Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

BMC Roadmachine!

248K views 386 replies 68 participants last post by  OldGuy99 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#167 · (Edited)
Great to find a thread with so much detail on the BMC RM - been looking for ages. Thought i'd share my ride and mods - I've got the RM01 mechanical Ultegra, White/Blue/Red in 58 frame size -it came in weighing a hefty 8.52kg. I'm now at 7.9kg on the nose, including pedals, 2 x bottle holders and GPS mount -it feels like a whole different beast and I LOVE it.

Wheels: Hunt30 Carbon Aero (1338g) + Schwalbe Pro 1s, tubeless
Saddle: Pro Falcon Carbon (163g)
Pedals: Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti (170g pair)
Bars: 3T Ergonova Stealth (198g)
Groupset: Stock Ultegra, but with Stages G2 left arm power meter

Attachments

#170 ·
I own the RM01 Di2 Ultegra and have 2 questions:
1.) does anybody know the brand/manufacturer of the bar-tape? I Need to replace my orange tape ....
2.) does anybody have durability Trouble with the stock "3T discus Team stealth wheels"? My rearwheel suffered a broken spoke after 2200km and 3 month of use, am at 82kg weight. Now I am waiting for a warranty replacement for 7!!! weeks now. Seems 3T is not the most customer friendly brand... shutdown their facility in August for summer Holiday.
Thanks !!!

#171 ·
Hate to say it but the bar tape is almost certainly from 3T as well. BMC has been using 3T tape as OEM for ages now. Maybe for all of the time. Good luck getting anything out of that company.

Lots of nice orange bar tapes out there on the market.

#173 ·
If it is 3T bar tape,I will not buy in any way... ;-).... There is no Feedback from them in 8 weeks. So the wheelset is the most expensive Piece of high-tech-crap I ever saw... honestly any product can be subject to a failure, but the Thing is how you deal with this.... I got a replacement rearwheel from my LBS, which keeps me riding my RM01... anyway - 8 weeks for the warranty replacement of one broken spoke is far too Long.

#174 ·
Hey all! I am interested in a road machine and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I am working with my LBS who has an extra RM02 frame that they stripped for another customers build. The frame is brand new, they just did a long time client a favor so that he could get an RM01 frame with Di2.

With that being said, they in turn are able to build up the RM02 frame utilizing all stock BMC parts and full ultegra for nearly a 40% discount. Its a great deal, and the LBS is very reputable.

The only issue is the frame is the bright yellow frame....I like it, but wanted to get the general thoughts on the frame color.

#175 ·
Hey all! I am interested in a road machine and wanted to get everyone's thoughts. I am working with my LBS who has an extra RM02 frame that they stripped for another customers build. The frame is brand new, they just did a long time client a favor so that he could get an RM01 frame with Di2.

With that being said, they in turn are able to build up the RM02 frame utilizing all stock BMC parts and full ultegra for nearly a 40% discount. Its a great deal, and the LBS is very reputable.

The only issue is the frame is the bright yellow frame....I like it, but it is it complete craziness?
Do it! Great deal, and I thought the yellow was good different in person.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#180 ·
Picked up a '17 58cm RM01 with Ultegra Di2 this week on an end of season deal. Never thought I'd want electronic shifting let alone need it, but after 50 miles, I'm really liking it! Wondered if anyone has installed the Pioneer power meter on their's as I'm concerned with non-drive said chainstay clearance. I have the Wahoo cadence pod there now but it's using the double-sided tape as the silicone mount looked like it was not going to clear.

#182 ·
Just received my 47cm RM01 (white/blue) Ultegra mech with highest stack. Came from a 2015 Felt AR-5 with Shimano C50 WH-9000 wheels. I am 5'7" with (an unusually short) 28" inseam. After one 17mi ride, the sizing feels good. I'm glad I didn't go with a 51cm as that would have been too big.

After one ride, I can already tell differences. On flats, the RM isn't bad but it's not killer like my AR. On rolling/intermediate climbs, the RM feels great. It keeps rolling as if I'm able to transfer all my power to it and overcomes it with much more ease without going into my small front gear. My AR would typically struggle at the sight of hills. This is super exciting as I enjoy climbing hills and had a 32T on my AR. On intermediate descents, the RM feels nimble and planted. The cornering felt natural and fun. My AR feels artificial and muted in feel. Comfort-wise, I used the same tire specs and saddle and the RM was a bit more compliant. I wish it came with 28s.

