Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

welded Reynolds 631 Vs. lugged Tange Prestige

15K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  vladvm 
#1 ·
I just picked up a used 1993 Novara frame made from lugged Tange Prestige tubing. It was a good enough price and it is hard to find used frames/bikes in my size, 50cm. I have most of the parts I need to build it but I am still shopping for a few such as a wheelset. Today I see a used 2002 Jamis Quest for sale with a Reynalds 631 frame in my size. The cost really isn’t a big deal. If I bought the Jamis I could sell all the parts I have. If I build up my frame it will all cost about the same as the Jamis.
My big question is if the two frames are much different in quality or if one steel is better then the other. Is one considered inherently better than the other or are they essentially identical? I know it is a strange question, but any opinions would be welcome.

#27 ·
raymonda said:
It would be nice to know who actually made the frame.......Panasonic? It looks great and just my size. Let me know if you want to move it. A new paint job would and a custom decal job would go a long way in making this frame a real gem. Not that it is not one already.

BTW, that bike was not made with Prestige tubing, err, Prestige yes, but it was actually made from "Presitge Ultimate"....an even more refined tube set. Lighter and thinner tubed than the already very nice Prestige tube set. It should work out perfectly on a 50cm size frame. You got yourself a very nice frame. Try buying that new today and it would cost you some long green.......not that anyone would pay long green for your frame......but it is worth it.
thanks for the info. if i deside to let it go i will let you know. I was actually thinking about getting it powder coated. But i removed two little stickers one on the head tube and one on the top of the seat tube. they both had white letters and yellow back ground.
getting rid of just that little bit of yellow helped balance it all out. the bike is now simple blue with white letters and looks much cleaner. i am tinking i might just leave it as is for now. the plan is to buildit up with Ultegra 6500 stuff that i have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.