Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    My wife is 5 foot 6 and doesn't ride. I'll trade wives, that would solve both our problems.
    When did RBR become a wife-swapping site?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    When did RBR become a wife-swapping site?
    Did l post in the wrong forum?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Did l post in the wrong forum?
    There is no "alternative lifestyles" forum so I guess "Bike Frames" is as good as any

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    There is no "alternative lifestyles" forum so I guess "Bike Frames" is as good as any
    Can't get scolded for posting in the wrong forum.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

coaster
    How old and fit is she? My thinking is that a lot of people get on their first road bike and don't want to be "stretched out" or "reaching down". Then they get into performance riding, develop some core/arm/neck strength, and don't mind an aggressive position.

For someone that small I'd strongly consider 650c wheels for weight/aero reasons. It's hard justifing an expensive/performance bike for a new rider but consider bike weight proportionally to body weight and strength and you'll see that a 19lb bike is like hauling a lead sled up climbs for a small woman. Considering how little load someone this size and strength puts on things I'd be looking at Chinese carbon stuff for a budget weight weenie build shooting for 12lbs at sub $4,000.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 01-23-2018 at 11:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    My wife is 5 foot 6 and doesn't ride. I'll trade wives, that would solve both our problems.
    Mine is 6'1 and no longer rides... Where is the black market wives sub forum...

tthome
    May 2008
    Thanks for all input on this...she goes for a Retul bike fit today. We'll see how it goes and if the bike she has is even close to getting her in a comfortable position. If we need to go to a 650c bike then that's what we'll do. I'll dig around the interwebs to see. She's had zero complaints with her bike thus far with the exception of when the ride is longer, as in 45 miles or more. She complains that her neck hurts. No complaints of knees, feet, arms, just neck. In any event, I do plan to get her what she needs to fit on the bike even if that means a new bike. Again, I was simply curious if a frame came smallerer than the XS Fuji Finest she's riding now. Seems that as another poster said, possibly reaching minimal design limits on sizing for 700c. I have a huge stable of 10 bikes, and counting. All built by myself and all fitted using Retul. Firm believer in N+1 and I'm afraid my wife is going to be too. I can hear my wallet wimpering as I type this. Thanks again everyone!
    Please support and visit my cycling website BunchSprint. Cycling news, reviews and tips.
    http://www.bunchsprint.com/wp-conten...ple_avatar.png

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Please tell us the results of your wife's Retul. I'm curious what it will have to say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tthome View Post
    Thanks for all input on this...she goes for a Retul bike fit today. We'll see how it goes and if the bike she has is even close to getting her in a comfortable position. If we need to go to a 650c bike then that's what we'll do. I'll dig around the interwebs to see. She's had zero complaints with her bike thus far with the exception of when the ride is longer, as in 45 miles or more. She complains that her neck hurts.
    It sounds like she is stretched out too far. It may help to swap a shorter or more upright stem and tilt the bars up slightly so the hoods are higher.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

I love to climb!
    I'm going to reiterate what others have said regarding not worrying about spare tubes when it comes to wheel size. I've put all kinds of wrong size tubes in tires in a pinch that worked just fine. 26" in a 29er, 29er in a 27.5+, 700x23 in a 700x32 (And even vice versa), and other random sizes in tires. So pack the proper size, but she'll be able to make a 700 tube work if it's necessary.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    My wife is 5 feet tall and I fit her in a Colnago CR-s Ultegra 42cm and she is fine. I also looked at Masi and Liv bikes, they have xxs frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would recommend reading this from Rodriguez Bikes:

650c vs 700c | Rodriguez Bike News

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tthome View Post
    If we need to go to a 650c bike then that's what we'll do.
    If the fitter doesn't demand 650/26" it's because he's limiting himself to commonly available parts. It is IMPOSSIBLE to build a frame that fits a 5' tall rider and handles like a road bike. Full stop. The issue is getting the rider's weight close enough to the front axle. At her height you'll be looking for a ~330mm reach.

I haven't seen a smaller rider get saddled with a 700c bike and not quit out of discomfort.

I think it's reasonable to get a kids' 26"/700c bike and put a nice build on it. Make it feel adult's bike. Used terrys are cool. Custom is a fantastic investment, if you know it will be ridden regularly and for a long time.

Flat bars are also an option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12