With that said, I am seeing a fitter in a couple months and dreading the experience as the ICS won't allow for stem changes. Can someone enlighten me if the spacers (I used all 3) can be reduced during my fit?

Can someone also point me where I can purchase the Garmin/GoPro ICS stem plate? I can't find it anywhere.

Lastly, I really one day upgrade to the new Ultegra R8070 di2. Which pieces would be needed? Is it even compatible? Lol

#183 ·
Are you using the short or tall stack spacer?

As far as the spacers, mine came with 3 1cm spacers. I removed two of them and cut the steerer. If you just want to remove a spacer below your stacks spacer, you can loosen the stem and take it out by sliding it to one side and disengaging the locks (they are two piece). Note that if you remove the proprietary spacers below the stem, you will have to either cut the steerer, or put normal round 1cm spacers above the stem (under the stem cap) to compensate. Won't be a pretty sight.

Here is a link to the owners manual (I'm guessing you don't have one?). It shows how the spacers and stack adjustment work).
http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/file...2016-06-09_Roadmachine_Assembly_Manual_EN.pdf

Re: the Garmin/GoPro mount, those should have been in the box with the bike when it was built. If you didn't get them, I would go back to the place you bought it and insist they provide them. If you purchased second hand, ask the original owner. Otherwise you can have a BMC dealer try to order them for you (good luck) or find a 3D printed version on Shapeways (I got a Wahoo mount for mine there).

I think you are going to need pretty much everything in the groupset to upgrade to the 8070. You might be able to get away with keeping your current crankset, but it's my understanding that there are some minor changes to the chainline on the newer 8000 series cranks that may affect your front shifting.

Your observations are interesting to me. I was coming off of a decidedly not-aero BMC Gran Fondo, and found the RoadMachine much faster in the flats (partly due to the aero wheels and slightly more aggressivel riding position. I don't climb much if I can help it, but being a super clyde (6' 5" 220lbs) I appreciate the stiffness of the bottom end of that bike. It's the first bike I've ridden that I can absolutely hammer up a hill and not notice any flex in the bottom end (my Gran Fondo GF-01 also had a nicely stiff chassis). I do also share your positive thoughts on the compliance. I'm sure it's much better than most aero bikes, and nearly as comfortable as my trusty old GF-01.

#184 · (Edited)
The shop installed all three 1cm spacers with the high stack (or as the manual calls it, headset top cap). So, it's at the highest possible position. Even higher than its GF. I like it. Is it supposed to also come with the low stack top cap? If so, that means I'm missing that and the garmin mount...geez.

I have all the manuals in 5 million languages and a ton of garbage reflectors and head/tail lights straight out of 1995.

My bike fit is going to suck if I can't adjust the stem length and stack height.

I'm 160 lb and have experimenting with the psi. I had it at 91 not too long ago and dropped it to 87, which in reality is really closer to 84-85. It's not bad when going over manholes. Better than my AR. I go over the same ones weekly, so I'm familiar with the feel.

To be fair to my AR, the carbon isn't the premium type the RM01 uses. So maybe that has something to do with the power transfer.

#185 ·
BMC sells different length ICS stems. Talk to your shop. Be warned though, they are not cheap. My local shop has all of the variations in stock.

Most shops will sell the bike with the stem at the highest possible position to avoid cutting the steerer (or at least leave it as long as possible).

Yes, the bike should have come with two different top caps, three spacers and your garmin/go pro stem mount. I believe there were also some additional frame widgets. I would talk to the shop about this. You paid a lot of money for that bike. They should have provided those things.

If you plan on doing the front end adjustments yourself, be warned, taking the ICS apart and putting it back together is daunting. Especially if you have to pull the fork. Pay close attention to how the cables are routed through the head tube (which side of the fork the cables run on).

I already knew my fit numbers, and built my own bike, so I was able to size mine and cut the steerer before I ran the brake hoses. Since yours is already assembled, if you end up needing to cut you steerer, you will need to pull the front brake hose to completely remove the fork. If you lower (or raise) the bars substantially, you may end up having to shorter (or replace with longer) brake hoses too. It's a big job, and not for the mechanically disinclined.

#186 · (Edited)
So, I was able to pick up a Size 58 RM01 Udi2. I swapped out the oem 3T C35 Discus Carbon wheelset (for sale if anyone is interested) for a Reynolds ATR wheelset, which I'm running tubeless with IRC Formula RBCC 28s. Got my first ride in yesterday, and I thought it rode great. The only aspect that's taking some time to adjust to is the compact crankset - I'm coming from a standard double, and the 16t jump on the shift into the smaller ring is a little jarring. Of course, that has nothing to do with the frameset, which is a gem.

