pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

What is Colnago DT-15V steel tubes

I know there's some steel tube experts here. I bought a Colnago Arabesque. It's basically a Master with fancy lug work. Made out of DT-15V which they've been using for many years. Does this stuff resemble Columbus SL? I know Columbus used to make it for Colnago but doesn't anymore. I've got a 1996 Eddy Merckx Corsa made out of Deda zerouno tubes. The Deda tubeset seems a little more sophisticated.
    Last edited by pmf; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    FWIW, I had a Colnago Super, made with SL, that would flex so much when climbing/sprinting, my downtube shifters would shift on their own...w/me at about 165lbs. A decade later, my Master, circa '97/'98, doesn't have anywhere near the flex w/me at 190lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I know there's some steel tube experts here. I bought a Colnago Arabesque. It's basically a Master with fancy lug work. Made out of DT-15V which they've been using for many years. Does this stuff resemble Columbus SL? I know Columbus used to make it for Colnago but doesn't anymore. I've got a 1996 Eddy Merckx Corsa made out of Deda zerouno tubes. The Deda tubeset seems a little more sophisticated.
    My understanding was that the Master was originally made in conjunction with Columbus using a Colnago proprietary shaped Nivacrom tubing. When Columbus stopped making it, Colnago bought the equipment that did the shaping and produced it themselves. If its Nivacrom, that is higher up the food chain than the Cyclex than SL is made from. The difference is yield strength which allows a lighter tubeset. There are a few threads on this here at RBR. I own a Master and a few other steel bikes. Personally I don't get all spun up on the type of tubing. I like my Master but I wonder it the Gilco tubing is just a gimmick or if it really affects ride quality

RoadBikeReview Member
    I own 5 steel Colnagos, and I prefer the ride of my Nuovo Mexico and Crystal over my Master. The Master feels like a tank compared to the others (I also have a Tecnos and a Superissimo) but it's an absolute joy to bomb down descents with.

(I also have a Merckx Corsa Extra but would take any of the Colnagos over the Merckx, it is currently spending its days stripped and tucked away in a cupboard anyway.)

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I like the Merckx. It's not an SLX frame like most of the Corsa Extras were. The down tube is ovalized near the bottom bracket and the chain stays are wide/oval. The Arabesque's tubes are very thin in comparison. It looks really old school.

I've always felt that the Gilco tubing is a gimmick. I've got a C-40 I ride quite a bit. The carbon tubes are Gilco-ized.