Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    your god hates me
    OP is looking for a turning-50-milestone "Bike Of Your Life" and you guys are complaining about a measly 15 month wait list? Suck it up! 50 only comes once...and it's not like he's not going to be riding his other bike(s) while the milestone frame is being built.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    bought my c-59 for my 50th birthday, but several years early. life is short. eat desert first

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    OP is looking for a turning-50-milestone "Bike Of Your Life" and you guys are complaining about a measly 15 month wait list? Suck it up! 50 only comes once...and it's not like he's not going to be riding his other bike(s) while the milestone frame is being built.
    I wouldn't say anyone is complaining but yes you have the jist of it.
    But I supposed 51 and a half only comes once too so maybe waiting when you could get something just as good and not is a fine idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I wouldn't say anyone is complaining but yes you have the jist of it.
    But I supposed 51 and a half only comes once too so maybe waiting when you could get something just as good and not is a fine idea.
    Op will still have the bike when he turns 50. And will only ride better sooner rather than later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't find the thread, but aren't you the one who waited eight years for a custom bike? After being told it would take six?

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I can't find the thread, but aren't you the one who waited eight years for a custom bike? After being told it would take six?
    Yeah, thread title is "The Way-yay-ting is the Haaaard-est Part" or something like that. So the idea that a 15 month wait is a "dealbreaker" for some folks is just completely laughable to me.

is riding in MOPP4
    Yeah, thread title is "The Way-yay-ting is the Haaaard-est Part" or something like that. So the idea that a 15 month wait is a "dealbreaker" for some folks is just completely laughable to me.
    I hear you. Those guys who can't wait wait a year an a half for *a bike* are complete noobs! I'm still waiting for my handmade beauty welded personally by Edoardo Bianchi himself, and have been told that I will receive it at the pearly gates. Only 40 more years (Lord willing) to go!
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anybody considered No.22? Their titanium frames look great and they have some beautiful finish options. I haven't heard any feedback on them, I'm just curious if the OP or anyone here has looked at them. May be an option for a dream bike. I am looking into getting a ti frame and this looks like it may fit my list.

https://22bicycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    Anybody considered No.22? Their titanium frames look great and they have some beautiful finish options. I haven't heard any feedback on them, I'm just curious if the OP or anyone here has looked at them. May be an option for a dream bike. I am looking into getting a ti frame and this looks like it may fit my list.

https://22bicycles.com
    Not custom geometry. Which doesn't make them bad but kinda defeats the purpose of paying a lot and waiting for a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Not custom geometry. Which doesn't make them bad but kinda defeats the purpose of paying a lot and waiting for a bike.
    They do custom geometry (for $500 extra).

Not trying to derail the thread, just thought I'd see if this would be an option for the OP and if anyone has any feedback on this brand. On a side note, I love that Moots is doing anodized "decals" now. I think those graphics look much better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    They do custom geometry (for $500 extra).
    My mistake then. Sorry, didn't realize that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    there's a No.22 dealer near me, and I've checked out a couple of their frames. They look and feel like excellent frames.

If i were to start a ti project bike, I would consider buying just the raw frame from a good builder or buy a good used ti frame, and then have the frame anodized and partially painted or may be polished by a local shop. At this stage in my cycling life, I'm so over admiring the "ti welds" and "ti magic ride" and "ti brushed finish". What I really want is a uniquely aesthetic frame, and I feel that no builder can do this. So just give the the raw frame and I'll do the rest locally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    This really comes down to how much smug you want in your frame. Moots is a level 9 smug. Those that own them literally don't believe there are any other frame makers on the planet. Firefly is a level 6, but if you pay to jump the line the smug level goes to 11. Win/win - all the smug possible AND fast delivery!

