banned
    Jan 2003

BMC Team Frameset

How is the build quality and ride quality of this frameset? How does it stack up against something like a Colnago C50?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Troy16
    How is the build quality and ride quality of this frameset? How does it stack up against something like a Colnago C50?
    If your looking @ the SLT01 team machine, it is awesome ride. I just ordered one this past week. I took it out for a 20 mile test ride, and its a rocket. Super stiff .. and comfortable.

I have not ridden the Colnago..but I have a buddy that has one .. and he said it was super stiff .. so much that it was not comfortable.

Both are awesome frames... a little different technology in the build..SLT has Aluminum lugs @ BB, Headtube and Seat tube (each forged from its own block of Alum.) Which makes this thing rock solid ..maybe a little stiffer than the C50.

If you have a local shop that has one ..I'd recommend test riding it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'd definitely want to test it.... frame sizing is a little weird. Also, keep in mind that even though youre buying a very nice and expensive frame, you're getting something made in Taiwann with a short warranty. You'll notice both details missing from the BMC website. I love the look of the BMC bikes--but they dont come with the service you'd expect from a high-end frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    you can easily buy a complete bike for the price of either frameset that is 100% as good. I thought about a BMC for as long as it took me to see that the wholesale price on the frame was $2900 and a DA10 C-dale 613 complete bike was many hundreds less (<5 minutes).

The good news is that if you're dropping $6-7K on a bike, you'll undoubtedly love it to death regardless of make.

RoadBikeReview Member

Isn't everything..

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinK
    You'd definitely want to test it.... frame sizing is a little weird. Also, keep in mind that even though youre buying a very nice and expensive frame, you're getting something made in Taiwann with a short warranty. You'll notice both details missing from the BMC website. I love the look of the BMC bikes--but they dont come with the service you'd expect from a high-end frame.

made in Taiwann these days, yet designed somewhere else? I mean come on, that tags getting a little old. I bet you couldn't tell the difference between a bike made in Taiwann and one in Italy, USA or Spain as far as that goes.
    Get this thing off my head!!!!!
    www.augustacrosscoalition.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    The very same argument could be used on most bikes above $1000 (what's the real difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra anyway?).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elviento
    The very same argument could be used on most bikes above $1000 (what's the real difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra anyway?).
    Besides the finish?

Dura Ace is half a pound lighter
    Dura Ace has 3 bearings in the shifter, Ultegra has 2 (smoother feel)
    Technically, Dura Ace is more durable (sorta kinda not so much though)

Same thing as Record/Chorus