Formosan Cyclocross

Two New Bikes in One Week: This Will Never Happen Again

The stars somehow aligned during the Super Moon, creating a brief opening in the Earth's Reality Field allowing the two dimensions to collide and cross over...

This strange and rare event resulted in the unlikeliest event.

Me... a married man... was able to become the owner of two great new bikes within the course of a few days.

This will never happen again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two New Bikes in One Week: This Will Never Happen Again-seven1.jpg   Two New Bikes in One Week: This Will Never Happen Again-salsa.jpg  

Formosan Cyclocross
    Oh! I forgot the punchline.

I am suffering from an overuse injury so any riding for more than an hour and my knee starts to hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure whether to say "luckyyyyyyyyyy" or "damn, I'm sorry (timing of the injury)".

Is not a clown car
    got to fill us in on the importer story! did they come through for you, or did the parent company come through?
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats! You have 2 very nice bikes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unclefuzzy_ss
    got to fill us in on the importer story! did they come through for you, or did the parent company come through?
    This

and niiiiiice taste, sure Seven might not have the cachet of a smaller builder, but custom is custom and that's a sharp looking bike. The orange one is just cool (except for the reflectors, but you probably have those on for a reason). I can't make out what it is. Salsa Vaya?

your text here
    i think those were supposed to go to me.

cant believe you got the salsa "back." noice!
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice ... enjoy!
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

Formosan Cyclocross
    The distributor's secretary called my wife with the only purpose to hurl insults at her. She spent ten minutes insulting us, threatening us, and complaining about her increased workload we had given her.

Bike Company (obvious from above) came through and I would recommend them to anyone.

http://taiwanincycles.blogspot.com/2...a-disc-la.html

I would love to see them and their parent company pull their products from the distributor, but the distributor may also be connected to the manufacturer, so doubtful.

With the Seven I wasn't so concerned about cachet, but rather the awesomest custom titanium bike I could get... and in six weeks. PERFECT bike! The Salsa La Cruz is another fantastic bike. I have so many plans.

The leg is healing and was out for a while today. Got to enjoy some climbs and descents. When the pain comes on... I just get of the bike and stretch. It goes away and I can continue.

Thanks guys!

Formosan Cyclocross
    I thought I would take pictures of the La Cruz as is before switching parts. I did take the dork disc off. The Seven is waiting for Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels to arrive.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan
    I thought I would take pictures of the La Cruz as is before switching parts. I did take the dork disc off. The Seven is waiting for Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels to arrive.
    Great choice of Campag on the Seven, looks really awesome!

What tires are you going to put on the Fulcrum Racing 1?

I read your thorough and passionate blog post on the Salsa, clearly you really loved your frame and I am sure you will love your replacement frame too. But Sevens are really nice and I especially like the people who work there; I am fortunate to live near them. Even if my heart belongs to Cyfac, both companies are run by people who really love what they do and my ownership experience of Cyfac really show that. I'm sure Seven will treat you right, too.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Thanks for reading.

I'll do Conti 4000GP. I have a set of the 25c versions for the La Cruz and love them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice!

You have to hold this over us...build specs on them?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    They are both beautiful bikes but I would kill for that Salsa........
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    They are both beautiful bikes but I would kill for that Salsa........
    You could get a Voodoo Nakisi and have it powdercoated orange...

Just Plain Bitter
    That Salsa is SWEEEET! Have been looking at that and the Kona Honky Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think that Seven has more "cachet" than most smaller builders. Seven, Serotta, Moots- the top three larger Ti builders IMHO. Eriksen, Strong, Holland and Davidson make some of the nicest Ti I have ever seen. But I think Seven, with their hourglass stays are a thing of beauty.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

evs
    RoadBikeReview Member

Touche

wow that is just awesome. The final outcome was great even though your wife had to go through that horrible stuff. When peopl act like that, I do believe it will come back to haunt them. You may not know about it, but fate has a way of working it out. So Dajianshan, which one is your favorite? HAHA, to even have to choice is a dream most of us wish we could do. I saw your post in the Seven manufactures forum and those are some sweet pics. Enjoy....
    Last edited by evs; 03-22-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    'Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, Boldly Ride,' The Shade replied, - 'If you Seek for El Dorado!'

