Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    tthome
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    305

    Wife is 4 ft 10 inches - need some frame / bike advice

    My wife is 4' - 10" tall. I've purchased here the smallest road bike I could find that had 700c wheels simply because of the fact she might need to borrow a tube or something while riding with other women. The XS is a size 44cm Fuji aluminum frame.

    I have the seatpost slammed all the way down and have replaced the original stem with a 30mm stubbie.

    I'm curious if they make an even smaller frame anywhere that might be a tick smaller than a 44cm while still using a 700c wheel.

    I'd like to get her on carbon however right now I'm simply trying to get her something that fits her a bit better. She's already stretched out a bit. I'm very close to changing out her rounded drop handlebars to straight so she doesn't feel she has to lean over on the hoods.

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by tthome; 01-22-2018 at 05:29 AM.
    Please support and visit my cycling website BunchSprint. Cycling news, reviews and tips.
    http://www.bunchsprint.com/wp-conten...ple_avatar.png

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,443
    Why are you so hung up on 700 wheels?
    BANNED

  3. #3
    tthome
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    305
    Trying to keep her with 700c in the event she runs into problem on a group ride with her tubes/tires and needs to borrow something from other riders. She could easily run 650 tires however she'd need to ensure she had everything (and possibly extra) just in case of double flats/cut tires/etc. Not hung up on 700c, simply trying to ensure that if she's got to "borrow" something from other riders or the SAG vehicles her bike is more common than not. It's not about going to a smaller wheel, I'm simply asking if there are smaller frames than what I've been able to locate that have 700c wheels.
    Please support and visit my cycling website BunchSprint. Cycling news, reviews and tips.
    http://www.bunchsprint.com/wp-conten...ple_avatar.png

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,390
    Not sure if it would be 'necessary' but going custom would obviously solve the fit issue. The problem there is wait time. Budget may not be as much a problem as you may expect. There are some reasonable options.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,443
    I feel that you are making big compromises just so she can borrow a tube.

    I would rather be stuck on the road thumbing it home than have a major off due to unforseen toe overlap disaster. There is no way your going to get around toe overlap on a small frame unless you go to a touring bike or such.

    How hard is it to put 2 tubes & patch kit on a bike?
    BANNED

  6. #6
    tthome
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

    How hard is it to put 2 tubes & patch kit on a bike?
    It's not, I'm simply asking if anyone knows of any manufacturers that might make a smaller frame than a 44cm the accommodates 700c wheels. Serves other purposes too such as me giving her my lighter carbon wheelset, tires and other stuff that I too use.
    Please support and visit my cycling website BunchSprint. Cycling news, reviews and tips.
    http://www.bunchsprint.com/wp-conten...ple_avatar.png

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,589
    Well.. the true cyclist response would be.. get a taller wife

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by tthome View Post
    It's not, I'm simply asking if anyone knows of any manufacturers that might make a smaller frame than a 44cm the accommodates 700c wheels. Serves other purposes too such as me giving her my lighter carbon wheelset, tires and other stuff that I too use.
    I am thinking that you are at the design limit and it simply isn't possible to go smaller with 700c

  9. #9
    Happily absent RBR Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,940
    The only way to make truly small 700c wheeled bike is to use an extremely relaxed head tube with a correspondingly super high rake fork. It just isn't going to work. Stop punishing her for being short and get her a bike that fits.

    Tubes and patches are small, as are cell phones. Put slime in the tubes.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  10. #10
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963
    700c is a big mistake.

    She'll never have to borrow a wheel and can carry her own tubes.

    And let's be honest here... I've done over 10,000 miles since my last flat, if you have the right tires/pressures/roads it really isn't a problem.

    Canyon makes a nice women's 650b carbon ultimate wmn. I'd buy her that.
    use a torque wrench

  11. #11
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Well.. the true cyclist response would be.. get a taller wife
    WONG. The True cyclist response would be N+1
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    700c is a big mistake.

    She'll never have to borrow a wheel and can carry her own tubes.

    And let's be honest here... I've done over 10,000 miles since my last flat, if you have the right tires/pressures/roads it really isn't a problem.

    Canyon makes a nice women's 650b carbon ultimate wmn. I'd buy her that.
    Agree. Its not like people are riding around with a spare wheel to give her. At 4'10" if she breaks down you can just toss her in a jersey pocket

  13. #13
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,601
    My ex had Ron Cooper build her a custom. She was also 4'10". He managed to get her on a 700c bike for the same reasons you're thinking about. She raced a lot and did a bunch of events w/ neutral support. I don't remember the specifics of the geometry but I think she had a touch of toe overlap but dealt w/ it just fine. These days I've probably recommend 650b wheels and a tire like the Schwalbe Pro One.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,443
    He probably wants new wheels and wants to move his to hers'!

    A pro has a reason for 700's and the skills to handle whatever toe overlap/handling that includes. I have seen people have problems, I even have hit the wheel but I saved it.

