RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Thumbs down Is the weld separating / cracking on my litespeed frame?!!!? (see pic)

Hi I have a litespeed titanium frame and was wondering this is cracking by the welds. I believe it is but I'm not experienced in this stuff. It looks like the weld is a bit raised in comparison to the other side on one end and possible very small cracking near it all around...I'm not 100% positive but believe this is where a possible creak is coming from which I thought I eliminated but decided to do a really thorough check of everything and found this. I found this hard to spot but getting a close up shot with the camera makes it seem real obvious I guess:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Kind of hard to judge without knowing the frame.

If it’s seperating, it should visually open when you stress the frame in a direction stressing the weld.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Kind of hard to judge without knowing the frame.

If it’s seperating, it should visually open when you stress the frame in a direction stressing the weld.
    What about the little tiny looking cracks around the weld. I don't see that on any of the other welds around the frame.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I'd need to look under at lest 10x power to give you any opinion.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Email some detailed photos to Litespeed and ask them.

Can you catch an edge in the area that looks like a crack?

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    I think you’re looking at a shitty weld. The cracks I’ve seen in titanium weren’t at the welds like in your pics, they were across the welds and often around the circumference of the tube.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would go to a reputable bike shop (one that doesn't just want to sell you another bike) and have them check it out. That is preferable to getting advice on the internet from people like us who have nothing to base our findings on other than a photo. Seriously.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Email some detailed photos to Litespeed and ask them.

Can you catch an edge in the area that looks like a crack?
    This.

Use a dental pick to try and catch an edge.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piec...set-93514.html
    Too old to ride plastic

Road Warrior
    It appears to be lack of fusion as the top layer of weld did not bond to the bottom side. From the pictures it appears that there is a root or under layer of weld. If you have no warrranty, Find a great weld shop that welds exotics (like titanium) and have the weld repaired, should not cost more than a couple hundred but stress to them the importance of heat control to prevent distortion of your frame.

By the way,, good shops have dye penetrant kits and will check for cracks before and after the repair weld.. I would ask to see the final check..
    Last edited by n2deep; 07-22-2018 at 07:00 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It doesn't look like cracking to me. Looks like the edge of the weld doesn't have penetration.
    The rest of the weld could be perfectly fine (most likely the case). Or it could indicate a poor weld and potential future issue (but I doubt it).

There's no way to further diagnose that weld from a photo. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about riding that.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The only way a crack would develop there would be if the frame saw movement there.

Paint the area with some colored fingernail polish and go for a ride or two. If the fingernail polish develops cracks then yes, your frame is cracked.

Obviously, you can remove the fingernail polish at any time.

Russian Troll Farmer
    A good reason for ground welds. A crack will be obvious, as well a a crappy penetration.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    With the quality of the photo, who knows?
    Don't put the crack in a shadow, or is that a shadow?
    I'll bet it's a shadow.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I would go to a reputable bike shop (one that doesn't just want to sell you another bike) and have them check it out. That is preferable to getting advice on the internet from people like us who have nothing to base our findings on other than a photo. Seriously.
    +1....

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What exactly will a reputable bike shop do? I doubt they have weld experts there. Or can do xray or dye penetrant examination.
    They're just going to refer him to the manufacturer. Especially if he didn't buy it there.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What exactly will a reputable bike shop do? I doubt they have weld experts there. Or can do xray or dye penetrant examination.
    They're just going to refer him to the manufacturer. Especially if he didn't buy it there.
    They will let him know whether they think it's an issue or not. That's it. My point is in-person advice by an expert is far better than advice from anonymous people on the internet who have nothing to go by other than photos.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    In all my times going to bike shops, I've never met a metallurgy expert, or a welding expert.

The majority of the employees are high school and college aged kids who I wouldn't trust with assessing a damaged bike frame.

There are non-destructive techniques that can be used to assess the integrity of that weld, but you will probably have to take it to a business that deals with that sort of thing (aircraft/airframe maintenance shops come to mind).

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    In all my times going to bike shops, I've never met a metallurgy expert, or a welding expert.

The majority of the employees are high school and college aged kids who I wouldn't trust with assessing a damaged bike frame.
    Me either.

Heck, I design welded structures for a living. And we've got some pretty darn good welders. Infinitely more knowledge than you'd ever find in a bike shop.
    But none of us could just look at that weld and tell you much other than "there's no way to tell by looking at it".