RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Impec scoop & BMC Event today...

I rode out to the shop today to stop by and talk to the BMC rep about the Impec.

He said that they are still catching up on production of the Impecs. Despite not being seen in the training Spain video, Impecs will be raced and that's all he could say for now it.

Here are some photos of the Impec and the demo event today. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics, didn't want ride with my SLR.

I was able to ride the team edition Team Machine and that was quite the treat. BMC hosted a very impressive demo day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-1.jpg   Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo.jpg   Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-4.jpg   Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-3.jpg   Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-2.jpg  

Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-5.jpg   Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-7.jpg   Impec news & BMC Event today...-photo-6.jpg  
    Last edited by holy cromoly; 02-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing new.

Some friendly advice, get a SLR01 or consider another brand before you end up missing the season on a bike that is 2 years behind.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    Nothing new.

Some friendly advice, get a SLR01 or consider another brand before you end up missing the season on a bike that is 2 years behind.
    The SLR01 is a perfect bike indeed. BMC's weapon of choice the rep said.

If I was looking for a full carbon setup, it would be the Team Machine or Race Machine for sure.

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Thanks for posting this holy_cromoly.

CarbonLord raises some good points. The Impec is already 2 years old and hasn't even made it into regular production. Nobody is riding it. If you need warranty replacement, good luck. By the time you get it back, it'll be 2014 at this rate.

SLR is still their top bike. Nice, proven frame.

WTF = Wide Tire Fits
    Jan 2012
    ....That Shell Node Concept (SNC)..... Does anybody know why they called it "shell" instead of "lug"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFcyclist View Post
    ....That Shell Node Concept (SNC)..... Does anybody know why they called it "shell" instead of "lug"?
    I thought it was because the "lugs" are actually made from two half "shells"?
    And it's it's also probably just a catchy, unique marketing phrase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    I thought it was because the "lugs" are actually made from two half "shells"?
    And it's it's also probably just a catchy, unique marketing phrase.
    That's what I read too.

The lugs are split into two halves that sandwich the carbon tube. It's supposed to better, but I forgot what the spiel was.

It's marketing too I imagine, cause it could have easily been just called a "split lug", but when robots make something, i suppose it's fitting for a robot name like Shell Node Concept .

banned
    Oct 2010
    Lets be honest. Cadel winning the 2011 Tour on a SLR01 killed the Impec.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick890 View Post
    Lets be honest. Cadel winning the 2011 Tour on a SLR01 killed the Impec.
    I think making the bike available and then not delivering for nearly 2 years killed the Impec.

But Cadel winning the Tour didn't help either. They should have let him ride it on the Champs d'Elysees to at least get some exposure. Maybe they'll make amends this year...

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    I have yet to see it explained why the Impec is better than the SLR-01.

From what I have read, the SLR is lighter and snappier. It is without a question a world-class frame. Granted, the tubes are thin and this scares me a bit, but that just speaks more to my worries than anything to do with the SLR.

From what I hear, the fork on the SLR is an improvement over my old SLC-01.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    The tube walls on the Impec are thin too. The shop has a sample down tube as a display and I was amazed and apprehensive about the thin walls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Large diameter thin wall carbon is nothing new. My 2003 BMC SLT01 (Original) Team Machine, which I still ride has the same tube thickness... and has "lugs".
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxRomana View Post
    Thanks for posting this holy_cromoly.

CarbonLord raises some good points. The Impec is already 2 years old and hasn't even made it into regular production. Nobody is riding it. If you need warranty replacement, good luck. By the time you get it back, it'll be 2014 at this rate.

SLR is still their top bike. Nice, proven frame.
    Sure thing. I'll ask the rep when I see them again. They're by the shop quite often.

excellent point about warranty replacement.

trying to HTFU...
    test rode the slr01 today; brilliant ride, very composed, smooth and snappy. very efficient. the only negative is the huge frontal area, at higher speeds(20-25+) you can feel that you are using more power to maintain speed. my cervelo feels like it's slipping through the air; much easier to carry speed.

negatives about ride: SRAM red drivetrain is noisy; Easton wheels were sub-par for a bike like this(ea70se) would have been much better with lighter, slippery wheels.
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Seems like he only rides it for press photos

Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by holy cromoly View Post
    Seems like he only rides it for press photos
    Rumor has it that stuffed kangaroo is vertically compliant.