RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Advice on new BMC purchase

Advice on BMC Road Bikes?
    Hey guys, I'm new here, and I've been doing copious amounts of research on the BMC roadbikes, Team Machine, Race Machine and Road Racer and I just wanted to hear some other people's thoughts.

I was going to purchase this bike:
    https://m.competitivecyclist.com/fra...012-10666.html

Is it worth it to use this as a beginner bike?

Am I better off saving a little bit more to get a Race Machine or Team Machine?

I want a road bike from BMC that I can race and ride for 100mile+ trips, and I want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Your link doesn't work. What bike is it? What is your budget?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
    Your link doesn't work. What bike is it? What is your budget?
    Does this link work?
    2012 BMC Road Racer SL01/Shimano Ultegra Di2 Complete Bike - 2012 - Competitive Cyclist

Its a road racer SL01 2012 with shimano ultegra di2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Have you ridden any of the bikes? Fit and feel may be different on every bike so it is a good idea to ride before you buy. If you haven't and don't have a BMC dealer near you its a tough call. Kind of risky to buy an expensive bike without knowing for sure it feels good to you. I have a BMC and absolutely love it. I also rode a bunch of other bikes before buying and that helped me make my decision. The Di2 components are awesome but can't comment on the frame as I haven't ridden that model. Everything I have read about it has been really positive. Good luck to you.

Get me to In&Out
    Umm...that is an amazing beginner bike. The frame and company are solid and the components are top notch. Competitive Cyclist is blowing stuff out right now and definitely worth jumping on the band wagon.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Have you ridden any of the bikes? Fit and feel may be different on every bike so it is a good idea to ride before you buy. If you haven't and don't have a BMC dealer near you its a tough call. Kind of risky to buy an expensive bike without knowing for sure it feels good to you. I have a BMC and absolutely love it. I also rode a bunch of other bikes before buying and that helped me make my decision. The Di2 components are awesome but can't comment on the frame as I haven't ridden that model. Everything I have read about it has been really positive. Good luck to you.
    Well that's the problem, I live on Brooklyn and the only BMC dealer I can find in the whole city of New York is R&A Cycles and the guys who work there are total pricks, they don't even allow you to sit on the bikes to test the fit

If any of you live in NYC or know BMC dealers I would love to actually sit on the bike to make sure I'm a 54

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by javierabegazo View Post
    Well that's the problem, I live on Brooklyn and the only BMC dealer I can find in the whole city of New York is R&A Cycles and the guys who work there are total pricks, they don't even allow you to sit on the bikes to test the fit

If any of you live in NYC or know BMC dealers I would love to actually sit on the bike to make sure I'm a 54
    My SL01 is a 54. Come to Chicago and you can ride it all you want.
    Seriously, PM me if I can help in any way. I know it may not be much help but you never know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    My SL01 is a 54. Come to Chicago and you can ride it all you want.
    Seriously, PM me if I can help in any way. I know it may not be much help but you never know.
    Small world. My wife also has the 54 and we just moved from Chicago 2 months ago. You used to never see a BMC in Chicago. I was probably the first!

Back to the op thread. With experience on almost every BMC out there, SL01 is less expensive but heavier, RM01 is lighter, stiffer and more expensive, and of course the Team Machines have it all. I personally liked the RM01 but my best friend prefers the Team Machine. Again, my wife's on the SL01 and has no regrets with her 15lbs race capable bike.

Or, get an IMPEC. ;-)
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Of you that have the BMC frames, do they fit smaller or larger? I'm just wanting to know a bit more from the fit calculator. I'm 5'9" with longer legs an a shorter torso

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 5'9" with 34" bike inseam. I'm riding a 55 SLR01 with a 110mm stem. Bars are 10.5 cm below the top of the saddle, which requires a slammed -17 deg stem. I could easily fit on a 53, and would likely get a 53 if I was buying one today.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I am 5'9" with a 31.25" inseam. I ride a 54 with a 100mm stem flat to get about 10cm of drop to a level bar and hoods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I absolutely love my 2012 SLR01 Team Machine. I put almost 12,000 miles on it last year. That includes many day rides of 150+ miles, and a 300 mile record-breaking ride across Wisconsin. Not one single saddle sore or comfort problem. And yet, the bike responds like a cheetah.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I don't get why a shop wouldn't let you sit on or test a bike you are planning to buy. That's one I've never seen before....
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Any updates? Did you get one yet? Been traveling so late to respond on the sizing question, so here it goes if late. I have a 32" inseam but for me the reach from saddle to bar was the most important part. I ended up getting a 53cm Team Machine due to the reach. Feels great with a small stem adjustment. IMO, BMC's run a little big on size. My Colnago is a 54 and I had a Ciooc that was a 56. Curious, but every bike is different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Hey, thanks so much for all the input about how the frame fits, thats the second time I've heard that BMC frames fit a little large. i havent purchased the bike yet only because im waiting on a check to come in te mail that will provide the rest of what i need to order the bike along with some new pedals,

i was mostly curious if the road racer frame was proportionately inferiorer to the racemachine frame to warrant spending another 1k on the bike but im feeling like ill settle on the roadracer, it appears that all the components it comes with are nothing to sneer at either, like the kysrium elite wheels, that they sell by themselves for $800

My only remaining concern is that te bike cannot be fitted with a mechanical groupset, the rep from competitive cyclist told me that the 2012 frames from BMC were exclusively built for one or the other

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    My only remaining concern is that te bike cannot be fitted with a mechanical groupset, the rep from competitive cyclist told me that the 2012 frames from BMC were exclusively built for one or the other
    What mechanical groupset are you going to use?

I've owned a RR and now ride a RM. I love the RM better because the geometry is identical to my first ever bike (and other more reasons of course).

Now if CC pulls through on my RM claim for the 2nd time I'm giving it to my wife. Long story, but let me tell you this: BMC makes great bikes.

My advice: put in the extra $1000 and be satisfied on a brand new Di2 RM.
    Last edited by B05; 05-21-2013 at 04:46 PM.