RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

What type of bike should I buy for my second bike?

I bought my first “real” bike in 2011, a Trek 7.3FX Hybrid. I bought a big cushy seat for it and I had a ton of fun just tooling around all over the place. Looking around, exploring new neighborhoods, and just getting a different perspective of everything than when I’d just drive by in a car. I’d often jump on, wearing whatever clothes I was wearing, and sometimes ride 2-3 miles and other times I’d be out there riding for 20-30 miles. It was a blast, it reminded me of the fun I had on my bike as a kid.

Then I got a road bike. I promptly sold my hybrid and used the money to upgrade my wheels. Then came the clipless pedals and shoes, the racing saddle, the padded shorts, etc and it became about focusing on building my endurance, faster rides, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed all of it, and I have no intention of getting rid of my road bike...BUT I also miss the carefree leisurely rides in a big cushy saddle, wearing normal clothes and shoes, and taking in the views and just putting about. What’s the best type of bike for something like this? Maybe in the $1000-2000 price range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Last year I got a close out deal on a demo Specialized Diverge aluminum bike. It serves as my bad weather/winter/trail/around town bike. I have these pedals on it https://www.rei.com/product/668198/s...324-spd-pedals so I can wear bike shoes or regular shoes. Tires are a little wider than on my road bike. I find this style of bike to be comfortable and versatile for pretty much anything I want to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallement View Post
    Last year I got a close out deal on a demo Specialized Diverge aluminum bike. It serves as my bad weather/winter/trail/around town bike. I have these pedals on it https://www.rei.com/product/668198/s...324-spd-pedals so I can wear bike shoes or regular shoes. Tires are a little wider than on my road bike. I find this style of bike to be comfortable and versatile for pretty much anything I want to do.
    Hadn’t seen those double sided pedals before...just about perfect for my needs.

There are all these categories hat I think may fit my needs (gravel, comfort, hybrid, cruiser, etc.) Did you settle on the diverge based primarily on the deal you got or were you specifically looking for a gravel bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    If you are looking to see the sights and putter around town for 2-30 miles in regular clothes, AND you already have a road bike, then I'm not sure I see the need for an expensive 22-speed bike with disc brakes.

Why not just got a single-speed? I've got a specialized langster that I bought brand new for $600. I ride it fixie, but for $20 you could put a freewheel on it and ride it single speed and it seems to me it would meet all your above needs for very little money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would look for another hybrid. It might sounds silly, but you know it was comfortable and fun. Practicality is what a hybrid is best at, and it's less expensive than a lot of the other options. One of my neighbors has some really nice bikes in his house. He bought one of those Trek FX bikes for around $500. That's the bike he rides more than his road, gravel or CX bikes. He says that he can do almost everything on it. When I see the thousands of dollars in bikes in his house, it makes me shake my head, but reading your experience on your hybrid before you bought your road bike, I am starting to understand. Looking for another discipline? I have to agree with Fronesis: try single speed.
    Last edited by terbennett; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRandhawa View Post
    Hadn’t seen those double sided pedals before...just about perfect for my needs.

There are all these categories hat I think may fit my needs (gravel, comfort, hybrid, cruiser, etc.) Did you settle on the diverge based primarily on the deal you got or were you specifically looking for a gravel bike?
    While the great deal really helped the decision, it was because when I looked at all of the possible ways I would want to use a second bike, it ticked all the boxes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A gravel bike or another hybrid would probably suit you. It depends whether you want straight bars or drop bars. A year ago, I bought a Jamis Renegade Exploit gravel bike and love it:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeseries.html

It does have drop bars. If you are looking for a straight or riser bar bike, another hybrid would suit you well. The Cannondale Adventure series all have a light front shock:

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...1-6c506b276eb2
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein