Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Who builds the most advanced Titanium Frame

Now that Serrota is gone, who is the the tehnological leader? Serrota would do things with their tubes that not a lot of others did, such as swaging or taking butting to extremes, high grade titanium drop outs in the fork, etc. Who comes closest? No22 bicycle company and Alchemy bikes seem to be either doing projects with Ben Serrotta or taking on former teams. What do those who know custom builders think here?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kelly Bedford built Serrota's bikes for about 25 years. He builds titanium frames.
    Check out kbedfordcustoms.com.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingred View Post
    Kelly Bedford built Serrota's bikes for about 25 years. He builds titanium frames.
    Check out kbedfordcustoms.com.
    +1 on this!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Lynskey does pretty crazy stuff aswell.

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    the Holland ExoGrid looks advanced, can't say from experience about the claims:
    Holland Cycles ? Holland ExoGrid® Bicycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    I live in San Diego where Holland is located. He has been building frames for many years. He started out with steel and eventually went exclusively to Ti. I know a few people who have Hollands and see many of them around here. I have not asked any of them what in particular they like about them but I heard he only builds 50 frames a year and he gets $5K for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I like merlin bikes. I Had one before, want to get another one.

Road Warrior
    Interesting thread,, Although I do not have an opinion, I am building a TiSport Frame, manufactured by TST-Sandvik in the USA, will post pictures next week or two of the complete package.. TST althought out of the business, This was posted on Titanium Rides's web site, if its true they made great frames.
    TiSport’s frame quality is unsurpassed. They guaranty to hold 0.020″ straightness from the head tube to the rear dropouts. In addition to the in-process checks, each frame goes through a final 27-step quality check before being shipped. I believe this is why so many companies choose TiSport to build their frames.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Interesting thread,, Although I do not have an opinion, I am building a TiSport Frame, manufactured by TST-Sandvik in the USA, will post pictures next week or two of the complete package.. TST althought out of the business, This was posted on Titanium Rides's web site, if its true they made great frames.
    TiSport’s frame quality is unsurpassed. They guaranty to hold 0.020″ straightness from the head tube to the rear dropouts. In addition to the in-process checks, each frame goes through a final 27-step quality check before being shipped. I believe this is why so many companies choose TiSport to build their frames.
    would you mind telling everyone who the "so many companies" are who have TiSport build their frames?

Is this the same TiSport that went out of business about 5 years ago and sold off all of their frame-building tools and materials? I'd be pretty impressed if they managed to go from resurrection to "unsurpassed" (your word, not mine) in such a short time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    would you mind telling everyone who the "so many companies" are who have TiSport build their frames?

Is this the same TiSport that went out of business about 5 years ago and sold off all of their frame-building tools and materials? I'd be pretty impressed if they managed to go from resurrection to "unsurpassed" (your word, not mine) in such a short time.
    From the tone of your post, you already know all of the answers? So why don't you enlighten us minions and answer the OPs questions? I'm sure all of us lesser creatures will appreciate the mana from heaven!!!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    the most advanced Titanium Frame............. who is the the tehnological leader? ............such as swaging or taking butting to extremes, high grade titanium drop outs in the fork, etc.
    Does your quest mean that you consider the best frames to be those that adopt the most extreme visual features? Remember, throughout the history of the bicycle frame (and with wheels too, more recently) visually bizarre different features are used to raise both hype and sales. In my two-year quest for the ideal Ti frame for me, I went with one of the plainest I could find, to get away from "feature of the month" - my beloved Kish. The runner up was another dead plain one - Steve Potts. But I'm sure a frame with twisted tubes would gather more of a crowd than mine.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Mike may actually be on to something here. When it comes to road frames, sometimes less really can be more

When the OP states 'technology leader', I think he is opening a can of worms.

I think most builders have access to butted tubes. Most builders can work with your geometry requirements. Most builders are willing to ask questions about your weight, riding style, etc, and can build a frame you will be happy with.

Kish (if you need custom sizing) and Moots would be a good place to start. Lynskey would probably be my choice, since I fit one of their standard sizes, and therefore wouldn't have to deal with the wait and higher price of custom.

Get the right geometry, correct tubes for your weight/riding style, and go with a builder you trust. That is all the technology you need....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Does your quest mean that you consider the best frames to be those that adopt the most extreme visual features? Remember, throughout the history of the bicycle frame (and with wheels too, more recently) visually bizarre different features are used to raise both hype and sales. In my two-year quest for the ideal Ti frame for me, I went with one of the plainest I could find, to get away from "feature of the month" - my beloved Kish. The runner up was another dead plain one - Steve Potts. But I'm sure a frame with twisted tubes would gather more of a crowd than mine.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    From the tone of your post, you already know all of the answers? So why don't you enlighten us minions and answer the OPs questions? I'm sure all of us lesser creatures will appreciate the mana from heaven!!!
    Tone? I'm not in the habit of asking questions I already know the answers to. Nice try at sarcastic snark, though. I can tell future interactions with you will be so very pleasant. Welcome.

All I know is that a company called TiSport went out of business several years ago. Haven't heard about them since then until this thread, where they've apparently risen from the ashes. I'd like to know about that. Hence the question.

Likewise, I am unaware of who the "many companies" may be who have their frames built by TiSport. But I would *like* to know. Hence my other question.

