RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

What's a fair price for a 2003 Look?

Guy in town is selling a 2003 KG 461, carbon frame with aluminum lugs. Ultegra group and carbon wheels, plus extra set of wheels. I'm a longtime mountain biker but have not ridden road much and only have an ancient Raleigh road bike hanging up in the garage. What is s fair price for his setup?

is riding in MOPP4
    You will find a lot of people here that are wary of buying used carbon, so their guestimates are usually on the lower end. Keep in mind that you can pick up a 2004 KG461 frame and fork on eBay for anywhere between $300-$550, so you can use that as a starting point. Ultegra of that vintage (probably 6500 series) adds minimal value, particularly if anything has to be replaced (chain, cassette, etc.) The quality of the carbon wheels, and the extra set, will have a significant effect on the overall value.

As an aside, I feel that if the bike has been crashed, you should pass on it, even if it was repaired. As a general rule, if the bike does not have the original fork, then it was crashed, and significantly so.

But above all, make sure the bike fits you well. There's no sense in considering something that's too big or too small just because it's a Look.
    Last edited by Tachycardic; 02-20-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Depends on condition, what model/brand the wheels are. I think the 585 was the top end Look frame from that era and that was a sweet bike. I'm not sure of the reputation of the 461. I'm assuming 9 speed Ultegra. I have no problems with uncrashed used carbon frames but I'm a little leery of carbon wheels from that era as the tech was still kind of new. This isn't in my wheelhouse but I would say $700 ish.