RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Trek Domane SLR7 disc UDI2 vs BMC RoadMachine 01 disc UDI2

(Im not sure if I should have kept it under a thread I posted previously or started a new thread?)

Note: I plan to purchase a customized wheelset for whatever bike I get before/with the bike purchase. HED Belgium Plus 32h disc.

I went to an lbs today to test ride both of these bikes. While I like the RM01 a lot from aesthetics to the ride... it did feel a bit stiff on the road. It felt more like my Cervelo R3. Unfortunately, the bike only had 25s vs 28 sized tires so Im sure there can be a difference there. Also, I felt like I was reaching a bit which made me think it was more an aggressive geometry but the website states it can supply different sized stem lengths. Im prefering to keep on top of the hoods so Im curious if they also have a positive angle stem?

One thing that has me concerned is that the lbs store informed me that I should be aware about the seat stem (not the actual stem but what the stem goes into the frame... trying to find the appropriate word choice) reports that it has been "cracking!" And the BMC warranty can normally take up to 3 months to deliver a new frame? Are there any known information about this information? This definitely gave me a view point of looking at the Trek.

Lastly, the shop seemed to be hesitant to "buyback" parts after a fit. For example, I wanted to get fit before I bought a bike. So, I was hoping to exchange the handle bar to a width that would fit me. The stock width is 38 and I believe I would need a 42. They may not replace it from the RM01 and that would mean I need to purchase a new handle bar and just "throw away/ebay" the other one. Kinda sucks there. Also, with wheelset and other normal fitting changes needed on a bike.

The Domane, on the other hand, if I were to get a Project One bike... They can "order" the correct widths for me and give me credit for the wheelset. So, it seems the Domane stuff is "easier to resell?"

The test ride was nicer than the RM01 but it was hard for me to tell a true difference other than... "Hmm... this feels a lot smoother!" The wheelsize did make a difference 32s on the Domane and 25s on the RM01 originally but I tried the Domane's 32s on the RM01 and I felt the Trek had it beat in comfortability. In regards to aesthetics, I didnt like the stock colors on the trek. But, if it would help getting the Project One bike and the other modifications to make it easier for me to get credit/replacement parts... then it might be worth it and I get to pick my color scheme. Which is a huge plus!

Just curious if anyone can provide any first hand information to tip me over one side vs another? At this point, I am back to leaning on the Domane for the Project One bike and the shop would be willing to work with me more on the replacing of parts... but the RM01 is a very nice bike too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    From what you have written here, it looks like all signs are pointing to the Trek. Better comfort, room for wider tires, fits you better, shop is more willing to swap parts and less quality control issues. The Trek is $6,500, the BMC is $11,000. So your only reservation about the Trek is the color?

Are these the two bikes?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1468000-2017/

roadmachine 01 Dura Ace Di2 ? Road ? BMC Switzerland

Well, OK, I'll agree the white Trek color is pretty boring, but IMO not a dealbreaker if you like everything else about it. And what size frame do you take that the BMC is being sold with narrow 38mm handlebars? Most road bikes are sold with somewhere between 40 and 44mm handlebars.

And you will ride away with $4,500 saved.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Are you expecting the shop to "buy back" that 38cm bar at full retail price? Keep in mind that they will have very few customers looking for a handlebar that narrow (and the vast majority of those customers will be receiving them already supplied with their new bikes).
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    From what you have written here, it looks like all signs are pointing to the Trek. Better comfort, room for wider tires, fits you better, shop is more willing to swap parts and less quality control issues. The Trek is $6,500, the BMC is $11,000. So your only reservation about the Trek is the color?

Are these the two bikes?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1468000-2017/

roadmachine 01 Dura Ace Di2 ? Road ? BMC Switzerland

Well, OK, I'll agree the white Trek color is pretty boring, but IMO not a dealbreaker if you like everything else about it. And what size frame do you take that the BMC is being sold with narrow 38mm handlebars? Most road bikes are sold with somewhere between 40 and 44mm handlebars.

And you will ride away with $4,500 saved.
    In this context, it would be the BMC RM01 UDI2 (Black/Orange) for $7500. So, it would be a $1000 in savings from the bikes MSRP. But, adding the Project One colors would add $500 to the Domane so its $7k vs $7.5k. So, not much of a huge advantage there other than the shop being able to swap parts easily for a less expense after the purchase.

In regards to the 38mm handlebars... it was more of an example of a number vs the actual number. Im not sure what the actual numbers were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Are you expecting the shop to "buy back" that 38cm bar at full retail price? Keep in mind that they will have very few customers looking for a handlebar that narrow (and the vast majority of those customers will be receiving them already supplied with their new bikes).
    Yes and No. I am "hoping" for the shop to give me an exchange of handlebars for a larger size. I apologize for the mis-information (its my ignorance in regards to size of handlebars) in regards to stating the 38mm size vs anything else.