    I like going around corners and I think a small 650 would handle a lot better than a super small 700.
    BANNED

  15. #15
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,418
    Dood, you can always fold a too-large tube over. I was talking with Georgina Terry once, somebody made this comment, and she SHOWED us how well the folded-tube worked on her 24" front. You are getting concerned about a non-issue.

    FWIW, frames for very short people NEVER work well with 700 wheels-that's why Terry makes most of her bikes with 24" fronts and 700c rears. That way the geometry isn't screwy.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,306
    rather than compromise the bike fit, my suggestion would be to contact a seven cycles and explore a custom fit. nothing worse than riding a bike that's not a good fit. been there and done that and it compromises the ride experience

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,797
    Add my name to the camp of "you can't get a properly fitting 700c wheeled bike for your short wife".

    And people; the proper sized road bike for the wife has 650c wheels, not 650b. The difference is a rim bead seat of 571mm vs. 584mm for the 650b.

    Keep a stock of tires and tubes at home so she's never waiting for special orders to get her back on the road, and be a kind hubby and always make sure her spares are ready to go in her saddle bag.

  18. #18
    Happily absent RBR Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,940
    At my last shop the owner designed a Seven for a women who is 5'2" using Seven's fork that goes out to 58mm of rake. I forget how slack the headtube was, but I'm thinking that 69° and a trail of 68mm is about as far as you'd want to push it. With a 69 HTA and 73 STA, you can get down to an honest 49cm TT (which would look like 48cm with a 74 HTA). coupled with a 80mm stem, very short HT and a sloped TT it could work. Rear brakes start getting in the way with very low rear stays, though.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  19. #19
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Add my name to the camp of "you can't get a properly fitting 700c wheeled bike for your short wife".

    And people; the proper sized road bike for the wife has 650c wheels, not 650b. The difference is a rim bead seat of 571mm vs. 584mm for the 650b.

    Keep a stock of tires and tubes at home so she's never waiting for special orders to get her back on the road, and be a kind hubby and always make sure her spares are ready to go in her saddle bag.
    You can easily use 650b wheels as well. Depends where you're going to be riding and what kind/size tire you'd like. Yes, the classic 'small' road size wheel is 650c but that might be changing.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You can easily use 650b wheels as well. Depends where you're going to be riding and what kind/size tire you'd like. Yes, the classic 'small' road size wheel is 650c but that might be changing.
    I'm a fan of 650b but they are hard to find much smaller than 38mm. Grand Bois can be had at 32mm and I've heard that Michelin has\had a 32, but they're not always available.

    But I think that either 650b or c would suit her much more than 700c. Should be faster handling than the larger 700c wheels. And even with larger diameter tires the smaller wheels would be lighter, if that's a concern.

    The smaller wheels would allow a bike design that works, not a hack to try and make it handle like a conventional bike.
    Too old to ride plastic

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I would rather be stuck on the road thumbing it home than have a major off due to unforseen toe overlap disaster. There is no way your going to get around toe overlap on a small frame unless you go to a touring bike or such.
    I don't think toe overlap is the major issue with shorter riders. I'm 5' 10", take a 56 frame and have toe overlap on both my road bikes with my size 11 1/2 feet.

    The main issue is if her saddle is slammed down, she is probably not getting a correct fit.

    650b wheels sound like the only answer here. I don't believe there are adult frames smaller than 44.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,306
    i'm 5'5 and ride a 45 cm sloping colnago. it's possible a 41 cm sloping colnago would work.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by tthome View Post
    Trying to keep her with 700c in the event she runs into problem on a group ride with her tubes/tires and needs to borrow something from other riders. She could easily run 650 tires however she'd need to ensure she had everything (and possibly extra) just in case of double flats/cut tires/etc. Not hung up on 700c, simply trying to ensure that if she's got to "borrow" something from other riders or the SAG vehicles her bike is more common than not. It's not about going to a smaller wheel, I'm simply asking if there are smaller frames than what I've been able to locate that have 700c wheels.
    You can stuff 700c tubes in an emergency in 650b tires. Not pretty but will get you home. I have done it with 26” tires too. 46cm frames usually come with 650b wheels to avoid toe overlapping in front.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I don't think toe overlap is the major issue with shorter riders.
    I think you are saying y are short?
    BANNED

  25. #25
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    39,585
    My wife is 5 foot 6 and doesn't ride. I'll trade wives, that would solve both our problems.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need to Raise Handlebars 4-6 Inches ....
    By vja4Him in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
  2. weight loss with fixed gear/ need help with gear inches
    By kroettger1 in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
  3. OLN inches toward the door - Bull Riders Rejoice!
    By terry b in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 10:32 AM
  4. Gear inches-31.5 to 38. Big difference?
    By upstateSC-rider in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 08:28 AM
  5. Inches is inches... yes or no?
    By Auriaprottu in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.