RoadBikeReview Member

The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...

Some of you maybe familiar with the *old* Titus Ti frame I bought off Ebay about a month ago. [X-Post] My Wife's Titus FCR Initial Build, sorta... [X-Post]

Anyhow, the new frame is now complete. It is an '08 floor model that maybe has a few dozen "test ride" miles on the frame. It is not a true "Full Custom" obviously since this wasn't built for her but it may as well could have been. It has the most important specs- headtube length 14.5 cm, and effective toptube length of 53 cm. Plus, it has nice stable geometry at 73.5 ST angle/71.8 HT angle, 41 cm chainstays, and 97.5 wheelbase. It is built Chorus 11, compact 172.5 cranks, Ritchey WCS wet black stem, WCS fork, and WCS Evolution SL2 bar. Thomson post, and Selle Italia Diva flow sadlle. The wheels are Neutron Ultras with Vred Tricomps but they are mine. She has black Zondas, just waiting for tires which will either be white Tricomps, Pro3s, or Open Corsa CX. It will have Ti cages from Wiggle when they have them back in stock. Here are some pics.

My wife is out on her maiden voyage as I type and I will tweak it based on her feedback. I have a dilemna in whether or not she needs a setback post as her Orbea has a good 25 mm setback. The other concern is the saddle to bar drop is about 10-15 mm more than her Orbea. This was my first build, so hopefully nothing goes wrong mechanically.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_0988.jpg   The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_0990.jpg   The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_0998.jpg   The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_1000.jpg   The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_1001.jpg  

The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_0992.jpg   The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_0996.jpg   The wife's *New* Titus Full Custom Racer...-img_1006.jpg  
    Last edited by Ride-Fly; 04-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

duh...
    looks much better... how much slope is in that tt?
    and how about an update on the dean sometime

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    looks much better... how much slope is in that tt?
    and how about an update on the dean sometime
    Thanks Fred. The Titus has a 14.25 deg slope. I like this one sooo much better it's not even funny. Not only the way it looks but the tubes are built for someone who was a bit taller and heavier. The chainstays are beefier and ovalized, like a racetrack. The build was for a 5'8" 165 lbs rider and my wife is 5'5.5" and about 130-140 lbs (I'm guessing- we don't have a scale in the house) so it will be plenty stiff for her.

As for my Dean, see my sig. That should tell all. **edited content** that I wrote whilst I was in a riled up mood! I'm better now that I've vented. Still, I would ove to have the frame before the summer but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Ride-Fly; 04-30-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

duh...
    your sig is what reminded me... I'm tellin' ya, threaten to cancel the order and tell him to refund your $... that is the only reason they got going on mine. working with them/him/dean titanium bicycles is a f**king nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    your sig is what reminded me... I'm tellin' ya, threaten to cancel the order and tell him to refund your $... that is the only reason they got going on mine. working with them/him/dean titanium bicycles is a f**king nightmare
    Unfortunately, I can't cancel the order since I bought the rights to the frame from the original winner of the charity auction. (John's kid goes to the same elementary school as the winner of the auction's kid and John had donated a frame to the school's annual charity auction). The only thing I can do is take consumer action, such as complain to the BBB or file a lawsuit. I am not there yet. The 1 year mark comes around and if I still don't have a frame, I will be much closer to going that route. For now, I will trust that he will eventually build my frame.

Now that the Titus is done, time for me to start the Colnago Ext C build for myself. Record 11, 3T Doric post, Team ARX stem and Ergonova bars. White SI SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle, Reynolds Attacks and white fizik tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Very nice. I bet she is very happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    when I first glanced at your headline, I missed the "u" in the word Titus.

Anyway, that's a great looking bicycle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Real nice job. I'm a big fan of Ti and Campy. You did a wonderful job and your wife should be very happy! I would swap out the Chorus FD and add a Record, though. The carbon cage just looks much better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    She needs a red seatpost clamp to go with the red headset.

Nice bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    She needs a red seatpost clamp to go with the red headset.

Nice bike
    If only Chris King made colored seat clamps! You are right though. I need to search for a matching red ano seat clamp. Are the ones from Salsa or whoever else makes red anodized clamps the same shade of red?? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonda
    Real nice job. I'm a big fan of Ti and Campy. You did a wonderful job and your wife should be very happy! I would swap out the Chorus FD and add a Record, though. The carbon cage just looks much better.
    Thanks Ray. I know you like Ti, judging from your sweet Litespeed Tuscany. As for the Record carbon FD, naaw... I like the finish- it matches the chainrings!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    If only Chris King made colored seat clamps! You are right though. I need to search for a matching red ano seat clamp. Are the ones from Salsa or whoever else makes red anodized clamps the same shade of red?? Thanks.
    The Salsa one should be a pretty close match if it isn't dead on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Damn, that's a beautiful welding job on that frame!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MercuryMan76
    Damn, that's a beautiful welding job on that frame!
    Yea, I was pretty impressed with the welds too. IMO, about equal to Seven, Serotta, Dean welds. But not quite as nice as Moots/Eriksen welds. Those are the best I've ever seen.

I'm workin' on it....
    Nov 2007
    Nice build! I love the clean lines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I have never seen such a beautiful weld in my life.

Your wife is very good looking and looks like she can ride.

Have fun!
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

It's all ball bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke249
    when I first glanced at your headline, I missed the "u" in the word Titus.

LoL, same here.

That bike is beautiful!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly

Salsa should be pretty close though it may be a hair darker. I'd be more confident in HOPE's clamp matching personally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    Salsa should be pretty close though it may be a hair darker. I'd be more confident in HOPE's clamp matching personally.
    I will have to look into Hope. I kind of like Hopes a little better than Salsas for road stuff. For MTBs, I like Salsas better because they have that beefier design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Hot corn! That's a beautiful bike... Always nice to see a Thomson stem on a road bike. The pride of Macon, GA!!!
    A bicycle distributor's view...
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/