RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

What is the Ti-Carbon Frame All About?

I saw one of these on the Firefly custom bike website. Is there anywhere to read up on these frames? Any benefits over a pure Ti frame? Any negatives? Besides price?

Google doesn't show much about them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I beleive back in ye oldie days, you got the stiffness and lightness of the carbon, plus the comfort of the ti...having full carbon frames wasn't so much of a thing and $$$$ plus expertise, so you had lots of carbon tubes joined to anything lugs (steel, aluminium, ti). Probably 1 parts gimiky, 1 parts marketing, to sell the uber expensive to the people that thought they wanted it, just like everything today still...

For e, even though I've never seen, let alone ridden one, to me it the coolest of the cool. If i was ever to go custom, it'd be a Ti/carbon, not because it's any better (maybe it is, maybe it isn't) just because I think it's awesome...but then my 2 fav bikes are the Raleigh Tomac and Nuke Proof Ti/Carbon...
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    I owned a Serotta Concourse CS, titanium with carbon seat stays, for several years. I can't really say there was anything either beneficial or negative about the carbon stays.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Just a marketing angle. Titanium is exotic, carbon fiber futuristic, so a bike made of both has to be futuristically exotic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    pretty much every Ti frame is a Ti carbon mix if you count the fork. Different builders have a different take but Ti make most sense in some spots and carbon in others. The one builder I asked about it said it,s done pretty much to satisfy weight weenies who want custom Ti bikes so they slip carbon in there it doesn't really matter to get the weight down.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I was thinking of that bike Serotta made that had titanium lugs and carbon tubes. Litespeed made some frames that had a carbon rear triangle. They claimed it was for comfort, but I bet there's also a significant cost savings in doing it.