RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

What is my bike worth?

Hi all,
    I recently upgraded to a carbon bike (Specialized Roubaix) and now I'm trying to sell my old steel bike. I was thinking about selling it on eBay or Craigslist but my housemate is interested in buying it because he wants to get into cycling. I want to recuperate as much of the cost of buying a new bike by selling this bike. But at the same time I don't want to rip off my housemate. So I wanted to ask what everyone, what is my old bike worth?

It's a Univega Modo Volare from 1995 or 1996. Columbus Thron, TIG welded frame with a steel fork. It has Campy components but I can't tell what model it was because they didn't put the model on the components back then. The 2001 model came with Campy Daytonas so I'm guessing they were at least on par with those. However, the shifters aren't brake shifters. They're friction shifters on the stem (better than downtube, I guess).

Wheels are Ambrose Elite. Pretty heavy. I think these are the original wheels. I put new tires on it which have never gave me a flat. I put a new saddle on it, Selle Italia SL, which cost me $90 from the store. I probably put over 1000 miles on this bike when I got it in college in 2008. The condition is definitely used, however, I maintained it myself and tuned it up a couple times in the shop with a few paint chips here and there. Overall, it still looks pretty nice especially with the red and black paint job.

There's a page on Bikepedia for a newer 2001 Univega Modo Volare model which says it went for $1300 back then.

I also found a guy trying to sell the same bike on eBay for $850 for Buy It Now. Then again, it's been listed for a while now and it has newer components etc.

If I were to estimate the value, I would guess around $300-350. Judging from eBay, a lot of steel bikes are going for around there and they're usually in a lot worse condition from the 1980s (or older). Then again, my bike isn't really "vintage" with steel lugs or anything nor a Miyata, Schwinn or Centurion. But Univega was a reputable Japanese brand. It being from the mid-90s would make it worth more or less than steel bikes from the '80s?

So what do you all think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Post some pics, that would be helpful.. The campy components are likely Victory or Triumph. In this situation, DT shifters are better than on the stem. How many speeds? Cassette or freewheel? The age makes spare parts difficult to come by.

From what you describe, 300-350 sounds reasonable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I will post up photos once I get home, since I'm at work right now. It's a 14 speed. Double in the front 53/39 and 7 speeds in the rear. I don't know the teeth sizing in the back. I believe it's a freehub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You sure '95/'96? I thought that was around the time Campy came out with Ergoshifters. Also, I've never seen Victory with stem shifters. I had a late 80's Bianchi with Victory at one time and it was a 6 speed rear with downtube shifters. Maybe they switched it later?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011

More photos

Here's a link to craigslist 1996 Univega Modo Volare Road Bike Campagnolo 52cm

More Photos: 1996 Univega Modo Volare - a set on Flickr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is my bike worth?-img_4280.jpg   What is my bike worth?-img_4269.jpg   What is my bike worth?-img_4286.jpg   What is my bike worth?-img_4274.jpg   What is my bike worth?-img_4277.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bike looks good. I think $300 would be a fair price for a roommate
    A while back I decided to ride a bike as often as possible. These are my observations from the saddle, one pedal stroke at a time, on my way to being a better cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $200-$250 is more like it. The bike is 15 years old, frame is welded, the components are not the best and they are old. also the shifters look cheap. but goodluck!
    every 3 seconds, a child dies of hunger. how much did you spend on your bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    What's a housemate?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    $300 at the most

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    That's a perfect rain/bad weather bike! I would keep it for local errands/beer run and the back up if disaster
    strikes with your new rig. Who wants a crappy old beater? That was my situation when I did the same thing couple years back.