RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Wilier Cento1: Catalog 1050gm Actual 1175gm

Just got my 2012 Wilier Cento1, medium. The catalog says 1050gm, it's actually 1175 with the derailleur screws removed, completely, completely stripped. Except for the paint and bb shell that's integral to the frame. If they measured a small, I don't think it would be over 10% lighter.

I'm kind chapped, I was hoping it would be a titch lighter than my Noah. But it looks like it's going to be the same. The fork is actually 2gm heavier than the double bladed Noah fork. Has anyone else seen a noticeable difference on Wiliers? I know that some companies cheat on listings. Why am I whining? Well, if you want to drop 150gm in the Wilier line, the same frame will cost you $1000 more for the "Super light" version. So someone cares!

I worked at a ski pole factory in high school. Some coworkers would maliciously load up the high end shafts with the wood plugs that were used for the strap screws, making them quite a bit heavier than they were supposed to be. Yeah, stuff happens, I wondering if I got a "special" one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Dont worry for 150 grams more, just go and take a nice dumb 10 mins before riding and there u have 200 grams less and then u will be 50 grames lighter total

Good luck

ps: is well known that catalogs always say that the stuff is lighter.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    Just got my 2012 Wilier Cento1, medium. The catalog says 1050gm, it's actually 1175 with the derailleur screws removed, completely, completely stripped. Except for the paint and bb shell that's integral to the frame. If they measured a small, I don't think it would be over 10% lighter.

I'm kind chapped, I was hoping it would be a titch lighter than my Noah. But it looks like it's going to be the same. The fork is actually 2gm heavier than the double bladed Noah fork. Has anyone else seen a noticeable difference on Wiliers? I know that some companies cheat on listings. Why am I whining? Well, if you want to drop 150gm in the Wilier line, the same frame will cost you $1000 more for the "Super light" version. So someone cares!

I worked at a ski pole factory in high school. Some coworkers would maliciously load up the high end shafts with the wood plugs that were used for the strap screws, making them quite a bit heavier than they were supposed to be. Yeah, stuff happens, I wondering if I got a "special" one.
    Why don't you bring it up with the seller? I think it is fair for you to ask for explanation of the discrepancy, especially if the frame is marketed as super-leggera. But yes, lots of companies cheat on catalog weight listings. I looked on weightweenies and unfortunately for you, not a single number for your frame model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I owned a 2010 Wilier Izoard. Frame came in at 1100g, 50g lighter than the advertised weight of 1150g. Its was a 47cm.

HOWEVER, I spent a grip on a 2010 Wilier Cento 1 Supleggera, waited 3+ months. I was in shock! 1100 grams for a 47cm. Not cool at all. Catalog weight was 920g. I tried to see if I could live with it but after spending all that coin it weighed heavily (no pun intended) on my mind.

I took it back to shop and they sent it back to Wilier. After another 3 mos and an Sworks Tarmac to fill the void, I got the frame back. It was a 2011 Cento SL with Wilier's owner's inititals near the lower part of seatpost. The frame was still heavier at 1000g but thats with the rear hanger (10g). So 990g. I asked another Wilier dealer for their thoughts. I was told their medium cento sl always came in between 1000-1100g. He said Wilier weighs the frames without hardware, paint or clearcoat, basically right off the mold.

I can see why some manufacturers no longer advertise frame weight.

I have since sold the Sworks tarmac and got a tarmac sl3 pro for a rain bike to keep the Wilier clean. The saddest part of all is that my plain not-so-expensive tarmac sl3 is lighter by 1/2lb than my Superleggera. Both have same components. The tarmac also has the heavier ss zero pedals. I will say, the Cento does a great job of absorbing the road. It's a very comfy bike and not just saying it because of price.
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 - Race Black HTC2

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000 View Post
    I owned a 2010 Wilier Izoard. Frame came in at 1100g, 50g lighter than the advertised weight of 1150g. Its was a 47cm.

HOWEVER, I spent a grip on a 2010 Wilier Cento 1 Supleggera, waited 3+ months. I was in shock! 1100 grams for a 47cm. Not cool at all. Catalog weight was 920g. I tried to see if I could live with it but after spending all that coin it weighed heavily (no pun intended) on my mind.

I took it back to shop and they sent it back to Wilier. After another 3 mos and an Sworks Tarmac to fill the void, I got the frame back. It was a 2011 Cento SL with Wilier's owner's inititals near the lower part of seatpost. The frame was still heavier at 1000g but thats with the rear hanger (10g). So 990g. I asked another Wilier dealer for their thoughts. I was told their medium cento sl always came in between 1000-1100g. He said Wilier weighs the frames without hardware, paint or clearcoat, basically right off the mold.

I can see why some manufacturers no longer advertise frame weight.

I have since sold the Sworks tarmac and got a tarmac sl3 pro for a rain bike to keep the Wilier clean. The saddest part of all is that my plain not-so-expensive tarmac sl3 is lighter by 1/2lb than my Superleggera. Both have same components. The tarmac also has the heavier ss zero pedals. I will say, the Cento does a great job of absorbing the road. It's a very comfy bike and not just saying it because of price.
    Honestly, this is misleading advertising, isn't it? They should clarify that the measurement of weight is done without hardware, paint, nor clearcoat. Or even better, have a minimal paint/clearcoat version that is called SSL, and charge even more for it ;-).

I'm glad that both the Wilier dealer and Wilier itself decided to help you out in some way, but if I were you I'd still be disappointed.

All that said, how's the ride of the Cento1 SL compared to the Izoard?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both the Izoard and cento sl share the same geometry. I put about 4000mi on the izoard and upgraded to a cento because i liked the Izoard so much and liked the unique carbon layup of the superleggera. I now have about 2500 miles on it with 284,000 ft of climbing so far.

On the flats, Both ride considerably smooth and both absorb the bumps well. The isp on the cento does dampen road better. Its like rolling over cracks and potholes with dampener inserts as on the specialized roubaix and they dont phase me.

In all honesty I dont think the average rider will notice the difference immediately between the izoard and cento. Maybe seasoned veteran riders can. However, if comparing both of these bikes to my older fuji ccr3, fuji sl1, tarmac sworks sl3, and current tarmac sl3 pro, YES, the Wiliers are a noticeably smoother ride. For those longer rides, i like the Cento

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000 View Post
    Both the Izoard and cento sl share the same geometry. I put about 4000mi on the izoard and upgraded to a cento because i liked the Izoard so much and liked the unique carbon layup of the superleggera. I now have about 2500 miles on it with 284,000 ft of climbing so far.

On the flats, Both ride considerably smooth and both absorb the bumps well. The isp on the cento does dampen road better. Its like rolling over cracks and potholes with dampener inserts as on the specialized roubaix and they dont phase me.

In all honesty I dont think the average rider will notice the difference immediately between the izoard and cento. Maybe seasoned veteran riders can. However, if comparing both of these bikes to my older fuji ccr3, fuji sl1, tarmac sworks sl3, and current tarmac sl3 pro, YES, the Wiliers are a noticeably smoother ride. For those longer rides, i like the Cento
    That's interesting what you say about the ISP dampening the road. Does it have special inserts in it? I don't have an ISP frame, but I always thought they'd make the ride harsher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I don't get the whole whining about "my brand new frame didn't meet manufacturer's weight specs". Is that really such a surprise? Do you take the manufacturer specs as the absolute truth? You don't think that there isn't going to be some variation in production? Tell you what, since you are so upset and since I'm such a nice guy I'll take that brand new frame off your hands at no charge. That's just the way I am. I just need something with a 53cm top tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I bet if you look really closely in that catalog you'll find some along the lines of "specifications subject to change."

But yeah, they always weigh the smallest frame with the least bit of stuff on it. It's the what's the definition of a "frame." Unless there's some industry standard or government regulation, manufactures will define "frame" in different ways. Of course, it's in company's long-term interest to be consistent and as truthful as possible about such stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    After researching bikes online for months prior to purchasing, the only manufacturer i found that actually stated its weights was Scott. I bought mine used, but the seller claimed he weighed it and the number he gave me was almost exactly what was claimed on the website. Not that this has anything to do with the Wilier, but i guess it's possible for a manufacturer to be honest.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    I don't get the whole whining about "my brand new frame didn't meet manufacturer's weight specs". Is that really such a surprise? Do you take the manufacturer specs as the absolute truth? You don't think that there isn't going to be some variation in production? Tell you what, since you are so upset and since I'm such a nice guy I'll take that brand new frame off your hands at no charge. That's just the way I am. I just need something with a 53cm top tube.
    Well, I'm not the one who bought the frame, but what bothers me is the Wilier dealer's statement that, "... Wilier weighs the frames without hardware, paint or clearcoat, basically right off the mold."

I take this as willfully misleading advertising.

eminence grease
    Weight weenie angst is my all time favorite angst.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    Well, I'm not the one who bought the frame, but what bothers me is the Wilier dealer's statement that, "... Wilier weighs the frames without hardware, paint or clearcoat, basically right off the mold."

I take this as willfully misleading advertising.
    It depends. Is this the standard? Is this how other companies weigh their bikes? Does Wilier spec how they weight their frames somewhere?

Frame weights have been discussed here and on other forums. I know I have seen the legal " * " next to some claimed weights. The legal copy usually goes something like this, "claimed weight is for a 47cm frame without hardware, up to a 5%+/- deviation in weight for manufacturing."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for the notes that all Wiliers are heavier, that's comforting. I should have assumed. My Orbea Orca and Ridley Noah were both significantly heavier. I just thought that if Wilier cares enough to make an SL, they should be in tune with the concerns. Mine is a regular, not an SL.

I tell ya what, though, if the stuff that my company makes was off published specs that much, our customers (large companies) would be demanding their money back plus liquidated and consequential damages that were 100x the sale price!!!

I guess it's just this sport, huh? Think of it as marketing doping. Sad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dont think ALL Wiliers are heavier. I did state that my 2010 Izoard was 50g LIGHTER than advertised and going by that and the great ride experience I decided to upgrade. Maybe shouldve stuck to Izoard, id still have $ for other things. The Izoard is a great package, it also looks expensive and i was able to get mine down to 14.6lbs. The cento sl i got down to 14.13lbs. In the end they are both still very light bikes...of course with proper compnenent choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    could be worse...you could have invested $6k in a pinarello dogma frameset and got a 300 gram surprise. i think its an italian framebuilder thing...they just randomly throw out a weight that looks good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    At the end of the day if your going to be putting down serious coin and weight is important to you then then that should be may clear to the vendor.your entering into a contract and buyer beware! Even more relevant when it comes to bikes because weight is a major factor in the marketing, so a customer can expect realistic claims. I would have no issue taking the vendor to account if they could not verify my weight question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lots of manufacturers have variance in weight of bikes coming through production. Not unheard of to have same model, same size bike come through and have a 100 gram difference. When Carbon was newer technology the amounts were more, and I heard horror stories of much larger variance. At least one model I know of that comes off the line is weighed. The lighter ones are called the SL version the other is the standard model. I wouldn't worry you got a bum frame at all.