Formosan Cyclocross
    I guess I owe you all a breakdown at this point:

It has been a horrendous year of fits and starts with my training and for about a year or so I had been dropping hints to my wife about why a custom titanium bike at this stage would be better than a washing machine or a baby. You know, slipping the NAHBS catalogue into her copy of ELLE magazine...bringing up the finer points of fit, function, reliability and the subjectivities of value. I got her riding a beautiful Colnago road bike so she could understand the importance of a bike that fits. She always said I could go custom and I was hoping to go another year or so on my old bike.

Then I noticed a crack in the head tube.

The distributor, Leeche International Sports Co,. Ltd. basically told me to go to hell. I didn't want to wait for a lengthy fight to get a frame that really doesn't fit my riding style and my plan for a good year of racing and long rides. So, with my wife's support, I shopped around and liked Seven's experience, range of tubing options, reputation for quality, continuity, and the beautiful look of the bikes. Lots of things to like and being in Taiwan, I could go from fit to frame in 4 weeks and resume training.

Then the tide changed in the frame replacement story.

Salsa really stepped up to bat for me and started negotiating with Leeche over replacing my frame.

Leeche, in a huff, relented and then *****ed and moaned over replacing my frame. They had a couple 51cm La Cruz complete bike kits leftover from 2009 and I figured that would be ok for me. I always liked the La Cruz when it was in production. It is about a centimeter too big, but I can work with it.

My wife then got a very abusive phone call from Mandy at Leeche about how difficult we were being and so we decided to do whatever it took to just get the bike.

I finally got the bike.

Specs:

Frame: Seven Axiom SL
    Fork: Seven 5E
    Group: Campagnolo Chorus 11 (53/39 to 12-27)
    Headset: Chris King (Silver)
    Bars: Deda Newton
    Bartape: Fitzik (White)
    Stem: Deda 90mm
    Seatpost: Selcof ti
    Saddle: Fitzik Arione (White)
    Wheelset: Fulcrum Racing 1
    Tires: Continental 4000GP 23/25c

Pics:http://taiwanincycles.blogspot.com/2...tiful-new.html

(Pending Changes Indicated)
    Frame: Salsa La Cruz (True Temper OX Platinum)
    Fork: Salsa True Temper OX Platinum
    Group: Shimano 105 -> Ultegra 6600 (50/34 to 12-27)
    Headset: Cane Creek -> Chris King
    Bars: Salsa Moto Ace Bell Lap -> Deda Newton
    Stem: ? --> Something Smaller
    Seatpost: Salsa ?
    Saddle: WTB --> Selle Italia Flite Gel
    Rims: Salsa Delgado 29er Race --> DT Swiss1.1 / 1.2
    Hubs: Shimano XT --> Chris King ISO Disc
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc
    Tires: Continental 4000GP 25c / Panaracer Cross Blaster / Others

These are very different bikes for different purposes. The Seven is, by far, the bike that fits me and my riding the best. It has snap and stiffness like an aluminum frame, but without the sting. very balanced. I get unexpected smiles when cornering and descending.
    I love the Chorus as well. I was unsure about it with all that carbon, but after modeling it on the bike I was all for it.

The Salsa rides like my friend's old 1972 Lincoln Towncar. It is long and steady. The steering is very sure. It is plush. I ride pretty high on it. There is almost a feeling of being in a big truck. Stable and really a cool ride for cruising around. I took it out last night with my wife and just enjoyed the smooooooooooooth, easy qualities that bike has in spades.

I have really liked both the Axiom and La Cruz from the first time I read anything about them, so I am happy/lucky to have both. From my dumb man perspective: The Seven is like the girl you just meet and feel like you've known your entire life so can skip the decorum. The Salsa is like the girl you meet who is attractive because she is so different from your usual type.

Seeing as the Seven is a Seven... I wanted it to look a little more modest. Classy. And in my book, Salsa and loud orange were made for each other. The Salsa gets all the looks and double takes... and that is fine by me.

So... I am a happy man. But with my knee injury I feel a little like Tantalus.... The fates can be so cruel.
    Last edited by Dajianshan; 03-21-2011 at 10:45 PM.