RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

worth it to go carbon or update what i have

right now i am riding a specialized allez comp 06, components are ok nothing special. I have been riding more and want to ride more, i was looking at a guru flite but have some concerns with a carbon bike. How easy do they break if you drop or fall? Bumps etc..? Will the bike help me become a better rider, i am assuming it weighs a good 4 pds less than my bike. Im just concerned if i am making the right choice since it is a $3k bike (may not be a lot in the bike world but for me it is).

Also any other recommendations for a bike around that price as good or better please let me know.

Thanks

AC

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It probably won't make you a better rider per se, but it'll make you get out and ride more, so you'll become a stronger rider. Everytime I get a new bike, I ride the crap out of it.

Don't be concerned about a carbon bike. They're tough. I bought a carbon bike (Kestrel 200 Sci) back in 1993 when all my friends were riding steel bikes. I rode that bike thousands of miles for years. I eventually sold it to thin the herd a little. I have another carbon bike that I ride regularily. They're not going to melt or explode on you. If the Guru really gets your pulse rate up, then get it. You ought to be able to get some kind of a deal on it given that summer is nearing its end.

Unless you really love your Specialized, I wouldn't consider upgrading it. Keep it. It's good to have more than one bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    You could do what I did, and pick up a decent bike/frame on closeout. I was a die-hard steelie, looking to upgrade my '98 Colnago Master. Came across the Focus brand, and had a hard time finding a negative review/comment, so I decided to take the plunge. Found an Izalco for $2,300, with full SRAM Red (list was over $4k). Liked it so much, bought another on closeout for $1,500 a few months later (full SRAM Force). That way, if you don't like it, you're not out full list price, and will have a better chance at selling for negligible loss. I picked up the 2nd in order to have a standard crank, since the 1st one was a compact for "light/hilly days".

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    You could do what I did, and pick up a decent bike/frame on closeout. I was a die-hard steelie, looking to upgrade my '98 Colnago Master. Came across the Focus brand, and had a hard time finding a negative review/comment, so I decided to take the plunge. Found an Izalco for $2,300, with full SRAM Red (list was over $4k). Liked it so much, bought another on closeout for $1,500 a few months later (full SRAM Force). That way, if you don't like it, you're not out full list price, and will have a better chance at selling for negligible loss. I picked up the 2nd in order to have a standard crank, since the 1st one was a compact for "light/hilly days".
    You have two bikes that basically only differ on the size of the chainrings?

I hope they're at least different colors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Re: worth it to go carbon or update what i have

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    You have two bikes that basically only differ on the size of the chainrings?

I hope they're at least different colors.
    Chainrings, colors, and cassettes. Black bike is newest...new custom wheels, saddle, hoods/tape are planned:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails worth it to go carbon or update what i have-uploadfromtaptalk1375379862129.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I agonized over a similar decision for a long time. I ended up deciding to upgrade my aluminum frame to steel to make my existing bike a bit more comfortable/improve fit.

I ended up deciding that I could probably lose some body weight I can't see 3 or 4 lbs on the bike making that big of a difference in performance, and besides which, I'm not racing. I hope the steel frame will be a bit more comfortable for longer rides.

If it doesn't work for me, I can always go purchase a new bike. I can't wait to do the build and start riding it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcjr View Post
    i am assuming it weighs a good 4 pds less than my bike
    A carbon frame alone won't save four pounds, it might save less than a pound.

If your Allez Comp fits you, keep the frame but buy a new Ultegra 6800 group, or a Force22 group, and some nice wheels for it. You will have a very nice bike. It will cost less than $3000 and you can always get a carbon frame sometime in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    IMHO, there's absolutely no need whatsoever to spend $3K on a CF bike, as long as you can get this Fuji Gran Fondo from Performance: www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1130989_-1_400309
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    A carbon frame alone won't save four pounds, it might save less than a pound.

If your Allez Comp fits you, keep the frame but buy a new Ultegra 6800 group, or a Force22 group, and some nice wheels for it. You will have a very nice bike. It will cost less than $3000 and you can always get a carbon frame sometime in the future.

What type of wheels i am no expert on bike parts and still learning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Carbon is very tough.
    Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike
    Don't get Ultegra if you are looking to lose weight. It is very heavy. Force is very light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    my bike with all accessories, lay down bar (not sure that is the correct name) was 23.7 on the scales