RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Trek 5200 vs. Giant TCR Composite 2

I need your opinions.. I was sold on the Giant TCR Composite 2 seeing that the components are pretty much the same as the 5200 and the bike is about $900.00 less.. The sales guy at the lbs is telling me the better buy would be to go with the Trek instead of the Giant because of the construction/quality.. He suggested I buy the Trek 5000 which is about $100.00 more than the Giant but has a lower groupo.. My decision will probably boil down to riding both but I am still interested to hear your opinions..

03 Fuji Marseille
    Jan 2003
    I go with the TCR 1 with is about the same price as the 5200 around here. I think its much better spec out with Elites,FSA,Easton. Frames are different geometry so you need to ride.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I would love the TCR 1 but I'm more than happy with the TCR 2 groupo.. What I'd like to know is if the Trek carbon frames are truely superior to the Giant?? I'm sure for me either would be more than adequate and it boils down to fit..

Fez
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Rippeyoo7
    I need your opinions.. I was sold on the Giant TCR Composite 2 seeing that the components are pretty much the same as the 5200 and the bike is about $900.00 less.. The sales guy at the lbs is telling me the better buy would be to go with the Trek instead of the Giant because of the construction/quality.. He suggested I buy the Trek 5000 which is about $100.00 more than the Giant but has a lower groupo.. My decision will probably boil down to riding both but I am still interested to hear your opinions..
    Think about which frame fits you better. Treks aren't a great fit for everybody. They are measured from center of BB to top of seat collar, so the end result is low standover and a short headtube. If you upsize your frame like some people do, then you get a longer top tube, which may be a problem for some. Giant offers few sizes, so think about whether the Giant size fits you well.

That said, I think at a given price point the Giant offers really great value. The frame is very light and the components are very nice. The TCR1 I saw had a full Ultegra group w/ DA rear deraileur, carbon cranks, Ksyrium Elites, Michelin tires, and Time Impact S pedals. The TCR2 had really great parts (some slightly downgraded), Cosmos wheels, and included Time pedals as well.

The Trek frame is also very nice, but there are a lot of Bontrager components on it. I think the wheelset, tires, saddle, post, bar, stem are all Bontrager. If you don't like Bontrager, then it could get expensive if you want to upgrade all of those parts on your own.

If you are leaning towards a 5200, which you say is $900 more, then why don't you get the next model up in the Giant line? At a given price point, Giant seems to always offer better components, so it probably boils down to which frame you love. And you could get either as a frameset, if you want to build your bike.

03 Fuji Marseille
    Jan 2003
    Also Trek has a better warr i think.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

RoadBikeReview Member
    What size frames are you considering for each? How comfortable are you with sizing considerations and setup? How did you boil it down to these two to begin with? What do you plan to do with this bike? Have you looked at C-dale, Jamis, Bianchi, Specialized, etc.? Did you check to see what the same $$$ would buy you at gvhbikes.com?

Fez
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Giant is lifetime, so is Trek

You think wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead1
    Also Trek has a better warr i think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I chose these two bikes because I want a carbon frame and also I've had good luck with my past Trek bikes.. I started looking at the Giant because it has great reviews and also because I currently have a tri bike and wanted a road bike that I could possibly make a little more tri like.. A lot of triathletes ride the giant compact geometry but I still need to go with what fits me too.. In the Giant I'd be a Med and w/ the Trek I'd ride a 54cm..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Oops.. I replied to the thread previous to the last..

Old enough to know better

I made the same decision you are trying to make right now. I went with the TCR 2 over the Trek for a few reasons. First the Giant fit ME better, and felt like a better ride to ME. You have to ride both and make up your own mind. Second I like the fact that not every "Fred" has my Giant, it seems like everyone and their dog rides a trek which is nice for trek but i m no poser and dont need to look like one. Also Giant now has a lifetime warr, which is awesome, i personaly think the Giant is a higher build quality plus now a lifetime warr even better! Lastly the Trek was more money for what i felt was LESS bike, didnt make sense to me, so i saved the cash got the giant and have not looked back! Good luck and hope you are happy with whatever you get.

EMR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I'd say go with the bike that fits YOU best. Having a nice bike like the Trek or the Giant is pointless if it doesn't fit you. Having said that, I just picked up a TCR Comp 2 this weekend and while I've only ridden it twice so far. I'm surprised at 1. How nice the ride is (I previously rode a Cannondale CAAD4) and 2. How well the bike fits me. I was able to easily set it up exactly like my Cannondale. I'd say the Giant is the best bang for your buck, but only consider it if it fits YOU.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, I agree the fit is the most important factor.. The whole point to this is that the bike shop is encouraging me to go for the Trek because they say it's a better bike.. I would prefer the Trek considering it's made in the U.S. but fact is if the Giant is all it's cracked up to be the Trek can't compete in value.. The comparable Trek(in price) to the TCR 2 is the 5000 which has a mixture of 105, Ultegra and Bontrager components.. Thanks for the input!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, I agree the fit is the most important factor.. The whole point to this is that the bike shop is encouraging me to go for the Trek because they say it's a better bike.. I would prefer the Trek considering it's made in the U.S. but fact is if the Giant is all it's cracked up to be the Trek can't compete in value.. The comparable Trek(in price) to the TCR 2 is the 5000 which has a mixture of 105, Ultegra and Bontrager components.. Thanks for the input!
    I have a TCR Comp 2, enjoy it very much. I did want to get a Trek 5200, been wanting one for years. I got the Giant because I've owned a TCR 1 and I liked the fit, plus on the value side as my team's shop is a Giant dealer. But the Trek fits me well too. I've ridden both, but I plan to race again and liked the responsiveness of the Giant over the Trek when racing crits. Fit is quite important but shouldn't be difficult to fit you to either bike as long as you get the top tube length right (It's easier on the Trek as they offer more sizing options). Ride both, consider what kind of riding you want to do (i.e racing or recreation riding, long distance etc.) and get the bike that works best for you (or your budget ;) ). I like my Giant for what I plan to use it for, but I also like the Trek for long rides or road racing. I kind of compromised as I swapped the Shimano 540's on my TCR Comp 2 for Bontrager Race Lites and I plan on getting Race X Lite Aeros soon (I'm waiting to see what 2005 has to offer). As far as the bike shop's opinion, they sell Trek so they are going to say it's better, go to a Giant dealership and they'll tell you the same thing. Both bikes are high quality, I have teammates that have raced both the Trek and Giant, you can't miss with either bike. If you are only looking for value then the Giant is the way to go, but you can't go wrong if you get the 5200 or the Madone 5.2 which I guess is replacing it. Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Great, thanks! The bike shop I went to is a Giant dealer too.. Maybe they have a bigger nut to crack with Trek and that's why they are favoring them..