Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I had an interesting experience on my RM-01 this weekend.

On Sunday, we had some nice warm weather, and I was looking to do a fairly long flat ride.

End up doing 70 miles of paved rail trail at a pretty good clip.

Just about halfway through the ride, the bike developed a fairly loud creak. In or out of the saddle, any time I was applying more than a little power.

It was loud enough that I was worried something had broken or come loose, so I nursed it back home and took it into the shop.

I went in today and talked to the mechanics about it. They agreed it sounded like a bottom bracket, so we pulled the cranks and torq tight BB Adapter, re-greased all of the interfaces and re-torqued all of the chainring bolts. None of this helped. The creak was still there.

At that point one of the guys started going over everything (stem, bars, seatpost, pedals, etc..) just loosening and re-torquing, double checking everything. Again, no improvement.

Then one of the guys had an ah-ha moment, reached down and grabbed the rear thru axle lever arm and gave it a twist. Sure enough, just turning the bolt made that same creaky grindy noise. So he pulled the rear wheel, and the thru axle adapters from the frame, including the derailleur hangar, and cleaned it all and reassembled it with a thin layer of lithium grease, and sure enough the noise was gone. Just for the heck of it we gave the same treatment do the front axle and interfaces. The bike is perfectly quiet now.

I had built the bike up myself from the frameset, and just out pure laziness the thru axle bolts and threads were all dry. It was something I had planned to get around to when I gave the bike a once-over after the first ride, and just never did it.

Anyway, lesson learned. Thru axles are new to me on this bike.

I'm not sure why the noise came on so suddenly and dramatically (it was loud enough that people were giving me funny looks ). It was the first really warm (80+ degree) day we've had this year. Other than that, no idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Thank´s for posting this detailed information!!
    I´m sure that will be interesting for all of us in future when thru axle bolts will be more common as today.

I still wait for the components of the new Dura Ace 9170 (Di2/Disc) components in oder to build up my new RM.

My local dealer promised me that the German Shimano-distributor will start shipping the stuff in the beginning of July.

What about the missing 9170 components in USA?

Do you have already something on the road or even seen in the shops?

Best regards

Frank

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    My local LBS has a 2018 SLR-01 on display in full 9170 Di2 kit. It's technically for sale, but the owner claims it as their personal property at this point.

Otherwise, i think were hearing July for most of the components as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    How much is he asking for bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    There is no hang tag on that bike. It's the top of the line 2018 SLR-01 in red/gray (gorgeous too!), and full Dura Ace 9170 Di2. I believe MSRP is $12k. That shop is in a part of town where there are plenty of customers willing to pay that kind of money for a bike. It'll be interesting to see if they are willing to sell it to the first person willing to pay full price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    I can give you the weight of my RM01, Di2 ultegra, which ist 7,9 kg in 56cm size. weight ist measured with older Dura ace pedals. maybe this will help a bit ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    So it seems that we all have to wait until mid of July at least.

But that´s not so big problem for me; I have something to ride on:

The frameset and the other components like wheels, bar, saddle and pedals are already in house.

I will keep you informed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    So the r9170 finally starts to appear on some eshops in germany. I already ordered shifters on ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    not a roadmachine, but the new teammachine, fully outfitted with 9170 in a local shop.

It's a 51cm, and right now, it might as well be made of unobtanium. There is a hang tag on it, but the store manager just chuckles when I ask if it's for sale. "Nope, that one's MINE!".

I asked about the availability of 9170 components (via their distributor), and got a chuckle. There might be a few odds and ends available, but i don't think you'll be able to get a full component set before early fall (just a guess).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I visited my local BMC dealer yesterday and he showed me the 9170 shifters and discs for a first touching.

My orderd groupset DA 9170 will be delivered next week, but the Dura Ace power crank-set is still delayed. He expect it in second week of July.

So I have to wait i little bit longer but I will handle it with a feeling of happiness .

Time to wait is running out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2016
    700 miles on my RM01 and zero regrets.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456