RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Upgrading from a cross bike. Look at endurance bikes?

Been riding for a year on an old Cross bike. Weighs in at 25lbs. I think it's time to upgrade to a real road bike.

I'm looking at endurance frames for comfort. Some of the roads I ride are quite cracked so I'm looking at a Trek Domane.

Climbing is my nemesis. For example a 4% grade over 1.8 miles my average speed is 10mph. On strava it seems like other guys are pushing 14mph.

My budget is $2k though the lower the better as I'd like to buy a nicer wheelset. I'm not opposed to used either. I think I want to stick with disc because you can fit larger tires. I currently ride 37-622 which is 35c tires. That's about as small as I want to go. 23 and even 28c tires seem to produce a jarring ride.

Or perhaps I should upgrade my cross bike instead to make it faster? I probably won't get the comfort but if I can hang with other riders and not get smoked then it might make the ride more enjoyable. I'm sure I could probably drop a pound by going with a better wheelset. Current ones use a disc hub with a rim brake rim and some City Ride 2 tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfat View Post
    Been riding for a year on an old Cross bike. Weighs in at 25lbs. I think it's time to upgrade to a real road bike.

I'm looking at endurance frames for comfort. Some of the roads I ride are quite cracked so I'm looking at a Trek Domane.

Climbing is my nemesis. For example a 4% grade over 1.8 miles my average speed is 10mph. On strava it seems like other guys are pushing 14mph.

My budget is $2k though the lower the better as I'd like to buy a nicer wheelset. I'm not opposed to used either. I think I want to stick with disc because you can fit larger tires. I currently ride 37-622 which is 35c tires. That's about as small as I want to go. 23 and even 28c tires seem to produce a jarring ride.

Or perhaps I should upgrade my cross bike instead to make it faster? I probably won't get the comfort but if I can hang with other riders and not get smoked then it might make the ride more enjoyable. I'm sure I could probably drop a pound by going with a better wheelset. Current ones use a disc hub with a rim brake rim and some City Ride 2 tires.
    If you could shave 10 lbs off the bike, your climbing speed would increase about 1 mph. If you want to get to 14 mph, you need a bigger motor or to lose 40 lbs from the bike and body while keeping power output constant.

It is possible to use brakes other than discs that allow wide tires.