Thread: Trek Madone 4.7

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Trek Madone 4.7

New to the forum, but looking for a little buying help! Local bike shop has a womens Trek Madone 4.7 at a great deal for just short of 1200$ out the door. I've determined that a 56 is the ideal size for me, and this is a 56 and felt great on the short ride I took it for. Are there any concerns with a guy riding a womens bike? They mentioned the saddle would be at a slightly different angle but that could be easily changed, and that the top tube length was shorter I think. But at that price, they said the components and frame are worth it by itself, even being a 2 year old bike. I'm approx 5'11 and 165lbs if that would matter.

I appreciate any help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trudeljb View Post
    New to the forum, but looking for a little buying help! Local bike shop has a womens Trek Madone 4.7 at a great deal for just short of 1200$ out the door. I've determined that a 56 is the ideal size for me, and this is a 56 and felt great on the short ride I took it for. Are there any concerns with a guy riding a womens bike? They mentioned the saddle would be at a slightly different angle but that could be easily changed, and that the top tube length was shorter I think. But at that price, they said the components and frame are worth it by itself, even being a 2 year old bike. I'm approx 5'11 and 165lbs if that would matter.

I appreciate any help!
    If the bike fits, it fits. If you can live with the pastel color scheme of the frame/bar tape that Trek seems to use on WSD models.

If you're concerned about the strength of the frame, no need. I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of 165 lb women riding WSD Madones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I have another question for you. Another bike I'm very interested in is the Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105. It's a couple hundred dollars more, but has gotten glowing reviews everywhere I've read, and is a 2012 model. I think it was listed at 1550$. Which would you suggest? Thanks for the help I appreciate it. To be honest the color wasn't really too bad, I would say there are other colors I'd prefer, but I like it.