Thread: Trek Domane 4.5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Trek Domane 4.5

I just tested the 4.0 but wanted to upgrade to ultegra since the Tiagra wasn't shifting very smoothly. My LBS said he could get one for $2100.00 plus tax. If the bike fits how does this price sound?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    if the Tiagra wasn't shifting smoothly it was probably because most shops don't tune bikes before they allow test rides. No doubt Ultegra is better stuff, but the smoothness is likely not about the parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The upgrades from the 4.0 to the 4.5 are more than the shifters. Tiagra to Ultegra shifters and derailleurs, no-name to 105 brakes, nicer crank, and the new tubeless ready Race wheelset.

The 4.5 has a great spec for the price and if your dealer is ready to part with one for $2100, grab it.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I decided to wait. Still want to check out the cannondale synapse and the roubaix. But, after comparing the difference between aluminum and carbon I'm going with carbon. I used to ride a bianchi two decades ago and the carbon trek was nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    $2100 for a Domane 4.5 sounds great to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin G View Post
    $2100 for a Domane 4.5 sounds great to me.
    Yeah I'm torn since I haven't tried cannondale or specialized yet. I could do a refundable deposit for a couple of weeks.

Heres a side question. I really wanted to get a triple crank but the response at a couple of LBS was forget it. But I have a bad knee and plan on biking hilly areas. So, is it even possible to get a carbon frame with a triple?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cognitivebias1 View Post
    Yeah I'm torn since I haven't tried cannondale or specialized yet. I could do a refundable deposit for a couple of weeks.

Heres a side question. I really wanted to get a triple crank but the response at a couple of LBS was forget it. But I have a bad knee and plan on biking hilly areas. So, is it even possible to get a carbon frame with a triple?
    I agree with the LBS. Get a compact double with a big cassette in the back. With a 34 in the front and a 30 in the back, you should be able to spin up anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Definitely no on the triple. Agree with Vitamin G.

I pulled the trigger on a Domane 4.5, and am a big fan. I tried out the Roubaix and a few other more endurance bikes, but kept coming back to the Domane. The IsoSpeed on the Domane is really a game-changer IMO.

I got the 4.5 because I wanted pretty much everything Ultegra (and I liked the color much better too). Yet, I thought I got a deal earlier this year at $2,600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I decided to wait. Still want to check out the cannondale synapse and the roubaix. But, after comparing the difference between aluminum and carbon I'm going with carbon. I used to ride a bianchi two decades ago and the carbon trek was nice.
    I'm curious what you ultimately decided? I'm in a similar situation. The only Roubaix that I liked was the SL4, and that's out of my price range. I also thought the Domane (I also tried the 4.0) to be more forgiving than the Synapse (the one that's carbon with 105). I thought that the Domane was generally smaller than both the others. Curious to hear your experiences...

Recycle King
    Have you consider the Cervelo R3? Alot of people who have test ridden it wind up buying it.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Trek makes the Domane with a triple in several levels including teh 5.2 - not sure exactly which models but you can figure that out easily looking on their website. I went with the compact double however and am happy with it. If I lived in a very hilly area and had knee problems I would have considered the triple for sure.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    From my reply to a thread in the General forum:

"(I ended up getting a) Trek Domane 5.2

I started out looking at aluminum/Tiagra bikes around the $1000 mark and somehow ended up at the carbon/Ultegra level by the time I was done with my test rides. There were large differences between how the Madones and Domanes rode, and between how the aluminum Domanes and carbon Domanes rode. There was not much difference between Tiagra, 105, and Ultegra on the shop's short test route (which is a nice up/down so you're rowing through the gears and using the brakes) and gun to my head, I would have said that the Tiagra performed the best since it seemed to be the most dialed in terms of shifter and brake setup. I ultimately jumped at the chance to get a 5.2 with Ultegra for the price of 4.5 with 105 since I might ultimately appreciate the higher gruppo with more experience given that I strongly prefer XT over SLX in the mtb gruppos."

The reply from one of the shops I went to was that triples were for girls. I don't really buy that. I ended up getting a compact crank but there's short 23% section on a Cat 4 climb on my standard ride that still kicks my backside where I wish I could gear lower than 34-28. That being said, 10+ speeds in the rear don't seem to play nicely with front derailleurs (always rubbing a little when you're cross-chained, even after adjustment and trimming) and a triple crank is just going to exacerbate that.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Roadie View Post
    Definitely no on the triple. Agree with Vitamin G.

I pulled the trigger on a Domane 4.5, and am a big fan. I tried out the Roubaix and a few other more endurance bikes, but kept coming back to the Domane. The IsoSpeed on the Domane is really a game-changer IMO.
    I'm in complete agreement regarding the IsoSpeed and I like how Trek quantified it (something like 50% more vertical compliance than the Madone) so that's it's a bit more substantial than typical marketing-speak. I'm also glad that you went out and rode the competition. I had given a Spesh a parking lot workout, but after working my way through the 1-series, Madone, and various trim levels of Domane, I just wanted a bike and never followed through with my plan to give the Roubaix, Cervelo R3, Felt Z85, and Giant Defy some test rides. A massive sale at my LBS accelerated my purchase timeline as well. My reading on this forum and others seemed to be in agreement that the IsoSpeed was a game changer as you said, and that I wasn't going to find that in any of the competing endurance geo bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Trek makes the Domane with a triple in several levels including teh 5.2 - not sure exactly which models but you can figure that out easily looking on their website. I went with the compact double however and am happy with it. If I lived in a very hilly area and had knee problems I would have considered the triple for sure.
    You have to step down to the Domane 4.3 WSD or up to the 5.2 to get the triple option here in the US. The WSD is the exact same frame and setup except for the handlebars and seat, and any decent LBS will switch those out for you at minimal or no cost. I actually test road the 4.3 WSD and preferred the reach (though the width of the handlebars were too narrow) over the stock non-WSD setup on the 56cm size. I would have pulled the trigger a lot sooner on the regular 4.3 had it been available here - full 105 gruppo and one of the best colorways in the catalog. Not sure why Trek left it off of our menu.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Picked up my new 4.5 today! Got it on close-out since the Ultegra 6700 it came with is being replaced by the Ultegra 6800. The only close second was the Roubaix SL4 expert, but would have been another $1k more. With the exception of going with a shorter stem, pretty perfect fit. Added 105 pedals. Thanks for all the information in this thread. Next purchase is that Duo-Sensor thingy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mdp0430 View Post
    Picked up my new 4.5 today! Got it on close-out since the Ultegra 6700 it came with is being replaced by the Ultegra 6800. The only close second was the Roubaix SL4 expert, but would have been another $1k more. With the exception of going with a shorter stem, pretty perfect fit. Added 105 pedals. Thanks for all the information in this thread. Next purchase is that Duo-Sensor thingy...
    Excellent! Now get out and ride!