Now, if you want to really be on the cutting edge order an Engin. That is literally a one man operation. Doesn't get much more exclusive than that. The smug level was recently a 7, but went up to 9.5 when he announced that his wait list was so long he wouldn't even talk to you. Ordering recently reopened though. So the smug factor is probably down to 8 or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    ^ and what's so special about an Engin? Looks like run of the mill stuff that you can get from any custom builder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    ^ and what's so special about an Engin? Looks like run of the mill stuff that you can get from any custom builder.
    It appears the joke went far over your head.

Anyway, with road bike frames it's all kinda "run of the mill" isn't it? In the case of his mountain frames, he does some pretty nice unique stuff... Makes his own dropouts, makes his own 2 piece cnc machined chainstay yoke, makes his own ti axles, makes headtubes and bottom bracket shells himself, headtubes have a machined logo...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Love my Lynskey, but those finish options on the Firefly look awesome! Whatever you chose, know that you are getting a bike of a lifetime. Enjoy it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    So if folks are paying to jump the queue and you are are in the regular queue, what are the chances that you literally never move forward in the queue? I personally find this practice a bit unethical
    When I got my Firefly, they told me the way it works is, they include in their schedule several slots (2 or 4, I think it was) every 3 months to fit in the people who pay to advance in the queue. So there are only a limited number, and they're already scheduled in, so it doesn't push anyone back.

- Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    When I got my Firefly, they told me the way it works is, they include in their schedule several slots (2 or 4, I think it was) every 3 months to fit in the people who pay to advance in the queue. So there are only a limited number, and they're already scheduled in, so it doesn't push anyone back.

- Tim
    well being that they're like a 4 man operation, then time spent building the extra 2 or 4 bikes means time not available to build the bikes already in queue, and bikes in queue will now have to wait while they divert resource to building the other 2-4 bikes. They just planned ahead to allocate resources to reap a little more rewards from those 2-4 customers willing to pay. Ultimately, they're pitting customers against customers. Still a shady practice IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    well being that they're like a 4 man operation, then time spent building the extra 2 or 4 bikes means time not available to build the bikes already in queue, and bikes in queue will now have to wait while they divert resource to building the other 2-4 bikes. They just planned ahead to allocate resources to reap a little more rewards from those 2-4 customers willing to pay. Ultimately, they're pitting customers against customers. Still a shady practice IMO.
    I suppose they could justify it (to themselves and SOME customers) by working OT/Weekends on customers that paid a rush fee but going typical 9-5, or whatever, on commoners bikes and exclusively 9-5 if no such rush fees were paid.

I definitely see it that way you do though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Not "extra". Just spots on the normal schedule that say john doe until someone pays the extra fee. At least I think that's what he's saying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Not "extra". Just spots on the normal schedule that say john doe until someone pays the extra fee. At least I think that's what he's saying.
    Yes, that's the way it works - they schedule a certain amount of time per bike, and each slot is assigned to someone in the queue; the ones for people who pay extra are part of the schedule already, so when they are filled, the schedule does not change.

I'm not sure what happens if/when one or more of those slots isn't filled by the time it's next in the queue; I'd suppose everybody gets bumped up by as many slots as weren't filled.

The folks, above, who don't like this system, seem to be saying that if they didn't do this prescheduled allocation, then the queue would be smaller so everyone would get their bike faster. But since the queue is so huge already anyway (14 months or whatever), I think not having those prescheduled slots wouldn't make a significant difference in how fast people would get their bikes, or would just get filled up by people in the regular queue anyway.

- Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I'd buy one of these schmancy Ti bikes over a schmancy car any day. Still, I have reservations:
    - I am built to the standard specifications for a 5'10" American male and have no need of custom geometry.
    - I seriously doubt that these frames "ride better" than a stock frame from a reputable manufacturer with the same geometry.

So, essentially I'd be paying thousands extra for some slightly nicer welds, perhaps some nice anodizing and a very "cool" name on the downtube that really only a handful of cycling cognoscenti are going to appreciate anyway... Maybe that's worth it, maybe not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12