RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

trek 6.9 ssl shack bike

just a silly question.. what is a 2 month old 6.9 ssl worth? it has sram red, fsa wings, bontrager aura 5 wheels w/r4 tires.. i was told by a bike shop i would be hard pressed to get 2k out of the bike! don

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    You'd probably get about half of what you paid for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Are you selling your bike after 2 months? if so, why?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    i'd use ebay as a gauge for market value...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    its already starting out like my madone 5.2..awsome ride..if you can keep it in any gear..front deralure sticks on big ring(no ****) take about 10 times to get it back. one again very inconsistant on shifting (sram red)..the best mech was on my bike for 4 hours! he even took it out for a ride..same noises and shifting issues with his buck 05 ass on it.he did call sram, they had him do all kinds of run thru's. sram says that T*** cut too many links out of the chain? i do understand the skewers. but, that was not our main concern at the time. i hope the chain fixes it. he said also if this does not work they r sending new parts out.. i just want the bike to shift when i want to. i dont want it to click and get stuck in gears...is this too much to ask?? don

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post
    its already starting out like my madone 5.2..awsome ride..if you can keep it in any gear..front deralure sticks on big ring(no ****) take about 10 times to get it back. one again very inconsistant on shifting (sram red)..the best mech was on my bike for 4 hours! he even took it out for a ride..same noises and shifting issues with his buck 05 ass on it.he did call sram, they had him do all kinds of run thru's. sram says that T*** cut too many links out of the chain? i do understand the skewers. but, that was not our main concern at the time. i hope the chain fixes it. he said also if this does not work they r sending new parts out.. i just want the bike to shift when i want to. i dont want it to click and get stuck in gears...is this too much to ask?? don
    Oh, I get it now.

Wait? WTF did you say?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    basically, sram thinks trek cut the chain too small. so, sram is sending a new chain to lbs. it has very inconsistant shifting, and it clicks and sticks in gears. my mech at shopcalled sram. sram told him to put things thru some kind of test (run thru he called it?)

just want to get it fixed and get a helix os with sram.. im not sure why two bikes have the same issue. i just want a bike with no problems. i have a $90 mountain bike that shifts better.. don

RoadBikeReview Member
    here's a way to save yourself hassle and a lot of $ - go online and buy a KMC X10SL gold chain and either install it yourself or get your LBS to do it. I'd bet I could get your drivetrain smooth as silk in 5 minutes that way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Maybe you should consult with another mechanic. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out shifting issues on a high quality group.

That is if the new chain doesn't fix the issue. Also, doesn't the shop have some chains in stock that they could just install for you instead of waiting for a warranty chain to arrive, just to see if that does fix the issue. I could understand waiting if it was a rear derailleur or shifter, but every shop should have chains in stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    yea, i thought about the chain, but i guess its a "special" chain.lol

does that make sense about the chain? also said something about the spring or springs in derailure. i just hope it works.. i want to ride......don

Gears 4 Good
    Has the mechanic checked the alignment of the rear derailleur hanger? If it is bent (even a little) it could cause trouble. I've been there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Yes, the hanger was the 1st thing he checked. Then after that he did a few adjustments. It would shift perfect he would take out out and it did it again.. I'm like here we go again.except this time I will not pay for anything. Don