RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Lightbulb Trek 1500 vs Specialized Allez elite 18

Looking to decide between these two bikes, specialized allez elite or trek 1500, they are both about $1000.

which one would anyone recommend ?

this is my first roadbike, I ride mountain bike 3 times/week looking to get the best bike at that range, I think these two are some of the best options.

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I decided between these exact same bikes. i bought the specialized and never looked back. In the specialized you get full 105 components (no tiagra front derailleur). I personally love the compact geometry frame and the carbon seatpost helps dampen vibrations. Try both, though, one may fit you better than the other, and both are great bikes for the money. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll love either one you decide on. Just a note, though...specialized makes aluminum frames from their lowest all the way up to their S-works (highest end) frames. Trek uses aluminum in their lower end bikes and carbon in their higher end bikes. I don't know if this proves anything, but specialized definitely puts their faith in an aluminum frame, and the allez elite is no exception.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    i was deciding on both too, as well as 2003 Cannondale R500 and 2004 Giant OCR, but it turned out i get the 2003 Specialized Allez Comp 18, and i got it for $1155, the bike feel much lighter than any other that i was looking at and it was at the same price range, but thats not all, i also get full ultegra, and Shimano 540 wheels, and carbon sit post. i don't know how many of you would come across to find such deal, but if you are beginning and in a budget, look for and old model from a LBS, you would likely to find the deal you wanted. not only was i lucky to get such good bike, but i was also very lucky that this deal happens to be in my LBS that have 2 yr unlimted tune up. So i would suggest to everyone to look at old models from ur LBS unless u really want to keep up with the year....