RoadBikeReview Member

Torelli Toccata experiences?

Anyone have experience with Torelli Toccata frames? It's that Alu lugged/ carbon tube one.

Thanks,

M.P.
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Daner2

I just bought one from EDiscount Cycles on EBay. I haven't built it up yet. They are selling it WAY below list. I have the red/black color scheme and it is very sharp. I read an article from the trade journals about how McCann and the Torelli folks are proud of the ride qualities of the frame. It IS made in China, by the way, a break with Torelli tradition.

Baroque
    Jan 2011
    I guess this is a bit of an old thread but I just ordered a Toccata and will be picking it up in about 4 to 6 weeks. I have not found too much information on them but am told from personal communication with a few folks that they ride nicely and that the joints at the carbon/aluminum junctions are very very strong, that the joints will not break or crack; a few year ago apparent Peugot had some problems with this on their alum/carb bikes but now makers know how to glue them without having cracks show up later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hoohaa
    I guess this is a bit of an old thread but I just ordered a Toccata and will be picking it up in about 4 to 6 weeks. I have not found too much information on them but am told from personal communication with a few folks that they ride nicely and that the joints at the carbon/aluminum junctions are very very strong, that the joints will not break or crack; a few year ago apparent Peugot had some problems with this on their alum/carb bikes but now makers know how to glue them without having cracks show up later.
    The Neuvation FC100 is very very similar. Looks like the same tube shaping, lugs, and stays. It may be the same frame made in the same factory with different badging. Take a look at the FC100, and advise what you think.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I raced on a local Torelli-sponsored team for a few years (Central Ohio) and raced on the Tocatta for two years before moving "up" to the Selvino. I liked the Tocatta better. Sure, it's a bit heavier with the internal lugs, but those lugs allowed Torelli to specify their own frame spec preferences. It's a great frame for $500 or less, which I assume is what you folks are paying. The major drawback with the Tocatta was that the fork offered by Torelli to go with it was a bit flimsy. I opted for a Colnago fork which of course left me with a mismatched frame and fork as far as logos go. Nobody ever commented on that though. The Toccata's geometry is such that you can ride a size smaller than normal and it still looks the same. Weird. I normally ride a 58 and my Tocatta was a 56 but looked close to my 58s and rode identically or better than my 58 sized frames. Wish I could say the same for the Selvino (which is compact and only comes in the typical S, M, L, and XL-I needed a L and my M is way too small and practically useless).

Baroque
    Jan 2011
    Wow, that really does look a lot like the Toccata; they're priced about the same too. I know that Torelli no longer makes the Toccata frame. I exchanged a couple of emails with Torelli and they said it's been "about 4 or 5 yrs." since they've made them. I have already purchased the frame and will likely pick it up in about a month or so. Very excited about it, it's my biggest bike purchase by far. Now I'm debating the wheelset. I'm sold on the Campagnolos and am trying to decide between Scirroco set, or Zonda or Eurus 2ways.

Baroque
    Jan 2011
    Nice to hear. I'm in a mountainous area and can't wait to get on it and ride (Utah). The fork will be a Reynolds Ouzo Pro---must say I don't know anything about it. I'm a recreational rider and of course would like to think I'm bad. Before settling on the Torelli, I really liked Colnago and I was impressed with a Rocky Mtn. Prestige that I rode. I finally decided to get a custom fit (as you mention the advantage of the lugs).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Good luck with that new frame. Please send pics and a ride report.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

Baroque
    Jan 2011

Torelli Toccata pic!!...finally

Finally did pick up my Torelli from GVH Bikes in Oregon about April 2011 and have put about 1600 mi. on it. It rides very nice but feels a bit squirrelly when I get over about 38 mph downhill. Not sure if it's me or perhaps being a 59.5/60 cm, maybe I'm feeling its flex. It's only been my 2nd season on a road bike since about 1975 (was mtn. biking for last 8 yrs. or so). Has Campagnolo Chorus compact gruppo.

This pic was at Red Rock Canyon outside Las Vegas about May 2011. I was running tubeless with the Campagnolo 2-way Zondas and about an hour later had a blowout (Hutchinson fusion 3s) on the sidewall and wound up putting a tube in get about 25 mi. back to a bike shop and buy a brand new tire with a tube inserted. The guy at the shop there said that road there are not the kind run tubeless (hot dry climate with lots of little wires/shrapnel from steel belts).

Also the experience with Tom at GVH BIkes was great and I'd recommend them without any reservations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Torelli Toccata experiences?-redrock-canyon-nevada.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Nice looking bike, got any closer pics? Aside from the standard geometry the frame construction reminds me of my 2006 KHS Flite 750 which is made by Trigon. I believe it is the same as the Neuvation as well.