RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Question True North Cycles frames

I am calling on the experience of the members and visitors of this forum:
    I am considering the purchase of a confortable performance road bike. I presently ride a 1999 Trek 5200 size 56. I experience neck and shoulder pain after 2 hours in the saddle.
    I have considered the following choices: Specialized Roubaix, Cervelo RS, Trek 6.5 Performance, Parlee Z4 or a Custom Build Frame.
    Only recently did I hear (and visited) True North Cycles, a custom frame builder in Guelph, Ontario. Since they are close to me, I feel why go somewhere else.
    But I would greatly appreciate receiving feedback and experience with this frame builder.

Roadbike Rider
    I have only seen True North at the Toronto bike show and don't know any owners. Are you thinking Ti or steel? The steel does not appear to be lugged but TIG welded

I think you take more of a risk with a small builder but that's made up for by the customization and personal attention to your needs

You might try posting on the Canada forum.
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

toomanybikes
    Hugh Black at True North has been in business for many years, and is a well experienced builder, both in steel and Ti.

I have only ever heard very good things about his work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    LIke Chainstay, I saw them at the Toronto Bike Show and the bikes looked good but not over the top, Sorry I can't help you on the ride of this bike but also check out Marinoni, they do custom work and have been around the block for over thirty years or so.

Maybe something like this would fit the bill.

http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/Html/SportivoPlus.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I was thinking about carbon. Thanks Chainstay for the advice to post on the Canada forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    You might also check out the eastern canada forum on MTBR.

True North bikes are commonly seen at southern ontario MTB and CX races, and are very highly regarded. Definitely worth checking out if you're into metal frames.

A wheelist
    Hugh's been in the frame business since about '97ish and does great work. He'll do whatever you like in steel, Ti or carbon. He's got much experience and is an engineer by education and a nice guy to boot.

I had one of his mtb frames around '98 and he did a great job and I know a few people that have road, mtb and track frames.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

i like whiskey
    The best option for a custom frame is someone you can work directly with and has been around for a while. Building since '97 constitutes "a while" in my book. Being able to walk into a shop and work directly with the builder is a major plus in my book.

I say you're crazy to go anywhere else.