RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

Trek Tire Clearance

Hey Everyone,

So I had been wondering about tire clearance on a Trek Domane and what it could fit. A trek rep was in the store when this was being discussed and mentioned that all Trek bikes are designed to have at minimum a 6mm tire clearance on all non-moving parts of the bike. With this in mind I looked at about 3-4 domanes (including my own at home) and there is more like 4-5mm in some sections.

So a random question, but if trek "designs" their bikes with a minimum of 6mm, why does it seem less on Trek bikes out in the wild? Maybe they don't consider which tires are being used?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    Hey Everyone,

So I had been wondering about tire clearance on a Trek Domane and what it could fit. A trek rep was in the store when this was being discussed and mentioned that all Trek bikes are designed to have at minimum a 6mm tire clearance on all non-moving parts of the bike. With this in mind I looked at about 3-4 domanes (including my own at home) and there is more like 4-5mm in some sections.

So a random question, but if trek "designs" their bikes with a minimum of 6mm, why does it seem less on Trek bikes out in the wild? Maybe they don't consider which tires are being used?
    The rep is full of crap or you misinterpreted. Bikes are designed with a max tire clearance in mind. Designing around a minimum has no logic at all. It might make a little sense in the context of discussing wind tunnel testing but otherwise just ignore what you heard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    So then if there is less than 6mm somewhere, its ok? This was a previous CS rep from Trek and even said he wasn't too keen on the details, just that the magic number was 6mm in terms of a bikes design to allow for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels View Post
    So then if there is less than 6mm somewhere, its ok? This was a previous CS rep from Trek and even said he wasn't too keen on the details, just that the magic number was 6mm in terms of a bikes design to allow for.
    You'll have to decide for yourself how close you're willing to push it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    To clarify a little, the rep said there are bike safety guidelines, and that Trek tries to make sure there is a minimum of 6mm on any non moving parts of the bike of tire clearance. I think its a safety thing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    I suppose it depends how much your wheels/frame flex and how much crap you pick up on your tires while riding. I have around 3-4mm on my road bike (non-Trek, but brand is sort of irrelevant), and it's never been an issue.

As far as the Domane is concerned, it will fit at least a 28. The direct mount brakes really help with clearance. If you're go with discs, I'd assume that would open it up even more. This is apparently a 28 on a rim bike: http://trek.scene7.com/is/image/Trek..._5_Domane_SL_6