working on a smaller bike for next season. Staying with the Torelli / Mondonico line.
    Here's the pitch. I am selling a 56 cm Corsa Strada in great condition. It is dark metallic green from the mid nineties (prob '96). Aelle tubing, basically the same bike. I want to sell this bike by march or april. let me know if you are interested. I have a great ebay rating and I am totally legit. Pics, info, please ask. I would really enjoy sending this bike somewhere it is going to be cared for.
    Please send pic's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I sold it a while ago.

I might have a picture if you just want to see it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    No, that's okay.

Thanks,

Jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

question

Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    Mondonico does not make the Corsa Strada, and as far as I know, never did. He did build some of the higher end Torelli frames, the Countach until economic considerations forced Torelli to go to another builder and TIG welding to meet their price point. He was still building their Nitro Express until Torelli discontinued it. Now, he doesn't build anything, as he's retired.

As far as I know, Corsa Stradas were built by the brothers Taverna, and may still be. They were going to be licensed to build the new Mondonico frames, but as I understand it, they were having a few quality control issues, and Torelli went elsewhere. I guess they just didn't quite measure up to Mauro Mondonico's discriminating eye. If I heard the name correctly, I believe the new Mondonico frames are being built by Billato, very fine builders in their own right. Just not with pinned lugs anymore.

You might want to look into a new frame venture, Il Massimo, a joint partnership of Mauro Mondonico and Alex Stanek, owner of Smart Cycles of Norwalk, CT., although these frames will probably go for quite a bit more than the Corsa Strada. Mauro specs the frames and oversees quality control, and they don't seem to be too different from what Torelli and Mondonico were doing. The frames even use the tried and true Mondonico geometry. My only disappointment was that the frames seem to cost what Mondonicos do as well; I was hoping they might be priced a bit less, I would have jumped on one. Still might get one at some point, but have to save my pennies.

http://www.cicli-il-massimo.us/
    Rufus, you seem to know quite a bit about Torelli's. I have a Brianza (maybe 2002?), Columbus Zona, TIG welded, that has a sticker that says simply "Made in San Marino" Any idea whio the builder is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I would like to see a pic.

Thanks

off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    Rufus, you seem to know quite a bit about Torelli's. I have a Brianza (maybe 2002?), Columbus Zona, TIG welded, that has a sticker that says simply "Made in San Marino" Any idea whio the builder is?
    No clue. I would guess Taverna, but wouldn't guarantee it.

J24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    Rufus,
    Who did Bill McGann sellout to?

off the back
    Todd somebody, you can find out on the website.