Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

What's the big deal about lugged frames?

Over the years I have read or had people talk about lugged frames as if they were almost mystical, frames like C50 or Look 585. I'm just wondering what the big deal is, would I really wet myself with glee if I road one of those magical frames? Or is it just another case of hyperbole?
    Last edited by Cooper1960; 12-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper1960 View Post
    Over the years I have read or had people talk about lugged frames as if they were almost mystical, frames like C50 or Look 585. I'm just wondering what the big deal is, would I really wet myself with glee if I road one of those magical frames? Or is it just another case of hyperboil?
    hyper what?
    i think when most people talk about lugged frames they're talking about steel, not carbon. lugged carbon frames are pretty low tech when you consider the other methods being used.
    lugged steel frames can be pretty fancy, depending on the skill of the builder. google it and check out some images, you'll understand.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Actually, the Colnago lugged carbon frames can be made into custom sizes which not possible to do with a mold. I wouldn't call them low tech by any means.

I agree with your brifter opinion BTW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lugs look artistic that's why myself and others like them. But lugs have been found on older style carbon fiber bikes, usually aluminum sometimes titanium lugs were used. Merlin Cielo was a good example of a lugged CF frame and it looked fantastic...but rather pricey. Also lugs in themselves can be plain to very ornate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

Spokane, Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper1960 View Post
    Over the years I have read or had people talk about lugged frames as if they were almost mystical, frames like C50 or Look 585. I'm just wondering what the big deal is, would I really wet myself with glee if I road one of those magical frames? Or is it just another case of hyperboil?
    Hyperbole.

Folks like what they like. Lugs can strike one's fancy because of their 'artisanal' properties and how they can often enhance the looks of a bike.

Lugs don't make for a different ride. The method of joinery makes very little difference.

I have Tig'd, lugged, carbon and aluminum bikes. I like 'em all!
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    lugged carbon frames are pretty low tech when you consider the other methods being used.
    Oh really?
    Lugged carbon are some of the best carbon frames around. Pay attention around 2:00

Lugs on steel bikes are to hide welds and to allow steel builders to bling up their bikes so people will be interested in them and they can charge more.
    All you need is some steel tubing from Home Depot and a scroll saw to carve out some fancy curlicue lugs and ta da!! A frame you can get thousands for.
    Will you wet your pants on a lugged frame? Only if you have bladder control issues, but it certainly not hyperbole, unless it's on a steel frame.
    Last edited by maximum7; 12-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    Oh really?
    Lugged carbon are some of the best carbon frames around. Pay attention around 2:00

Lugs on steel bikes are to hide welds and to allow steel builders to bling up their bikes so people will be interested in them and they can charge more.
    All you need is some steel tubing from Home Depot and a scroll saw to carve out some fancy curlicue lugs and ta da!! A frame you can get thousands for.
    Will you wet your pants on a lugged frame? Only if you have bladder control issues, but it certainly not hyperbole, unless it's on a steel frame.
    oh yeah, because advertising HAS to be true, right? and if you're serious, your knowledge of lugged steel frames is pretty much non-existent.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Spokane, Washington

The above, my friends, is hyperbole, or as the OP said: "hyperboil".
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh really?

Dude, did you make this up or did some drunk in a tavern explain it to you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Dude, did you make this up or did some drunk in a tavern explain it to you?
    +1... Lugged steel frames are freaking beautiful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    OK, OK, I corrected my hyperboil comment to hyperbole but honestly think hyper "boil" is more appropriate, as in a bunch of exaggerated opinions boiling over the top! lol.

Seriously I can appreciate the ornate beauty and craftsmanship of some lugged frames and have owned both steel and aluminum lugged bikes, but never a lugged carbon frame. And obviously with a custom lugged frame you can fine tune all the tube lengths to fit your needs perfectly so it should ride like a dream.

My question was directed more toward ride quality of those mystic frames I mentioned, the C50 and the 585. I have heard both those bikes described as "best frame ever" because of the lugged construction. I have even found myself searching for a good 585 to build up even though I have never ridden that frame, just because I bought into the hyper"boil" and feel I need one.

Thanks for the comments.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

Man, I'm Awesome
    Oh really?

TO HIDE WELDS!?

LOLOLOLLOLOL. That's hilarious.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

corning my own beef
    Oh really?

Hide welds?
    Steel tubing / scroll saw?

I have to assume this is an (failed) attempt at humor, because if it is not, you have taken the term "willful ignorance" to new heights.

If you had convinced yourself that you had any credibility on this and similar topics, I have bad news for you -- you certainly don't have it anymore.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Hide welds?
    Steel tubing / scroll saw?

I have to assume this is an (failed) attempt at humor, because if it is not, you have taken the term "willful ignorance" to new heights.

If you had convinced yourself that you had any credibility on this and similar topics, I have bad news for you -- you certainly don't have it anymore.
    Hey! He spent alot of time making up that true story.

Lugs are beautiful.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    your knowledge of lugged steel frames is pretty much non-existent.
    Talk about about believing advertising.....

I'm going to start a steel frame website as soon as I get back from Home Depot and my "how to splatter paint" class.
    Pegoretti, watch out!

I'll be taking orders after the holidays.

Merry Christmas everyone! Stay tuned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    It comes down to the fact that people like looking at bikes in addition to riding them. I see bikes as tools and would never buy a lugged steel bike but I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them even if I don't think they are worth what most custom frame builders are asking. Especially the likes of Pegoretti, Vanilla, etc.

Lugged Carbon is simply an easier way to produce carbon frames but doesn't really give any enhanced performance or else more than just a few companies would be making a few of their bikes that way.

Consensus concerning lugged bicycle frames: Meh.

old school drop out
    I'm going to start a steel frame website as soon as I get back from Home Depot and my "how to splatter paint" class.
    Pegoretti, watch out!
    Seeing has lugged frames are not welded, you've got a lot to learn before you make that first Home Depot frame. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    You are funny. Mr. Troll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Lugged construction does allow a lower temperature brazing (vs high temp tig welding)that has less affect on the metallurgy of the tubing ...but definitely allows artistic expression like the frames above!

Special guest
    The above lugged steel frames are gorgeous.
    The ride quality of the carbon bikes you speak of, comes more from the tubing material selection, than the lugs they're fitted into.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    White lugged carbon frames look like they are made of those PVC tubes used in a home's plumbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Seven uses lugs on their carbon\ti bikes. Lugs can allow for custom geometry in cases such as this. For steel, they allow lower temp brazing and give more surface area for the brazing medium.

TimWhat's the big deal about lugged frames?-622d.jpg
    Last edited by mcteague; 12-23-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Not Banned
    when lugs are a 'cost adding' technology (in the case of steel bikes where one needs skilled brazers to do the job) it is an antiquated technology

when lugs are a 'cost saving' technology (allowing mfrs to build multiple frame sizes w/out having to make a multitude of monocoque molds) it is the benchmark in frame construction

funny how advertising works
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

off the back
    Talk about about believing advertising.....

Pegoretti, watch out!

I'll be taking orders after the holidays.

Merry Christmas everyone! Stay tuned.
    How are you gonna get the lugs over the tubes after you've welded them?
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How are you gonna get the lugs over the tubes after you've welded them?
    Doh!!!!!!!

they must have hidden seams
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast