RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Frame size help please? Trek madone.

Hi there everyone. I'm after your good advice. I have the chance to purchase a 60cm six series pro fit madone frame and forks. I'm 6 feet tall with a 33-34 inch inside leg.

I know I'm no Lance Armstrong, but I know he is 5 feet 9 inches tall and rides a 58cm madone. Comparing the frame specs, there is a 2cm length increase in seat and head tubes and a 3 inch increase in my height over LA. I've always preferred my bikes to have a frame size slightly tipping towards the larger size, rather than the small with longer stem, higher seat, etc.

Therefore, Do you think this frame size would be suitable for me?

Looking forward to your replies and valued advice.
    Cheers
    Shane
    Last edited by Madone74; 09-02-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: To change title

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Comparing yourself to Lance Armstrong is not a good way to figure out the proper bike size.

I'm 5 feet 9 inches and ride a 54 cm measured center to center. I have an inseam measurement of 32 inches. Google "bike frame size calculator road". There are many resources out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    33-34 inch could be a frame size. You need to measure exactly if you are going to use that to determine size or saddle height. Also, I would think 60 would be too large for you. I'm 6 feet with a 35 inch inseam, I would ride a 58. I could probably ride a 60 but I would be using a very short stem.

Get a better measurement, do some seat height calculations on the web and set the bike up like that and see how it looks and rides for you. I'm guessing the saddle will look too low and your reach will feel too long.

What the Hell is going on
    I agree with cyclist-ca. Using a Pro cyclist as a gauge for your bike fit is a bad idea. When I was younger I would slam back my saddle and put on a longer stem to get a flat back while in the drops like the European pros. I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and can comfortably fit a 58cm frame ('99 Schwinn Peloton) although most of my bikes are 60cm.

Competitive Cyclist has a decent fit calculator that will get you in the right ballpark. In fact they give you three examples for you to try.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Madone74 View Post
    I know I'm no Lance Armstrong, but I know he is 5 feet 9 inches tall and rides a 58cm madone.
    You have to keep in mind that the revelation of Lance riding a 58 cm Madone was made in the days of the old Madone. That 58 cm nominal size was based on the distance between the center of the bottom bracket and the very top of the significantly extended seat tube, as shown in the graphic below. The center-to-center dimension of that so-called 58 cm Madone was more like 55 cm. That is a huge difference as frame sizing goes. My suggestion would be to completely ignore Lance's bike size and go to Trek's seat mast height range chart for the new Madone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fit, of course involves more than height and inseam... but 60cm sounds too big. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and got fitted to a 58. (Though ended up with a Cervelo R3 in the end.)
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 6'3" and I'm on a 2013 Madone. It's 60cm, and I probably could fit on a 58 if I had a 130mm stem (100mm on my current setup). Just go to a shop with both sizes and see what works for you. I got lucky, mine was a gift and bought for me as a guess based on the sizing of my 12 year old Trek 2500. Different geometries for sure, but it worked out that both being 60cm is perfect for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys for all your very useful information. Much appreciated.
    I agree that a 58cm Madone with a fit, would be the correct size for me after sitting on a couple in my local trek dealership.

For the record, wasnt comparing myself in any way shape or form to LA, merely rider height and frame size. As it turns out, the frame has been sold anyway.

Once again, thanks for your valuable advice

dfdf
    Feb 2009
    Lance rode a 56 from what I remember reading which probably was wrong considering his height,inseam & how much seatpost was showing,looks like he rode a 54 when I seen him ride here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    Lance rode a 56 from what I remember reading which probably was wrong considering his height,inseam & how much seatpost was showing,looks like he rode a 54 when I seen him ride here.
    That is wrong, he was on a 58 as previously mentioned. Here are the specs from the bike he rode in the '09 Giro-

Frame: Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red M58
    Fork: Trek Madone E2
    Seat tube length: 580mm
    EFF Top tube length: 57.2mm
    Front & Rear brakes: SRAM Red
    Brake levers: SRAM Red DoubleTap
    Shift levers: SRAM Red
    Front derailleur: SRAM Red w.34.9mm clamp
    Rear derailleur: SRAM Red
    Cassette: SRAM Red 1090 Powerdome 11-25 cassette (11,12,13,14,15,17,19,21,23,25)
    Chain: SRAM PC-1090 Powerchain
    Crankset: SRAM / SRM Powermeter Pro wireless prototype / 5339 chainrings / 175mm cranks
    Bottom bracket: SRAM GXP Team ceramic
    Wheelset: Bontrager Select clincher
    Tires: Bontrager Bontrager Race X Lite AC 23mm width
    Bars: Bontrager Race XXX Lite VR OS 46cm (c-c)
    Stem: Bontrager Race XXX Lite OS Carbon 130mm
    Headset: Trek Madone
    Tape/grip: Bontrager cork
    Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 7810 SPD-SL
    Seat post: Trek Madone integrated
    Saddle: Bontrager Inform RL
    Bottle cages: Bontrager Carbon
    Computer: SRM Powermeter Pro wireless

It is possible that he'd ridden different sized bikes earlier in his career, but all the sizing I've seen indicates that he was on a 58 for the most part. Here's a thread from this forum that has an article posted about a Merckx frame he rode in 1992 that was also a 58-
    Lance on MXL in 1992 Tour of Ireland
    Last edited by Dan333sp; 09-05-2012 at 11:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Old thread I know but can't stress how much you need to get measured when changing. I'm 6'2 and have been fitted 58cm for three different trek bikes. Went to a Trek Madone 5.2 and they were adamant it needed to be 60cm. I got another refit elsewhere and said I was better suited to the longer frame as well. I didn't realise how different models could be...