RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Weight of 2000 Schwinn Peloton Frame

So I found tons of reviews of this frame, but nothing about the actual frame weight. I'm trying to decide between this frame & a new Gunnar Roadie frame which weighs in at 3.5lbs, but is significantly more expensive. Just curious if the 853 Schwinn frame is even close to the Gunnar weight wise. Thanks, Mike

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    if the schwinn is a 54 or larger then it's closer to 4lbs. i'm assuming your looking at a NOS bike with a steel straight fork? you might consider a Salsa LaRaza also, in the same price range as the Gunnar. My personnel feeling is even if the frame you want is over 4lbs but at least 853 or similar (double butted tubes) you won't notice the weight. you'll be too busy enjoying the ride. Had a fondreist x-status (16.5 main tubes) 2 sizes too big, rode it for a season, it was sweet.

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    per the weightweenies listings, a 1998 Peloton 58CM frame weighed 1968 grams or 4.33 pounds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Is that 3.5 lb Gunnar weight a actual weight that you performed yourself or from the company?Often the weights listed are for the smallest size frames or in the case of Gunnar they say 3.6 lbs "estimated" for a 56 cm Roadie.I have learned not to trust the frame weights listed by manufacturers and have found them to be biased toward lightness.I have found this bias by weighing frames before build-up on a accurate scale.The fudged weights are usually in the range of .25-.5 lbs.This amount of weight in a steel frame is not very important but if you are paying hundreds of dollars to save half a pound on a frame you should know exactly what weight the frame is in your size.Unfortunately these exact weights by size are not always available unless a site like Weight Weenies lists them.You would probably be perfectly happy with the Taiwan built steel Peloton 853 and to save the extra .5 lbs of weight you will have to pay at least double the cost for a Gunnar or similar US built steel frame with tubing of the same diameters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Yeah, agreed. Most manufacturers lie about weight (especially backpacking equipment).
    They are estimating 3.6 for the 56, but I'm getting the 52, so it should be close to their estimated weight for the 56 at least. Other reasons I am considering the Gunnar is I can get pro form price & it also has the semi-compact geometry which I like.