Not everyone is going to make their inquiries in a manner that does not offend your fragile sensibilities. You may have to discover on your own that pretentious sputterings about "minions" and "lesser creatures" aren't likely the ideal way to get credibility around here. But to each his own....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819 View Post
    Mike may actually be on to something here. When it comes to road frames, sometimes less really can be more
    When the OP states 'technology leader', I think he is opening a can of worms.
    I think most builders have access to butted tubes.
    You're getting into my teritory with the remark I bolded. I've followed this example for many years in many things --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

I used to do custom leatherwork for 3 decades. The stuff I did was technically more advanced than my all competition but visually, it was boring. Where they put their efforts (and therefore time) into carved fishes, flowers and deer-heads, I put mine into perfect hand-sewing and other construction details. I lost many sales because I wouldn't bang the guys initials into the front surface Those who knew perfection looked at my glass-smooth edges and winked.

And for the two custom ti frame makers, who were on my short-list of builders that I asked the leading question (to which I knew the answer) of "What difference does your butted tubing make over plain gauge?", their non-BS answer of "About 4 ounces" was the answer that kept them on my list.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    The Holland Exogrid is a fancy bike. That's a lot of work to fuse carbon and titanium. I'm surprised that his Exogrid frame is selling for less than his full carbon frame. These days, making a high performace monocoque carbon frame can be done by Chinese for cheap. But infusing ti and carbon takes great artistry and technical skill. I would take his Exogrid frame over his HC carbon frame anyday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    The Holland Exogrid is a fancy bike. That's a lot of work to fuse carbon and titanium. I'm surprised that his Exogrid frame is selling for less than his full carbon frame. These days, making a high performace monocoque carbon frame can be done by Chinese for cheap. But infusing ti and carbon takes great artistry and technical skill. I would take his Exogrid frame over his HC carbon frame anyday.
    I think the world is waking up to the fact that the Pinerello, Cervello & Cannondale is made side by side in the same Far East factory spitting out Giants. There are many specialty manufacturers that don't have the name recognition of Seven, Serotta or Parlee that sell well made and hand made frames for little or no premium to the generic me-too carbon frames out of China and Taiwan by builders who respect the bicycle and put their soul into each frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    What about some of these Italian beauties form Carrera and SOMEC?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who builds the most advanced Titanium Frame-somec.jpg   Who builds the most advanced Titanium Frame-scatto.jpg  
    Last edited by Italianrider76; 04-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    Another one would be Crisp Titanium, made by Darren Crisp. He's done some interesting things with Ti. Darren is American but lives and does his framebuilding in Italy.

Campagnolo chose one of his frames to hang their 80th anniv gruppo for the marketing.

web:CRISP titanium ? English MAIN » CRISP titanium - English

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I remember a post on ti frame failures, and something was said about the more manipulated a ti tube was, the more likely it was to fail. I don't know about the expertise of the person who stated this, but my 19 year old, straight gauge, round tubed, flogged daily ti frame, is still the nicest riding bike I've ever swung my leg over.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Are you serious or just being sarcastic. TiSports made many companies ti frames, stems, handlebars and seatposts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    I remember a post on ti frame failures, and something was said about the more manipulated a ti tube was, the more likely it was to fail
    Ti is a pain to work with. Too many bicycle builders think it is just another kind of steel and screw up.
    It can work harden if manipulated too much.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    I like bike companies that are small and build their own bikes, not farm them out to someone else and brand them under a "house name". Lynskey builds all of their Ti bikes by hand by themselves in Chattanooga, TN. They have their own factory and high tech equipment to build various model road and mountain bikes. Are they the "best"? I don't know. I think titling a company "the best" is very subjective. For me, I placed my trust in Lynskey after doing a lot of research into Ti bikes. Anytime I called Lynksey and asked many questions to Don Irwin and Mike Langford, they were patient and answered all of my questions. I watched many Youtube videos. I had full confidence in Lynskey and placed my order for a 2014 R255 in December. The bike arrived in January and I am more than satisfied. I especially like the 100% lifetime frame warranty.

After putting around 800 miles on the Lynskey R255 since the end of January, even with the crazy winter we've had, I'm more than satisfied with the bike, and may, in the future, buy a different model Lynskey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    I think the world is waking up to the fact that the Pinerello, Cervello & Cannondale is made side by side in the same Far East factory spitting out Giants. There are many specialty manufacturers that don't have the name recognition of Seven, Serotta or Parlee that sell well made and hand made frames for little or no premium to the generic me-too carbon frames out of China and Taiwan by builders who respect the bicycle and put their soul into each frame
    exactly. If I wanted a "high performance" carbon racing bike, I'd probably get a Giant or Merida, or maybe even one of the Chinese clones. All of them can be made just as light and just as capable as any top line carbon Pinarello, Colnago, C'dale, Specialized, etc. And since I'm not a paid pro who is given free equipment, I can care less about company brochures touting special features of a frame that ultimately means almost nothing in the grand scheme.

But a "keeper" bike to me has to have element of either steel or titanium, it has to be traditional, and it has to look classy. I would never get a custom full carbon fiber bike just simply because I want performance; this can be handled by the Chinese very well. 5 years from now, any of the current latest and greatest carbon whizbang, is gonna look like an old maid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love how the tapered headtube looks on the newer ti bikes these days.....Wish my 2013 Lynskey had it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    Love how the tapered headtube looks on the newer ti bikes these days.....Wish my 2013 Lynskey had it
    Lynskey is hardly specialty a Ti builder. They've clearly gone mass market. But if you like the product, nothing wrong then.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast