RoadBikeReview Member

TT frame set up as a Roadbike

Ok i really like the Time trial frame.
    i like the designs of them but i would like to buy one and set it up as a normal road bike with out the Areo bars (curved bars) and such items
    i only ride about 10 to 25 mile. Would the geometry be find if i was to but one from the Ebay seller
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Full-C...item3f00721f57

does anyone have photos of one set up how i am asking place post them thanks

Just Plain Bitter
    Check this thread for information on this frame.

Carbon Ebay Frames for 2010 use this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes thank i read every post for that
    well the question was can a TT frame be set up with road bike parts

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlmackjr
    Yes thank i read every post for that
    well the question was can a TT frame be set up with road bike parts
    Can it be setup? Sure.

Will it be comfortable? I'd wager not.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    You might want an extra setback seatpost to make up for the seat tube angle to more-closely match the setup of your road bikes (if you have any at the moment).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    It will be way heavier than a regular road frame.people will be like "WTF"

RoadBikeReview Member

thanks for the replies

like i have posted before i like the WTF factor i am not racing just to ride with a group or alone
    i really like the way the frame and forks curves with the tires and it not normal i would try to find something that has similar frame dimension

BUT IT JUST A IDEA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Hey dude, go for it. It is out of the box thinking that will possibly get you a sweet ride. I did this exact thing and am VERY happy with it. And no, my bike is not heavy or uncomfortable. I noticed long ago that with my old road bike configured and fitted in typical fashion I was often riding scooted up on the narrow part of the seat. So when I decided to build my dream bike I came across a very sweet deal on a Guru Crono frame (Guru's top of the line TT frame). I knew it was a bold experiment that had the potential to backfire but I did it anyway. I built the Guru Crono up as a roadbike. Here is the spec list: Guru Crono frame, Zipp 303 tubular wheels with Tufo Elite Jet tires, Zipp 300 carbon crank (53/39), Token Isis ceramic Bottom bracket, Sram Red shifters, cassette (11/23), and derailleurs. Ritchey carbon stem and Ritchey carbon logic II handlebar, Selle Italia Kit Cabonio Flow saddle, Look Keo Carbon pedals, KCNC brakes, Yokozuna cables and a Forte carbon bottle cage. Total weight (With Pedals) is 13.98 lbs!!!

This bike is fast on the flats because it is aero yet climbs awesomely because of its stiffness and light weight. It also is fairly comfortable (have done two Centuries on it), handles better than my road bike and is sweet looking. I get alot of compliments and questions on it and have not looked back on the decision for a moment.

The key is if you fit the bike. Like I said at the beginning, I found the traditional geometry of a road bike not right for me, even with a zero setback seatpost. TT bike geometry fit me better.
    Last edited by jrz1; 06-11-2010 at 05:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Jrzr1

Do u have any pic of it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    http://yfrog.com/mg1001966j

Here it is in all its glory!! I love this bike.

http://yfrog.com/mu1001962j
    Last edited by jrz1; 06-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    now see that dont look like a TT frame and fork that what i would like to do that looks SHARP
    congrats

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    now see that dont look like a TT frame and fork that what i would like to do that looks SHARP
    congrats
    Just another thing to keep in mind with a TT frame.. Most TT frames have a short headtube. That means, unless you use a bunch of spacers, your handle bars will be low compared to the saddle. This is not comfortable unless you are very flexible...

If you have to add a bunch of spacers to get the handle bars up to a comfortable height, the cool look you want quickly disappears...

To be clear, I'm not trying to talk you out of this frame...Go for it but be aware of some fit issues that might effect the cool looking you are seeking....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    if you like a TT frame, why not set it up as a time trial bike? You'll lose most of the aero benefit with standard bars and aero bars still give you an upright option. Lots of ironman racers spend 20+ hours a week on that setup...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I didn't want a time trial bike. I went into my dream bike project wanting an aero road bike. I looked at Cervelo's Soloist, Ridley's Noah, and the Kestrel Talon series before falling in love with the Crono and coming across a deal too good to believe. The Crono frame normally sells for over $3500, a complete bike for $5500 or more. I came across a brand new 2008 Crono complete bike that a dealer was selling on ebay for $3,100. I bought it and sold all the dura ace gruppo parts, the wheels, and the tri bars cockpit on ebay and ended up with the Crono frame for only $700!! That began my project.

I don't do triathlons or time trials but I know Guru's carbon road frame, the Geneo, is an awesome road bike that has gotten great reviews. The Crono is very similiar in shape to the Geneo but even more aero and with the steeper seat tube angle. I gambled that it would have the same stiff, sure handling attributes as the Geneo.

Because it is not as radically shaped as some TT bikes the Crono actually has proven to be a great road bike. Handling, sprinting, climbing, it does all of these as well as any road bike I have either owned or ridden. It is not as comfortable as some road bikes, but easily on par with a Soloist or Noah. As mentioned earlier I have ridden it on two century rides since November when I completed the build.

As you can see from the pictures I previously posted, the headtube is not overly short but I do have a fair amount of spacers to raise the bars a bit. Not an excessive amount.

Over-all I am very happy with the Crono as a ROAD bike. I don't think you could do this with all or even most TT bikes, but the less radical ones I think it can work with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Ok i really like the Time trial frame.
    i like the designs of them but i would like to buy one and set it up as a normal road bike with out the Areo bars (curved bars) and such items
    i only ride about 10 to 25 mile. Would the geometry be find if i was to but one from the Ebay seller
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Full-C...item3f00721f57

does anyone have photos of one set up how i am asking place post them thanks
    The basic difference of a TT frame from a road frame is that it has a steeper seat tube angle to allow you to go lower w/o overstraining your lower back and your hamstrings. If you have an inflexible lower back or very short legs, this is not necessarily a bad setup. I have a custom frame built with a TT type geometry that allows me to ride low for a long time in a low position. On my regular road bike I have the saddle set fairly far forward and sit towards the front, but I can stay on my drops for a long time very comfortably too.

I personally think that steeper seat tubes are very reasonable for road bikes especially for average Joes that don't have the flexibility of a pro cyclist. So, to answer your question, if the frame fits it will ride fine and will allow you to ride in a lower position w/o discomfort.

So, go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm planning to do the same thing.

Hey jimlmackjr,

I've been racing the track version of that frame. It rides very nice. The road version has
    a slightly steeper seat tube angle, but I think I'll be able to get a similar position. Here's
    pic of my track bike. Let me know how your bike works out, and I'll do the same.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TT frame set up as a  Roadbike-trackframe2.jpg