Attachments

#187 ·
Since you are running Di2, give the semi-syncro shift setting a try. It takes a little getting used to, but it takes some of the shock out of that big jump between rings (by compensating with one or two cog rear shifts).

I've been using it in standard two cog mode for about a month now, and I really like it.

#191 ·
So it appears my RM delivery is missing stuff. Can you guys chime in on what came w/ your bike?

I have the following:
- Documentation
- Bike (most if not all parts)
- A ton of reflectors
- Front and rear taillights
- Bell
- A few value stem pieces etc

Missing
- low stack headset top cap (high one being used)
- garmin stem plate

Is there anything else I'm missing? The shop that assembled couldn't find my missing parts.

Thanks.

#192 ·
So weird. Thought I posted something.

Anywho. What did your RM delivery come with? The shop that built my bike says they didn't see the lower stack headset top cap or the garmin mount.

Besides the bike, I got boatloads of manuals, reflectors and generic head and tail lights.

I want to make sure when I request missing parts that I get it all.

#193 ·
I bought a frameset, and not a built bike, so mine may have come with different stuff.

I received both high and low stack caps and some small frame plug parts to accommodate internal vs external cabling and mechanical vs Di2.

I also got the lights and reflectors.

It's been a while, so I don't recall how they were all packaged.

Mine didn't come with the Garmin mount and stem plate covers. I asked about them at the shop and was told some of the very early shipments didn't have them. The shop just handed me a small bag that had those parts in it.

#196 ·
@N8236: my RM01 Di2 did also miss the garmin Mount and the lower stack cap. I had to purchase the Garmin Mount here in Germany. Also the conversion kit from di2 to mechanical shifting was not included. I asked my lbs for it. They told me that everything of These items can be purchased seperately. the garmin Mount was 18,- EUR here in Germany. I do not understand the policy of BMC. It is unclear what a seatpost/stem/ and all the other spareparts will cost.... no Information. Only way is to go to your local dealer! If anyone from Germany is interested in an 3T discus Team stealth wheelset, please let me know. I will sell mine with about 3.000 km on it.

#200 ·
I also think that it is very poor performance from BMC to have different packages for their bikes. Maybe it depends on the
country where you buy it, but I do not think so, as the packages are assembled in Taiwan I guess.
I asked my dealer before ordering the bike and he confirmed that
-headset cone
-mechanical conversion kit
are included with the bike.
Getting the bike, it was not included. If I need the parts, “I can certainly buy those” was the reply of my LBS guys.
The Garmin Mount was not available that time!
So I would have expected BMC to send it “free of charge” if you bought one of those bikes… They have a bike priced 6999,- EUR and
want me to pay 18 EUR for a Garmin Mount?? Well, I paid for it, I thought it was a little bit funny…

One more thing: I did calculate every single part of my RM01 Di2 and found out, that the total price
will be lower than the complete bike from BMC. That was the time when I realized that the prices were calculated by
throwing the dice J. If you intend to buy one, keep negotiating hard!

In the end I can say that in case of quality issues of their sub-suppliers, there is NO support, not even an e-mail from
BMC side, which cares about the customer. I contacted BMC Swizzerland directly, I contacted their sub-supplier, I talked to my LBS guys
several times, but BMC left me without any notice of customer care for 10 weeks now. This is not what I would expect from a high-tech, high-price
company like BMC. They are spending so much money on their product presentations. Why do they not spend a little on
customer care? My opinion: they have a great product, but also a great lack of customer care!!! Missing the customer
service of BMC the bikes are priced far too high! In my opinion they should focus on the people who pay their jobs!

#201 ·
Wanting some honest opinions here. I ended up going with the build (from the previous post) with the yellow frame as the price was right. With that being said, when the shop was building the bike up, they noticed a small crack.

Now my options are the 2017 black with white/silver frame or the 2018 ultegra di2 frame that is orange and green.

I know this is a very personal decision, but just wanted the opinion of others who either own or are in the market for a roadmachine, and see what you guys think. I havent been able to see find any "real-life" photos of the new 2018 orange frame.

FYI - I am getting rid of a black bike and wanted to get a little more color, but not so sure with the green accents of the proposed new frame.

Thanks for taking the time on this dumb request for opinions. Just thought I would get some other's opinions as this is a pretty sizeable purchase :p

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.