Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Hey Drone5200, I recently purchased a 2017Domane SLR6. Was comparing with an Emonda also. Both were Ultegra with the Bontrager speed stop brakes. I also work at a Trek dealer P/T so I am able to ride all the bikes pretty much anytime. I am also partial to Treks. That being said I ride a 58cm Cervelo S5 for the Quick need for speed ride. Went with a 56cm Domane as the Geometry of the Domane is more stretched so that is what felt good to me.

First I want to say I love the Domane. It is a great distance bike. It is super comfy. It climbs great and is fast. What I have found is it does not feel quick like the S5 but it is fast. It is a slight bit "sluggish" or maybe slower steering I guess you would call it.(compared to the S5) It is like when you are riding in a land yacht and look down and you are doing 80 and had no idea. It was never intended to be like the S5 though. It eats up the road buzz and softens the bumps out. Mine has rim brakes and they have done fine for me. I was considering the disc but felt I was good with rim brakes. The disc does allow for wider tires but the 28 has been great for me. What it boiled down to for me was when I test rode them both I was impressed with the way the Domane could climb and the quality of the ride. Waited 2 weeks and found that the quality of the ride on the Domane was unforgettable and to me the Emonda was. I also found that I had to get used to her handling aspects and now that I know how she acts it is a much better feel. The way I see it is you have a "Go Fast" bike so why not go for some comfort. I was going to sell the S5 (who knew you could sell a bike) but now I have both riding needs covered. I know for me at 60 with a bad back it is a Godsend!

As far as the customizing goes I would probably do it myself also. The program trek offers is great if you cant find a color you can live with or you cant (or don't want to) wrench on a bike. I would find a bike closest to what I wanted in a color I can like and tweak it later as I felt like it.

The Domane was close enough to the Emonda that I really wanted to have the comfort it offered and thought about the ride it gave for 2 weeks so in my mind that was what sold me in the end. You may want to try the Domane in a 60 if you can find one. Trek is also having a sale now. Something to consider.
    Good Luck with your decision!
    Thanks, Fishboy, for this thoughtful and detailed feedback. Exactly the type of feedback I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    That is just so wrong. Watch near the end of the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM
    I'm a Clyde and my down hill mtb is Santa Cruz. We aren't comparing Apple to Apple here. SC isn't seeking the lightest frame. They make the lightest toughest frame they can. Preparing carbon frame for a road bike is certainly not the same as preparing a carbon frame for down hill mtb racing.

Just me but Trek and Santa Cruz are where my trust lies in the world of carbon. Especially Santa Cruz. They are no where near the giant Trek is and therefore more risk adverse. But their frames are damn stout and they do damn well with their lifetime warranty.

Trek is big enough they will go to the edge and deal with issues as they come up.

My take is all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123