Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Following that logic why not use, say, 39x17, and be forced to go even faster? Heck, use 53x11 and be forced to just fly up hills.
    Because I'm not strong enough to keep those gears going on the steepest hills I ride, not even in a full sprint. I could keep the 23 going at a decent cadence on the 20% max hills I ride by doing a full sprint. Now I use the 25 on those hills and put out less effort (say 90-95% instead of 100%). I give up 2mph on the hills but then I'm fresher immediately following them which is probably a net gain. It's hard to get yourself to push that hard when the option exists to take it a little easier. My guess is that's why I haven't matched or beaten my old KOMs on a couple of those steep hills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    46/30 11-32 has opened up the joy in life for me. The 46 is like a single, and you only need the 30 on gradients of 4 degrees and above. More importantly, I now can genuinely "bail out" on a difficult climb. With my arrhythmia, I can enjoy cycling in Pittsburgh without having to stick to boring trails.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Because I'm not strong enough to keep those gears going on the steepest hills I ride, not even in a full sprint. I could keep the 23 going at a decent cadence on the 20% max hills I ride by doing a full sprint. Now I use the 25 on those hills and put out less effort (say 90-95% instead of 100%). I give up 2mph on the hills but then I'm fresher immediately following them which is probably a net gain. It's hard to get yourself to push that hard when the option exists to take it a little easier. My guess is that's why I haven't matched or beaten my old KOMs on a couple of those steep hills.
    Forty-three nineteen. my gear lever feels like a scab on a wound. During our reconnaissance ride I was using a forty-three twenty here. Now I'm sticking to the nineteen, a matter of willpower. Krabbe's twenty was still clean as a whistle.

"The Rider"
    Tim Krabbe
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnice View Post
    46/30 11-32 has opened up the joy in life for me. The 46 is like a single, and you only need the 30 on gradients of 4 degrees and above. More importantly, I now can genuinely "bail out" on a difficult climb. With my arrhythmia, I can enjoy cycling in Pittsburgh without having to stick to boring trails.
    Exactly how I see it, my 46-30 is like a single with a granny.
    Too old to ride plastic

your god hates me
    Typical rides around here yield between 50 - 100' per mile of elevation. My three road bikes have
    - 34/25
    - 34/26
    - 34/28
    and my 'cross bike has
    - 32/32
    as their smallest gear combinations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm currently sporting 39/28 but I have the ability the change out the 39 to a 34 when needed making 34/28
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    34/50, with a new 11-40.
    That being said, after 10,000 feet of local climbing (here in the Tetons) I have yet to use the 34/40.
    I basically stick to the 50t outer, the second gear down is 35, so that is pretty low.
    Yes, I know about cross-chain wear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    34/36 and I'm happy to have it. Colorado and I ride it on pavement, dirt, wherever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    34/50, with a new 11-40.
    That being said, after 10,000 feet of local climbing (here in the Tetons) I have yet to use the 34/40.
    I basically stick to the 50t outer, the second gear down is 35, so that is pretty low.
    On my 11-40 I occasionally for short periods or "sections" will ride the 50/35. My front derailleur talks softly but clearly to me when I do it and will only shut up if I drop down to the 50/31.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    On my 11-40 I occasionally for short periods or "sections" will ride the 50/35. My front derailleur talks softly but clearly to me when I do it and will only shut up if I drop down to the 50/31.
    Me too...but I rode with headphones, so I just imagined the godawful racket.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    So, I confess...I got into the 34/40 once today...for about ten yards.
    I didn't remotely need it, but it was awfully nice.
    Kinda like the cooled seats in my Silverado.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So, I confess...I got into the 34/40 once today...for about ten yards.
    I didn't remotely need it, but it was awfully nice.
    Kinda like the cooled seats in my Silverado.
    I love the AC seats in my Silverado, but the heated steering wheel is the cat's meow!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

coaster
    This seems an apt analogy, as in my mind the civilizing of the American pickup truck is akin to the softening of the drop bar bicycle. I guess it's appropriate that my truck has no AC and cost $2000 fifteen years ago since my road bike requires me to stand at the mere sight of an incline.

Manly man out....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    This seems an apt analogy, as in my mind the civilizing of the American pickup truck is akin to the softening of the drop bar bicycle. I guess it's appropriate that my truck has no AC and cost $2000 fifteen years ago since my road bike requires me to stand at the mere sight of an incline.

Manly man out....
    I remember, about 25yrs ago, *****ing at a couple of "old guys" I worked with about their fancy pick ups and the demise of affordable work trucks. Now I see crew cab PU's all over the place with enough cab space for 4 or 5 adults, but not enough bed space to carry enough gear for all of them.

Progress, I guess.
    Last edited by velodog; 09-21-2018 at 05:13 AM.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    shhh... he loves his '16', don't tell him it is a '17' with a compact.
    Nah, the gap between the 17 and 15 is too big, no matter what chain ring you're in. Air resistance at speed requires one tooth gaps on the cogs smaller than the 17. That 16 is essential.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Another 50/34 with 11-40. It's on a gravel bike of sorts, but it's completely replaced my traditional go-fast road bike.

I don't need 34/40, but it makes some of the local 15% grade over 3 mile climbs around here fun (or tolerable when i'm 5 hours in), which is super sweet cuz there's no traffic and great scenery on roads like that. It's also a nice gear for climbing up singletrack and fire roads, or riding with my dad.

The real surprise for me was that it's the first compact double that i like more than a triple. With other compact doubles it felt like i'm constantly hopping up and down the front chainrings, along with a shift to the rear to keep the gearing tight. With the wuss cassette i can stay in the 50 until i have to settle in to a long slog.

Fredrico above complains about the sloppy ratios, but it hasn't bothered me at all. I don't ride much flat terrain in a paceline, but even then, i stick with a gear until it's outside my cadence happy place, and the wider ratios suit me better. Also 50-17 is pretty slow...?

...over all, i think that if your gearing is keeping you off some climbs because they're 'too steep,' or you have rolling terrain where you can't sprint the climbs in the big ring... the wide ratio cassette is more advantages than disadvantages.

Cool thread, it's interesting to see perspectives from dedicated riders in other places with different fitness and priorities.
    Last edited by bubble; 09-20-2018 at 11:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    ...over all, i think that if your gearing is keeping you off some climbs because they're 'too steep,' or you have rolling terrain where you can't sprint the climbs in the big ring... the wide ratio cassette is more advantages than disadvantages.
    A fact of life in 42-23 for 38 years and only getting worse. Almost died the other day slogging up terrible mile on the boulevard at 5 mph. It hurt like hell. It always hurt like hell. The legs came through. But now its getting ridiculous. I'm going up the steeper climbs at 40-50 rpm, way too slow. 34-28 would be so welcomed on the 7 or 8 steep rises coming out of street underpasses on the W&OD in Arlington. Those things are brutal. No staying on top of 42-23 on those. I just attack for all I'm worth and hope I make it every time. The 43-28 on the commuter is so much easier, and its a heavier bike.

Gonna have to compromise period correct with a long cage derailleur and 13-28 freewheel on the DeRosa. I'll live with it as the one concession to old age.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    A fact of life in 42-23 for 38 years and only getting worse. Almost died the other day slogging up terrible mile on the boulevard at 5 mph. It hurt like hell. It always hurt like hell. The legs came through. But now its getting ridiculous. I'm going up the steeper climbs at 40-50 rpm, way too slow. 34-28 would be so welcomed on the 7 or 8 steep rises coming out of street underpasses on the W&OD in Arlington. Those things are brutal. No staying on top of 42-23 on those. I just attack for all I'm worth and hope I make it every time. The 43-28 on the commuter is so much easier, and its a heavier bike.

Gonna have to compromise period correct with a long cage derailleur and 13-28 freewheel on the DeRosa. I'll live with it as the one concession to old age.
    Ahaa!! So you're finally going to swallow your pride and get better climbing gearing. Don't feel bad, Fred. Soon you'll be using a 34-32 like the rest of us!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post

This should not look out of place on the DeRosa.

https://store.interlocracing.com/irdd.html
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Egg zakly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    lowest is now a 34-42! Yes the 42 is on the back. lol, don't knock it till you've ridden here. I like to spin these 16-20% climbs. In the 80s,90s back in the midwest my lowest was always a 42-21, which was plenty low enough there.

34-32 is pretty common here, not 34-42. but I will not walk a hill on my cleats
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 09-22-2018 at 01:46 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    lowest is now a 34-42! Yes the 42 is on the back. lol, don't knock it till you've ridden here. I like to spin these 6-20% climbs. In the 80s,90s back in the midwest my lowest was always a 42-21, which was plenty low enough there.

34-32 is pretty common here, not 34-42. but I will not walk a hill on my cleats
    Hmmm, I'm not sure I could balance the bike with a 34-42 for any length of time. How many mph/kmph is that?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    lowest is now a 34-42! Yes the 42 is on the back. lol, don't knock it till you've ridden here. I like to spin these 6-20% climbs.
    Spin on a 20 percent grade? How long is the segment that's 20 percent? I don't doubt you, just curious what is the cadence that you label spinning on that grade? ;)

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure I could balance the bike with a 34-42 for any length of time. How many mph/kmph is that?
    At a 90 cadence, with 700x25c tires... A 0.8 ratio for 9.2kph

RoadBikeReview Member
    34/50, with a new 11-40.
    A little bit of trivia... Pro Rider German Tony Martin's favorite gear combo is a 58 front matched to the 32t cassette gear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast