Nov 2004

wound up road forks?

http://www.woundupcomposites.com/road_fork.html

greetings all

anyone using these forks? opinions ?

many thanks in advance

Yo no fui.
    Ugly.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    i was not asking opinions about it's looks even though i do agree that they are not most attractive looking road forks. If you math then with a Pinarello 2009 model they do look ugly but if you math them with a custom Ti or steel road bike with thin slender old-school tubes they might actually look ok. I am told by a few people in the custom frame industry that these are some the best road forks money can buy (apart from looks) except 100gr on the heay side. I am also told they are very strong i.e. more crash worthy than most other carbon forks on the market. So I am asking owner/rider opinions about their functionality in real life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's mathing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    sorry for spelliong, math was meant to be match, i was typing too quick and 'c' was left out.

I think I found the answer I was after:

http://www.cyclingnews.com.au/road/2...hampsten_may08

if WoundUp forks are good enough for Andy Hampsten in 2008 in the mountains of Italy and Colorado then they are good enough for almost anyone reading this forum. Note that Andy could ride any frame he likes but he also chooses (and sells?) Titanium frames. Respect. Who said Ti and steel are dead on a road bicycle? 8^)

duh...
    if you were "told by a few people in the custom frame industry that these are some the best road forks money can buy (apart from looks) except 100gr on the heay side" and that "they are very strong i.e. more crash worthy than most other carbon forks on the market", then they are prob good enough for almost anyone reading this forum (no matter what their opinion). heck, they are good enough for Andy Hampsten in 2008 in the mountains of Italy and Colorado... now if people would just get on board w/ upturned stems like Andy apparently has

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

Decrepit Member
    Data point: Waterford sells Wound Up forks as an alternative to steel forks for their lugged steel frames. Here's a polished 953 lugged frame with a Wound Up fork, and it doesn't look too bad ATMO.

-Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wound Up carbon forks are a good match for steel frames. The polished crown and small diameter round legs look good with steel.

Although, I think that Waterford above can only look good with a matching fleur lugged fork. No carbon can match a steel fleur lugged frame IMO.

Domokun!
    One of my older steel "non-oversized tubed" bike has one on it. Back when 1" threaded was the norm... Never had any probs with it! Including it's fair share of rough treatment.
    " The ability to purchase an expensive bicycle does not make you a cyclist! "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider
    I am told by a few people in the custom frame industry that these are some the best road forks money can buy (apart from looks) except 100gr on the heay side. I am also told they are very strong i.e. more crash worthy than most other carbon forks on the market.
    yes. and stiffer than most as well.

i have several thousand miles on mine, which is attached to a reynolds 631 fixed gear frame. zero complaints. never crashed.

Fast No More.
    I've got one on my Waterford 1200. Love it. When it's time for a frame repaint I may just send the fork to Waterford as well.

Agree that they tend to look better on old-school frames than newer, oversized swoopy stuff.
    Work to Eat | Eat to Live | Live to Ride | Ride to Work

Decrepit Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    I've got one on my Waterford 1200. Love it. When it's time for a frame repaint I may just send the fork to Waterford as well.Agree that they tend to look better on old-school frames than newer, oversized swoopy stuff.
    -Stan
    my bikes