RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Wheel Sizing, Frame Sizing - Help

Looking at a 2011 Cinelli Experience, doesn't come with a wheel set though. Curious as to what a good price would be for this this bike (minus the wheels obviously) and also the dimensions of the wheels that would be compatible with it/ what kinds there are that are inexpensive? The frame is a small ( 48 ), im 5'6", would this fit?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cory15000 View Post
    Looking at a 2011 Cinelli Experience, doesn't come with a wheel set though. Curious as to what a good price would be for this this bike (minus the wheels obviously) and also the dimensions of the wheels that would be compatible with it/ what kinds there are that are inexpensive? The frame is a small ( 48 ), im 5'6", would this fit?
    You really need to research this specific bike yourself. For example, which version of that bike? Wheels on that one? Group? You need to set value by finding out either what they're selling for used (ebay or local). Or look at the lowest price you can find for a new one - I mean actual out the door price, not list - and take about 30% off of it, assuming it's in good shape. Make sure you're comparing comparable features, such as component group.

Since it doesn't have wheels, you'd then take another $300-500 or so off. $300 will be ample for a decent set of wheels, $500 for a better set. Of course you can spend a lot more on "good" wheels, but you don't see an awful lot of stock sort of bikes coming with wheels that would cost more than $500 to replace (discount/online pricing). But I could be totally wrong, you'll really have to try to figure out if they're more like what you can get for $2-300 or what would cost closer to $500.

As for wheel size, any conventional 700c wheel made for a road bike would work. I'd stay away from the 700c wheels marketed for cross bikes, and definitely stay away from the 700c wheels marketed as 29ers for mountain bikes. Stick with any 700c road wheel in your price range and you'll be good.

Will it fit you? Only you can decide. Look at a size chart (just search for that bike, you'll find a million sites that have it). Then compare it to a bike you know fits you in terms of (in order of importance) Horizontal/Effective top tube length+seat tube angle, head tube length, and then secondarily, maybe standover height. Seat tube length is almost irrelevant in the best case, and totally irrelevant in the case of sloping top tube bikes. I have no idea about this particular frame. If you can't do that or actually ride one, you'll just have to look at those charts and see for yourself if you fit into the manufacturer's guidelines for frame size.
    Last edited by Camilo; 04-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Having just bought a Cinelli frame today I can say with some authority that they run small. Therefore I'd conclude that a 48cm would fit an extremely small woman.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's a geometry chart that you can match your measurements to.
    Compare these measurements to a frame that you know fits you.

Name:  geo chart.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  88.3 KB