RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

BMC carbon frames: are they really so fragile?

There are a lot of threads in the room about cracked BMC carbon fiber frames. Are they really so fragile?

I am asking this because I bought my SL01 just at the beggining with the idea to use it only in the week end, but now I love so much that bike that it became my commuting bike as well.
    Last edited by teddyuk; 03-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    BMC Roadracer SL01 Ultegra 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    no comments??

have droids, will party
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I've got about 5k miles on my SLR01 and so far so good. They haven't all been easy miles, alot of crummy roads here in the AL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I've got about 5k miles on my SLR01 and so far so good. They haven't all been easy miles, alot of crummy roads here in the AL.
    As in most forums, people are much more likely to post a problem or complain than they are to report in that everything is just fine.

11k miles on my SLR01, crappy pavement and some dirt roads, 165lb, no cracks.

IMO, you should ride it hard and at every opportunity you get.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    As in most forums, people are much more likely to post a problem or complain than they are to report in that everything is just fine.

11k miles on my SLR01, crappy pavement and some dirt roads, 165lb, no cracks.

IMO, you should ride it hard and at every opportunity you get.
    I am using it every single day in the last month… I am 180 lb... but it is going down!

The roads here in London are not great but I saw worst, so I can't complain!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I've put 10k miles on my SLC01, hit potholes, dropped off curbs, caught air, and just the other day crashed it, no cracks, not even a scratch in the paint

Master debator.
    I've got a 2010 SLC01. I weigh between 195 and 175 depending on the time of year and I've had no problems. It sees trainer duty in the winter also. I have bunny hopped pot holes, taken it on rough rocky roads, and put many thousands of miles on it. I still love it, and don't see the need to replace it yet,.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I could be wrong, but I think these BMC and Trek (low-mid end) and Specialized carbon frames are made in China so that could be why they I read about failures.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by steel515 View Post
    I could be wrong, .
    you are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Over 12,000 miles on my one-year old SLR01, and the roads of SE Wisconsin are not the smoothest these days either. Also used on the indoor trainer, and survived a crash that broke my hip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    2009 BMC Pro Machine used over thousands of kilometres in the Rockies and no issues. You look after it and it will look after you. It's normally abuse and poor maintenance that ceases the issues like any other bike. BMC's are a quality bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I've had my SLT01 since 2006 and other than a small chip in the down tube clear coat it looks brand new. I've ridden the piss out of it...very durable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

BMC carbon frames: are they really so fragile?

I have had two BMC frames with no issue, except user error. I cracked my SLX01 with the garage and car rack so I would not say that was due to a fragile frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools View Post
    I have had two BMC frames with no issue, except user error. I cracked my SLX01 with the garage and car rack so I would not say that was due to a fragile frame.
    Tell me you didn't really do that. Plz ???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Dangrfield View Post
    Tell me you didn't really do that. Plz ???
    Oh, I did it alright. I am that guy. Everything held up pretty well. The forks piped out of the mounts and the rear tire strap snapped so there was no major damage to the rest of the bike. The top tube took the only impact from the house and it cracked. It did scratch up the car a tad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My close friend has had 3 fail within a year (SLC01 cracked at the snork, replaced by a RM01, cracked at the chainstay replaced by a SLR01 the last one the fork leg snapped in front of everyone without reason and he cracked a 404 and SR lever) BMC was good enough to replace the wheel and lever at least. Ive had one fail, my wife has had one fail. I now ride another brand, my friend is crazy and has a second SLR01 now but has other brands and my wife is about to upgrade to a S-WORKS Amira before anything goes wrong.

I used to love the brand, back before anyone knew what they were but they seem to be made in Asia entirely and lost that Swiss precision. IMPEC fiasco put me off. I have no regrets on what I am riding and hopefully BMC has it together for 2014. That TMR01 looks nice.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    CL,

Weren't all of the quality control issues back before 2011 or so. Have there really been issues on tehir newer bikes (this is serious question)?
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bikes mentioned were all 2011 models or older, correct. Like the IMPEC however this is a case of too little too late or "Fool me once...". As much as I liked the brand back in the day, that ship has sailed, for me.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    The bikes mentioned were all 2011 models or older, correct. Like the IMPEC however this is a case of too little too late or "Fool me once...". As much as I liked the brand back in the day, that ship has sailed, for me.
    Fair enough. Thank you for the answer and info. I asked because the new BMC SLR02 is one of the final three or four bikes I am looking at (along with the Trek Domane, Look 675 and Bianchi Infinito CV). I was trying to get more intel on the brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Fair enough. Thank you for the answer and info. I asked because the new BMC SLR02 is one of the final three or four bikes I am looking at (along with the Trek Domane, Look 675 and Bianchi Infinito CV). I was trying to get more intel on the brand.
    Have you considered the BMC Granfondo? It may have a more comfortable ride than the SLR02.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Have you considered the BMC Granfondo? It may have a more comfortable ride than the SLR02.
    I have man and it was certainly a semi-finalist. My budget would only allow for the 105 version with BMC (given the price of their bikes) and I don't like the blue and white color of the GF01 105. Additionally I prefer internal cable routing, so with the BMC, I will need to strip and sell the 105 and switch over to Ultegra Di2. I can afford to do that at the SLR02 price, but not the GF01 price. The nice thing about this year's SLR01/02 is that it has a slightly taller headtube anyway (pretty close to my old Cervelo R3), so I should be fine if I go that route. I definitely prefer a 130mm-140mm headtube in a size 52/51/small these days though so I can slam the stem and remain comfortable in the drops without a stack of spacers or a +17 stem (which me no likey).