The thought I was trying to portray was that I would like the shop to give me credit for whatever handlebar so I can replace it with one the fitter recommends. By getting a fit before I even by a bike, I am hoping that the shop can work with me and replace the sizing of parts needed vs me purchasing them "on-top-of" the bike purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtiClydesdale View Post
    In this context, it would be the BMC RM01 UDI2 (Black/Orange) for $7500. So, it would be a $1000 in savings from the bikes MSRP. But, adding the Project One colors would add $500 to the Domane so its $7k vs $7.5k. So, not much of a huge advantage there other than the shop being able to swap parts easily for a less expense after the purchase.

In regards to the 38mm handlebars... it was more of an example of a number vs the actual number. Im not sure what the actual numbers were.
    OK, I sort of misunderstood regarding colors. "Project One" is a Trek color option. And the BMC I saw in the link is green, but you say it's black and orange which sounds really nice.

That being said, didn't you say the Trek fit you better and was more comfortable? That's more important than anything else.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The green BMC RoadMachine is the initial colorway release of the DuraAce 9100 Di2 bike - it's the ugliest bike I've ever seen

The Orange/Black bike is the Ultegra Di2 version - which is rather nice looking

There are other colorways already available as framesets (Silver/Black, Blue, Matte Red) - more should be available soon in built models

And FWIW, my local BMC shop is willing to swap parts around to some degree, but not for free - sometimes in exchange for store credit - other times at your cost - YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OK, I sort of misunderstood regarding colors. "Project One" is a Trek color option. And the BMC I saw in the link is green, but you say it's black and orange which sounds really nice.

That being said, didn't you say the Trek fit you better and was more comfortable? That's more important than anything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    And I agree with Lombard about the fit - this is absolutely the most important thing.

Components and wheels will come and go - frame fit you are stuck with.

It doesn't matter what logo or color is on it - it needs to be a bike you are comfortable riding or you won't ride it - trust me on this - I'm speaking from experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    And I agree with Lombard about the fit - this is absolutely the most important thing.

Components and wheels will come and go - frame fit you are stuck with.

It doesn't matter what logo or color is on it - it needs to be a bike you are comfortable riding or you won't ride it - trust me on this - I'm speaking from experience.
    Exactly. Though now that I looked up and found a pic of the black/orange color scheme, I sort of understand the pause. That is a sweet color scheme. But remember, this is a bike, not a livingroom ornament.

Edit: I just looked at the Project One color options. The Gran Premio option (black with yellow) looks really sharp!
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-05-2017 at 02:46 PM.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Likewise I was on the fence between the Trek SLR7 and the Roadmachine. I really like how integrated the high end Roadmachine is. I also like that color scheme. The middle tier one in the horrible yellow color was right out. Ended up going the Trek route.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Based on my experiences from 20 years ago, I am hesitant about the new "integrated" stem and other parts. BMC has a lot of integrated and proprietary stuff.

I had a klein attitude - integrated stem and bars; proprietary headset, fork upper/steerer tube; and klein's integrated BB. So, trek bought klein, made the brand crappy, and discontinued it. The problem was trying to replace the handlebar/stem combo after klein was done making that particular version.

I would simply steer clear of all that business. Once the company moves on from that particular configuration, you are left holding the bag with no options.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff is super cool. If I got it at a steep discount (employee purchase type prices), then I would be fine with the fact that the parts will not exist forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    After seeing the new Project 1 domane RSL disc ... I know what I would choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Based on my experiences from 20 years ago, I am hesitant about the new "integrated" stem and other parts. BMC has a lot of integrated and proprietary stuff.

I had a klein attitude - integrated stem and bars; proprietary headset, fork upper/steerer tube; and klein's integrated BB. So, trek bought klein, made the brand crappy, and discontinued it. The problem was trying to replace the handlebar/stem combo after klein was done making that particular version.

I would simply steer clear of all that business. Once the company moves on from that particular configuration, you are left holding the bag with no options.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff is super cool. If I got it at a steep discount (employee purchase type prices), then I would be fine with the fact that the parts will not exist forever.
    I ran the warranty department at Klein in those days. We had a couple of shipping containers of the original Mission Control stem/bar combos and original forks for the old Attitudes and Adroits so that we could supply them to folks who were in need - even though we had moved on to a new tapered headset design in '94. After Trek took over they forced us to dispose of the old stock. Their attitude was that warranty customers would get a new frame and those who damaged their old bar/stem or fork out of warranty could just buy a new bike.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I also went with the Trek Domane P1 route. The wait time though...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2016
    I have a '14 domane and was tempted by the new geometry but ordered a new roadmachine instead. Should take delivery in the next couple weeks-- can't wait.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk