Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stumpcake!
    This was a bit over a year and a half ago but Bigrider got a custom lugged frame and fork from Wanta for under a grand.

I am so custom
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

BIKE GEEK
    I just bought a 2011 Masi Gran Criterium...lugged steel and under $2k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTF happened to steel bikes?????-masijpeg.jpg  
    -Tyler
    --2010 Trek 69er 3X9
    --2011 Masi Gran Criterium
    --2011 Blue Norcross SP
    --2014 Salsa Mukluk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    As far a mass produced goes I don't think steel makes sense from a business standpoint.

If you want to market cheaper bikes Aluminum is the way to go.

For more expensive bikes carbon is cheaper to make (I'm pretty sure), easier, and lighter (customers like light).

Nevermind quality.....that doesn't have much to do with marketing and profitability.

I think that's why steel bikes are kind of a niche market now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Soma, Surly, Raleigh, and Jamis all make very affordable steel frame bikes, sans the lugs.
    My 2010 Jamis Satellite Sport was a grand total of $625.00. Still, around 1K even with all the parts I replaced. They're out there....

RoadBikeReview Member

steel is real

I paid $900 for my Merckx Corsa 01, $400 for my De Bernardi SL and $600 for my Bob Jackson World Tour -- all nice lugged steel frames and brand new. Lugged steel frames are still out there, you just have to look for them. Some of the TIG steel frames are also very nice, such as Gunnar, and reasonably priced.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Burning Fists of Love

question

Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    I paid $900 for my Merckx Corsa 01, $400 for my De Bernardi SL and $600 for my Bob Jackson World Tour -- all nice lugged steel frames and brand new. Lugged steel frames are still out there, you just have to look for them. Some of the TIG steel frames are also very nice, such as Gunnar, and reasonably priced.
    Where did you get these.

If I cant sit on the bike , I dont buy it, just curious.
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bought the Merckx from a dealer, and it was one of the last 01's imported to the US. Bought the DeBe from another cycle shop that had advertised it on eBay and got no bids. Ordered the BJ direct from England. You can still order Bob Jacksons direct from the factory, and they'll paint them in just about any color for no extra charge. eBay is a great place to find steel lug frames, if you are patient and know what you're looking for.

Burning Fists of Love

even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Soma, Surly, Raleigh, and Jamis all make very affordable steel frame bikes, sans the lugs.
    My 2010 Jamis Satellite Sport was a grand total of $625.00. Still, around 1K even with all the parts I replaced. They're out there....
    I checked out Rivendell and the closest location is Bristol VA, 360+ miles away....OTOH, Raleigh as a bike brand is a 25 minute drive

Both have some rather cool looking frames, but as always, ride will be king

StraightEdge
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug

WHY is a steel bike no longer cheap (er)
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3989941_n.jpg

My 2010 Jamis Satellite Sport... I will be looking to upgrade to a 105 setup soonish, but in the meantime... orig cost was $600, upgraded the wheelset/saddle/stem/bars/tires/brakes... final cost was $1600ish. I love it.
    Steel is real, sucka.

n00bsauce
    It would look soooo much better with a horizontal top tube. Reminds me a lot of my Raleigh Professional, cept for the compact frame. This one isn't mine but it's pretty close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTF happened to steel bikes?????-raleigh-professional.jpg  
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Burning Fists of Love

appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    You can get a custom made steel frame for well under $2K. You can get an Asian made lugged frame for $500. And there are plenty of tig'd steel frames that are light and stiff. And Raleigh is offering complete steel bikes.

Steel is not the most common frame material anymore. But it isn't hard to find. You're not looking, or asking the right questions.
    Did you happen to have a link?

Appreciate the reply

still shedding season
    This thread pertains to my interests.

A lot of these have 1" head tubes, and some are/might be threaded. Is this something you (collectively) would buy without any issue, only if the price was right for the frame set, or totally avoid?

Burning Fists of Love

not considered

Quote Originally Posted by kykr13

A lot of these have 1" head tubes, and some are/might be threaded. Is this something you (collectively) would buy without any issue, only if the price was right for the frame set, or totally avoid?
    If it feels right in the ride, it could be baby sh!t tan and smell like grape jelly with cute orange stripes. I would ride it.....as long as it had lugs......

n00bsauce
    Where did you get these.

If I cant sit on the bike , I dont buy it, just curious.
    Go to a LBS that takes trade ins. I got a pristine Schwinn Circuit at mine for $225. Original tires with the nibs still intact. Original Shimano Sante components. Older steel frames can be easily updated with newer component groups if that's what you want or just ridden with the older groups.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by shudson16
    Here's my Stanyan. Frame and fork was ~$700. Nice ride,smooth and responsive. My everyday bike now, commuting,weekends and hopefully some light touring later this year.

Nice bike!

I'm actually not usually a fan of chromed lugs, but it sure works with the black frame. Liked the Stanyan from Day 1.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by kykr13

you know, I prefer a threaded headtube, headset and stem when it comes to looks. It is really nice to be able to dial it in without replacing stems!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    First-I commend you on fighting to cope with your Parkinsons and getting back to cycling.
    Second-I hear where you are coming from.
    It's actually kind of surprising that the extent of steel options "is what it is".
    Take a look at Torelli. They still believe in high quality steel.
    Gunnar-ditto. Tig welded rather than lugged, but it's the ride that counts.
    Are lugs really an important part of your preference? Someone mentioned Landshark. I love Landsharks, and mine is among my two favorites out of ten bikes, but Landsharks are most fillet brazed.
    And let me digress for a minute-back in the heyday of steel, there were an awful lot of lugged steel bikes that looked nice but rode like crap. It takes someone who really knows what they are doing to make a frame with steel and lugs that rides with the best attributes steel has to offer. Even then you can get some duds. I have a custom JP Weigle that has never ridden all that well for me. It sure looks purdy. It took Peter nine months to build it after a year of waiting for him to get started. John Slawta built my Landshark in a matter of days and it rides beautifully. And that leads into the problem with steel-it's almost impossible to build steel frames in mass production and get good results. Carbon offers a lot of advantages for the manufacturers-it's cheap to produce and fairly predictable/uniform in terms of end-product. Molds will do that. You can't mold the ohter materials. The downside is that it's not very durable, but the manufacturers would rather handle warranty claims than go back to labor intensive manufacturing or artisan craftsmanship. Artisan equals hairshirt in big company talk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Did you happen to have a link?

Appreciate the reply
    I don't know if you meant $2K for the frame, or whole bike. Here's some stuff that is in between:
    This guy has a bunch of new old stock lugged Bassos for cheap:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-Basso-Gap-C...item336168c50b

The Soma Stanyan frame and fork: http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-1...rce=googlebase

Fully custom lugged frame:
    http://www.banjobicycles.com/prices.html

English production:
    http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frames/20/professional

No, you probably aren't going to be able to test ride everything. Sometimes you have to push the "I believe" button and assume that professional frame builders know how to make a bicycle, then get fitted so you know what size to get and how to equip it. Otherwise, go with the Raleighs, which you may be able to try at a dealer. The Tiagra Grand Prix is around $1200 complete, and the Record Ace with Ultegra is $1900. Both Reynolds 520 lugged frames, the current equivalent of 531.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    you know, I prefer a threaded headtube, headset and stem when it comes to looks. It is really nice to be able to dial it in without replacing stems!
    You're not helping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FSonicSmith
    And that leads into the problem with steel-it's almost impossible to build steel frames in mass production and get good results. Carbon offers a lot of advantages for the manufacturers-it's cheap to produce and fairly predictable/uniform in terms of end-product. Molds will do that. You can't mold the ohter materials. The downside is that it's not very durable, but the manufacturers would rather handle warranty claims than go back to labor intensive manufacturing or artisan craftsmanship. Artisan equals hairshirt in big company talk.
    I'm sorry, but this is pure hogwash. The majority of bicycles ever built were "production steel", and people have loved them for most of a century. Trek built a dynasty on automated lugged steel frames. I realize this is your opinion, but it seems to ignore reality. Production bikes didn't become uniform only in the last 10 years as carbon production ramped up.
    Last edited by rx-79g; 02-08-2011 at 12:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not lugged, but fillet braze, Curtlo will do a custom steel frame for under a grand. With a fork for around $1200.

RoadBikeReview Member
    None of these are lugged, but...

Don't forget Gunnar (built by Waterford)

http://gunnarbikes.com

Or an even more affordable way to get a Waterford

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...ducts_id=11744

For the money it's hard to beat Surly and Salsa, both owned by QBP, so just about any LBS can order them for you

http://www.surlybikes.com/

http://www.salsacycles.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    I'm sorry, but this is pure hogwash. The majority of bicycles ever built were "production steel", and people have loved them for most of a century. Trek built a dynasty on automated lugged steel frames. I realize this is your opinion, but it seems to ignore reality. Production bikes didn't become uniform only in the last 10 years as carbon production ramped up.
    It is hogwash to you, truth to me. Just because Trek "built a dynasty" on them didn't make them good bikes. I had a couple of those Trek mass produced lugged bikes and they were not great. They were acceptable, and barely that. Folks bought them because they were what was available and they were marketed well. Once Trek got big, they moved production of their steel frames overseas and the bikes were mediocre at best. Right around that time their better frames were being offered in aluminum. Then came the aluminum/carbon mix-the ubiquitous green Trek with carbon stays and fork. And then came OCLV, but I digress. How many of those old steel mass production frames do you see being ridden now? Not many. They were not only heavy, but they felt dead as a doornail too. The vintage steel that is still ridden by anyone more enthusiastic than college students looking for something to get to class with are inevetably handbuilt frames. Again, you may not have read what I wrote carefully-I love steel and prefer it to any other material-when it's done right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Steel is having a small come back and I am sure you will see more choices during 2011 & 2012

Most will be the type of frames you see with Surly, Salsa, Jamis, Schwinn, Specialized, etc - 4130 and 4130DB in tig

We are attempting to bring back some lugged steel; but it is expensive and people do not see the real advantage

Lots of road bikes in hi-grade steel will be around in the next year from $300 to $1500

Over $1500; Ti seems to soak up the customers that might be interested in steel
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

Burning Fists of Love

so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    None of these are lugged, but...

Don't forget Gunnar (built by Waterford)

http://gunnarbikes.com

Or an even more affordable way to get a Waterford

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...ducts_id=11744

For the money it's hard to beat Surly and Salsa, both owned by QBP, so just about any LBS can order them for you

http://www.surlybikes.com/

http://www.salsacycles.com/
    The Rivendell also had a waterford frame hmmmm....Thanks to you folks who maintained their grip on the bike world, I think what I have learned can be summarized as follows:

Be patient and look. There area afew shops who I am sure wouild let me try on a bike or 2 locally.

Meanwhile, I can spend the next 12 to 18 months saving bucks and teaching my legs how to suffer again as well as drop some lbs.....Me likey alot

Thanks again all and I very much would like to asee any and all ideas. Apparently, I m not alone in this want to ride the bike you saw as a kid or had racing ability crowd. My bud who intro'd me to bikes WAAAAAAAAAY back in the EARLY 80's had a mean machine and my loaner from him was a dream...that was then..oh well

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast